Guest viewing is limited

Dec. 27th Left Lateral PKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you exercise patience with your implant. Have you seen the video of what is done ? Its very traumatic. Why not a total replacement ? I believe your exuberance can be troublesome and perhaps why surgeons prefer older patients. In my head I can picture myself walking up stairs in 3 weeks but reality I probably wont and shouldnt even try. As you know im pre op so i just relaying on what I have read. Best of luck
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have watched some of the videos. A TKR is much more traumatic (lose the kneecap, much more bone removed, cutting into the quad muscles as well) than a partial and I don't need it.....yet lol. I will be good to go mate. I met with my OS again today. He reiterated that since I am having a partial and I am in very good shape, the timelines should be accurate. Plus, like yourself, I am at the lower end of the age bracket for these things. The doc has been doing this procedure (knee replacements) for 30 years. He also does paste grafts, microfracture, etc. He knows what he is doing. He said guys with my profile can do this timeline. Of course there can be setbacks. If so, we adjust. I am not going to do anything to wreck my implant, believe me. You're a good dude. I appreciate the concern. Hope to have a beer with you next time the family and I are up that way.

Check out this timeline. This is pretty much what we are shooting for.

https://www.louortho.com/documents/Oxford PKR RAPID RECOVERY - Sweet web_1.pdf
 
Last edited by a moderator:
lose the kneecap, much more bone removed, cutting into the quad muscles as well
You don't 'lose' the knee cap, it's just resurfaced, that's all. The patella (kneecap) is an integral part of the quads structure from pelvis to tibia.

And the quads isn't cut, it's gone around in the natural planes of division between it and the adjacent muscle.

This is pretty much what we are shooting for
It always makes me shudder when I see people trying to schedule their recovery like it was a vacation itinerary. It's not and you can't lay down a schedule for it. Knees don't like schedules! But perhaps yours will be more compliant than all the other PKRs we've seen on here.
 
Guys...

Listen to Josephine. She knows what she's talking about and it jibes PERFECTLY with what so many of us have experienced. See my thread. At nine weeks I thought I was "all about it" and I was wrong, wrong, WRONG. Knee replacement whether total or partial is a mind-boggling and very humbling experience. You all will be learning some tough life lessons. Best wishes to all of you.
 
You don't 'lose' the knee cap, it's just resurfaced, that's all. The patella (kneecap) is an integral part of the quads structure from pelvis to tibia.

And the quads isn't cut, it's gone around in the natural planes of division between it and the adjacent muscle.


It always makes me shudder when I see people trying to schedule their recovery like it was a vacation itinerary. It's not and you can't lay down a schedule for it. Knees don't like schedules! But perhaps yours will be more compliant than all the other PKRs we've seen on here.
Sorry, my bad on some of these statements displaying ignorance and some bad typing skills.

lol perhaps my knee will be more compliant, perhaps not.....Josephine, not sure what is wrong about being positive, enthusiastic and having some expectations about my recovery based on published literature. I do appreciate being here and being able to bounce things off of people and read about their stories and challenges, but should I start out on this path full of doubt, uncertainty and thinking I will be suffering for a long time?

Do you understand that I am scared to death right now and trying my best not to talk myself out of having this surgery, even if I have to sound like I am totally confident and optimistic? I know things could go wrong, that this is a very serious surgery. I know I am not Superman. I watched the procedure performed on video a couple nights ago (probably one of the dumbest things I have done). I know what they are going to do to my knee. I understand that it's going to be difficult, there will probably be setbacks, pain and inconvenience. I understand that you and some of the others will probably chuckle a little when I am not able to return to work full-time in 2 weeks and say "We told you so!". I get that TKR and PKR are similar surgeries and more traumatic than the ACL reconstructions I have had.

But I have believe that a patient's age, physical condition, tolerance and individual rate of healing are relevant here and that I will be able to function somewhat normally within 2-3 weeks, enough to at least begin working again.

Just to clarify, I don't intend to fly around and do cartwheels in two weeks (not even at 1 year) nor do I expect to be pain-free and without swelling. I am prepared mentally to deal with all of that. But I also don't have the luxury or a position with entitlements that allow me to take 4 weeks off from work. Just not going to happen.

I don't believe things will go perfectly, not even close. But I am confident that I am going to do (and not do) everything necessary to recover as quickly as possible, even if it means doing very little in the beginning. I have had suffered with this knee for 30 years and had 8 joint surgeries (6 surgeries on this knee) so I am not a stranger to suffering or being patient with recovery. I think everything will be fine.
 
