TKR Dearjr's new knee

Try it and see.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
It depends, for some extension and flexion will get better because the swelling goes down. For others there will be no change. A few may lose ROM.
It sounds like you are having a normal recovery, don't think it will make any difference one way or the other.
 
Ill let every one know on Thursday

Now I'm a little swollen but will try. 1/2 hour walk
 
Went out for 1/2 hour walk. Got swollen but iced after and now minimal

Do most get swollen sfter walking??
 
Regarding losing flexion if you skip the stretches .... I've been told that this far out (6 weeks), there's little chance of scar tissue getting enough of a toehold (with just a few days inactivity) to wreck your progress. The risk period for that is behind you.
In spite of what some people are told, scar tissue (adhesions) is quite rare. It isn't just waiting to pounce if you don't exercise. You don't have to exercise to keep it at bay.
In fact, if you do too much exercise you are more likely to develop adhesions, because over-exercising makes your soft tissues hot and inflamed. Hot tissues are drier than normal tissue and that dryness predisposes towards adhesions.

There is no time limit on getting adhesions, if you are going to get them, so I don't think you were informed correctly about being safe after 6 weeks.
 
I told him knee had that band and stiff and he told me to go play tennis...was he for real
Obviously not! But just in case someone reading this thinks it is, doing so is a really good way to make things worse!
I also at times after sitting and then standing feel it buckle....is this the weak quad still??...any ideas???
Honey, you're only 7 weeks out. Did you seriously expect your knee to be all healed up and job done in that period of time? You must have read it here a dozen times already, it takes MONTHS! Look at this chart - perhaps that will make you not only realise but also accept this reality!

[Bonesmart.org] Dearjr's new knee


I am working but find no matter what I do after 10mins on my feet the knee is swollen. Is this the norm?? I find even if I sit mostly it still swells.
Of course it is! But when you say you are 'working', do you mean going to work or working at PT?
Does the swelling interfere with the healing?
Only if it's extremely swollen.
If I skip my exercises for a day or two like the heel slides and extension ones will my Flexion get worse?
I recommend you read my recovery threads to see how little exercising I did!
First knee. Knee recovery - UK style
Second knee. Josephine's 2nd knee story - short version where I did even less!
Regarding losing flexion if you skip the stretches .... I've been told that this far out (6 weeks), there's little chance of scar tissue getting enough of a toehold (with just a few days inactivity) to wreck your progress. The risk period for that is behind you.
@analysta Celle has already said it but I'm going to say it again.
1. 'naturally occurring' adhesions are uncommon
2. they're unlikely to develop in the first 6 weeks after surgery
3. however, overdoing it on exercises and/or activity as tissues made hot and angry by doing too much are also dry tissues which will create ideal conditions for adhesions to develop
4. adhesions can occur any time up to about 14 weeks or so
5. loss of or failure to get a decent ROM in the first 6 weeks is far more likely to be due to swelling and pain than adhesions
6. read this MUA (Manipulation under Anaesthetic) and Adhesions
 
As far as the "band" feeling around the knee...When I am loose and feeling good, that feeling is there, but kind of in a good way, because it allows me to make normal moves like sitting down, taking a walking stride, or moving my leg around, without restriction, BUT, serves as a reminder or aid to keep it under control. Does that make sense ?
 
@Celle i don't do too much exercise. Heel slides twice a day. While sitting to see a patient I do under the stool Flexion. I do bike 15 mins. Walk 4x week. And go to pt 3 x week. No matter how little I do just when I walk down block I get minor annoying swelling. A work day causes more swelling but by am down a lot. So the stuff I do and the swelling I get don't seem to get in the way of Flexion. I can walk up and down stairs holding on of course and ride bike
@Poppet @Josephine thanks for the Advice. I take vits and vit c everyday.
When I say work I mean actually being at work. Sitting on stool in room examining and getting up to walk to next room. It gets swollen but I don't believe extreme
 
Sorry about that!
Not extremely swollen. I can still flex but not sure if as fully without much swelling
I'll know Tomorow when I start with a brand new pt. Meaning she just finished school!
 
About half of my PT was conducted by a first year PT student (under the supervision of a very experienced PT). She did a wonderful job, and I believe she'll be a fine PT when she graduates.
 
Your os was even surprised at how little you did. Are you sure it's good for everyone to do so little?
 
No one is suggesting that a person doesn't need to do any exercises. I believe what Jo is trying to show with her recovery story is just the opposite of what you're saying..... that it's not mandatory to do a lot of exercise or therapy to have a successful recovery.

The biggest point is to listen to your own body (each of us is unique) and respond accordingly. In your case, since you've gone back to work so early in recovery, you most likely don't need therapy. You're managing just fine. Later....at 6 months or so, you might opt to begin some strength training. But your knee is getting plenty of movement each day with your schedule even without therapy. Frankly, I'd let that go and allow your knee a bit more rest and ice once you're home for the day (or even during the workday).
 
I see both your points. I don't feel sitting and standing at work is exercise enough. My knee swells and it feels strange but I flex it all day. I ice it during lunch and after work. Still waiting for an end of those swollen days
 
Oh, but it is exercise! You are using all of the muscles in your legs when you sit and rise or when walking around. And then there is the movement when you get ready for work (showering, dressing, preparing breakfast), when you're getting there and back (getting in and out of the car, walking to and from the office), and any of those little errands you do on the way to and from (gassing the car, stopping to pick up something at a store). You're getting a lot more exercise than you think especially considering you are less than 2 months out.
 
Dearjr, are you looking for exercise for fitness or recovery from your surgery? Because for recovery from your surgery, Jamie is absolutely correct. If you're concerned about physical fitness, you're too early in your recovery to worry about that. Wait until around the five or six month point before easing back into that.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Morning all

I am surley not looking for fitness...although I do need it!

I heard the average tkr patient gains 15 pounds...true?

I still am going to pt to at least do the exercises for stretching and mobility