It was a beautiful night last night, unseasonably warm, clear and breezy. Actually been having a good couple days with my knee, so much so that a ran for about a 1/2 mi. while walking the dog. Almost like my knee telling me "look, see? Everything is fine. We don't need surgery"....felt really good....and sad. Running had always been one of my best quick fix stress relievers. No hassle, just get outside and go. I will miss it.
 
Do you understand that I am scared to death right now and trying my best not to talk myself out of having this surgery, even if I have to sound like I am totally confident and optimistic?
Yes---we all have been there---those little frightening thoughts tend to sneak back in after we have attempted to banish them!

But I have believe that a patient's age, physical condition, tolerance and individual rate of healing are relevant here and that I will be able to function somewhat normally within 2-3 weeks, enough to at least begin working again.
I hope you are right about this---I really do---but many of us have thought the same thing and have found out differently.

I have had suffered with this knee for 30 years and had 8 joint surgeries (6 surgeries on this knee) so I am not a stranger to suffering or being patient with recovery. I think everything will be fine.
Again; I also had some knee surgeries---many of us did---but none of us had a TKR or a BTKR until that big day---and we had to, for the most part, throw out everything we thought about TKR surgery and recovery.

I hope that your surgery and recovery goes along seamlessly and easily; realistically, though, the vast majority of us had some issues during recovery.

I do not want to be a downer; but I have to realistic.
 
Yes---we all have been there---those little frightening thoughts tend to sneak back in after we have attempted to banish them!


I hope you are right about this---I really do---but many of us have thought the same thing and have found out differently.


Again; I also had some knee surgeries---many of us did---but none of us had a TKR or a BTKR until that big day---and we had to, for the most part, throw out everything we thought about TKR surgery and recovery.

I hope that your surgery and recovery goes along seamlessly and easily; realistically, though, the vast majority of us had some issues during recovery.

I do not want to be a downer; but I have to realistic.
Thanks for the reality check Ref. Tell me, do you remember that first day after surgery, from the moment you first woke up in recovery? The first week. What was it like to stand up? How long was it before you could stand up unassisted and walk to the bathroom, down the hall? What was the therapy initially like? When could you first go back to some semi-athletic activities you enjoyed?

Also, how old/young are you btw:)? You can pm if you are not comfortable sharing.
 
Most importantly, how long will I have to wait to carry my little 2 y.o. princess upstairs to bed?
 
ell me, do you remember that first day after surgery, from the moment you first woke up in recovery?
I woke up just fine---no pain in either leg. I was excited and nervous, and then, on the next day, they got me out of bed.

The first week. What was it like to stand up?
The first time I stood up, I was nervous, but there was no pain--my legs were a little wobbly, but no mjor issues---I did walk in a peg-leg style, though.

The first week was spent sleeping, gong to PT and to OT twice a day, and eting things that had no taste (due to the pain meds.) Repeat...
How long was it before you could stand up unassisted and walk to the bathroom, down the hall?
I was able to get out of bed on my own in a few days--although I really did not want to do much. Again, the body was expending large amounts of energy in the healing process, and the pain meds made me feel like I was living in a gigantic cotton ball.
What was the therapy initially like?
Not really painfull, at least not for me---it did cause discomfort, but it was very frustrating, as I kept waiting for major progress to kick in. I did not realize that progress is measured in tiny increments.

I will tell you that I was one of the unlucky few that had adhesions, and I chose to deal with those myself---and those would really hurt when I popped one. Most people do not get them, though.

When could you first go back to some semi-athletic activities you enjoyed?
Please keep in mind that I had my BTKR in November, so there was not much going on. In April, I was back cycling, and also, in April, I was calling balls and strikes for college and HS baseball games. I still did have an ever-so-slight limp, though. That took me about five and one-half months to finally lose.
Also, how old/young are you btw:)? You can pm if you are not comfortable sharing.
I am 59 now--I had my BTKR when I was 53---six years ago. I reffed college basketball for 17 years and I have reffed HS and college football and baseball for forty years---just baseball now.

I was very active up to the time that I had my BTKR---cortisone injections kept me going for about eight months, and I was teaching, coaching middle-school football, and working part-time on a produce farm. I will say this, during the day, I did not hurt at times---but I always, always hurt at night and sleeping was horrible.

Most importantly, how long will I have to wait to carry my little 2 y.o. princess upstairs to bed?
That may take some time, as stairs can be a problem. Strength and stamina are normally the last to come back, and the ROM is necessary to get up the steps (going down is a real issue and can take about four months or so.) It depends on how fast you heal and get stronger---as well as gain the ROM.

Again, I honestly and sincerely hope that you heal quickly and easily, but the reality of it is that your knee, even during a partial is going to sustain some major surgical trauma. Even though only one part of your knee will be replaced with an implant, the recovery can be similar to a TKR.

Now, I use an elliptical during the bad ones here in Northern Ohio, as well as a stationary bike and a trainer attached to my road bike. During the spring and summer, I umpire, work on a produce farm, cut trees for firewood to heat our home, and cycle 120-160 miles a week.
 
Mcirish, your big day is coming soon. Ill be pulling for you. Keep on reading past threads on post op recoveries. They will also answer some of your concerns on recovery. So many great stories , im gonna follow the mantras to the T. Even the constipation part. I already have all the "tools" I will need to make my recovery easier. I work for Costco as a meatcutter and they are super supportive , so I wont have to rush it back to work. That way I can heal correctly. You will do just great. You are young, strong and healthy. I assume you have some support at home. Dont get too nervous, feel confidant that you have knowledge from this forum. Keep us posted.
 
Mcirish, your big day is coming soon. Ill be pulling for you. Keep on reading past threads on post op recoveries. They will also answer some of your concerns on recovery. So many great stories , im gonna follow the mantras to the T. Even the constipation part. I already have all the "tools" I will need to make my recovery easier. I work for Costco as a meatcutter and they are super supportive , so I wont have to rush it back to work. That way I can heal correctly. You will do just great. You are young, strong and healthy. I assume you have some support at home. Dont get too nervous, feel confidant that you have knowledge from this forum. Keep us posted.
Thanks bud. I will definitely be coming back with updates and info. Reading more and more of the forums content.

I read jeano's pkr recovery journal in post op. This is about how I expect my recovery to go, except I will return to work after a couple weeks. I am not sure why some people get a little huffy if you don't buy into everything they preach. Everything will be fine. I also have a very flexible schedule, so I can work from home as well part of the week.

I have already started adjusting my diet and spent 45 mins on the bike tonight as well as doing some hammy curls. I will be ready. Thanks for your encouragement and support.
 
I woke up just fine---no pain in either leg. I was excited and nervous, and then, on the next day, they got me out of bed.


The first time I stood up, I was nervous, but there was no pain--my legs were a little wobbly, but no mjor issues---I did walk in a peg-leg style, though.

The first week was spent sleeping, gong to PT and to OT twice a day, and eting things that had no taste (due to the pain meds.) Repeat...

I was able to get out of bed on my own in a few days--although I really did not want to do much. Again, the body was expending large amounts of energy in the healing process, and the pain meds made me feel like I was living in a gigantic cotton ball.

Not really painfull, at least not for me---it did cause discomfort, but it was very frustrating, as I kept waiting for major progress to kick in. I did not realize that progress is measured in tiny increments.

I will tell you that I was one of the unlucky few that had adhesions, and I chose to deal with those myself---and those would really hurt when I popped one. Most people do not get them, though.


Please keep in mind that I had my BTKR in November, so there was not much going on. In April, I was back cycling, and also, in April, I was calling balls and strikes for college and HS baseball games. I still did have an ever-so-slight limp, though. That took me about five and one-half months to finally lose.

I am 59 now--I had my BTKR when I was 53---six years ago. I reffed college basketball for 17 years and I have reffed HS and college football and baseball for forty years---just baseball now.

I was very active up to the time that I had my BTKR---cortisone injections kept me going for about eight months, and I was teaching, coaching middle-school football, and working part-time on a produce farm. I will say this, during the day, I did not hurt at times---but I always, always hurt at night and sleeping was horrible.


That may take some time, as stairs can be a problem. Strength and stamina are normally the last to come back, and the ROM is necessary to get up the steps (going down is a real issue and can take about four months or so.) It depends on how fast you heal and get stronger---as well as gain the ROM.

Again, I honestly and sincerely hope that you heal quickly and easily, but the reality of it is that your knee, even during a partial is going to sustain some major surgical trauma. Even though only one part of your knee will be replaced with an implant, the recovery can be similar to a TKR.

Now, I use an elliptical during the bad ones here in Northern Ohio, as well as a stationary bike and a trainer attached to my road bike. During the spring and summer, I umpire, work on a produce farm, cut trees for firewood to heat our home, and cycle 120-160 miles a week.
Ref, you are a bonafide stud lol. Seriously, even if I had 2 good knees, I would hope that I could follow your example of what an active, healthy lifestyle is. I think I will do just fine. I really enjoyed reading jeano's recovery journal in post op. Very inspirational and calming. Has anyone thought about making a separate thread for people who get partials? It would be helpful and interesting to be able to group and read all the posts regarding PKRs.
 
I think having a positive attitude is great. Just know the knee will be the boss as far as recovery goes.
 
I think having a positive attitude is great. Just know the knee will be the boss as far as recovery goes.
Undoubtedly and obviously. My left knee has been "the boss" for every single surgery I have had. I have had a few surgeries before. I know my body and how it responds. It is probably the most traumatic surgery I will have had to date, but not by a lot.

But I am starting to understand why a few individuals have got the impression that this fact has escaped me. Aside from people misinterpreting my statements, there is a definite TKR majority in this forum, with the majority of members having the total knee procedure, if I am not mistaken. So the collective voice of the forum is going to be most decidedly from people with experiences based on this procedure.

I kind of came in here a bit blind, but now that I understand this, things will be a lot smoother.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
you are a bonafide stud lol.
I am not quite sure about that---but I thank you for it. I will tell you that, after you are recovered, you will be truly amazed at how great you feel, and what yo can do without any NSAID's injections, braces, and the like.

I wore knee braces, I tried the chicken shots (SynVisc worked all of three days for me), I had cortisone injections---the works.

Now, I can sleep without pain and do whatever I want to do---and enjoy it more as I do not have to worry about the pain.

Reffing--I guess I miss the challenge and the camaraderie---but I do not miss the travel and the lousy weather (and the travel through the lousy weather!)

I am in my last year of teaching---after 37 years I am going to reture, and the farm and the cycling look very, very appealing to me---even more so than ever. I honestly could not say this seven years ago!
 
I am not quite sure about that---but I thank you for it. I will tell you that, after you are recovered, you will be truly amazed at how great you feel, and what yo can do without any NSAID's injections, braces, and the like.

I wore knee braces, I tried the chicken shots (SynVisc worked all of three days for me), I had cortisone injections---the works.

Now, I can sleep without pain and do whatever I want to do---and enjoy it more as I do not have to worry about the pain.

Reffing--I guess I miss the challenge and the camaraderie---but I do not miss the travel and the lousy weather (and the travel through the lousy weather!)

I am in my last year of teaching---after 37 years I am going to reture, and the farm and the cycling look very, very appealing to me---even more so than ever. I honestly could not say this seven years ago!
That is just wonderful Ref. Not many people can hope for a nice, blissful retirement like that....especially with 2 "good" knees.

As I stated before, my situation is weird, at least to me. I don't have chronic pain or even pain at rest usually, only when I am active sometimes and on occasion, after a very active day or if I have been standing for several hours at a conference. Never really bothers my sleep. But the joint does feel remarkably unstable with the deficit in the lateral compartment and I walk with a slight limp. Cannot position my leg with any stability to put weight on it when I lean back or squat. It's like the lateral compartment is not even there, cannot easily put weight on it, but when I do, it hurts like a you know what. Most of the time I can get by, but I have not been as active as I like to be, not for the last 3-4 years especially, and my OS and I fear that if I don't fix the valgus deformity it will lead to tri-compartmental OA, as well as OA in my left hip and lower back.

Anyway, it will nice to not have to worry about any of that stuff......and not having to wear my donjoy brace would be nice.:)
 
and not having to wear my donjoy brace would be nice.
I was ACL-Deficient, and I also had a Donjoy brace---then, later on, I also had the neoprene sleeves in an effort to stave off the inevitable---now---no braces; my Baker's Cyst has even disappeared, as my knees are very, very stable now.
 
Despite my "textbook perfect" recovery there is no way in HELL I couldve gone back to work at 2 weeks out--mostly because I was flat EXHAUSTED every afternoon. Even though I was off opiates and able to meet most of my ADLs and certainly could have drived. (Driven? Drove?)

I was spending probably 18 hours of every day icing and elevating and I could only sleep 4 hours at a stretch on my best nights. I could not have tolerated sitting, driving, standing or walking more than 15-25 minutes at a time, punctuated by HOURS of reclining while icing and elevating.

I am now a few days shy of six weeks out and thinking I can try a few simulated work days at HOME and see how that goes--I'll have to chain myself to my desk and computer, jump up at intervals and stand for 15 minutes, and get extremely aggravated about various things, pretend I am coping with very difficult people, and do all of this from 4PM until midnight. With poor to nonexistent opportunities to ice and elevate. And then go for a 20 minute drive and dodge the deer. Until I think I can really cope with those challenges, my butt is staying at home!

Just sayin'.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom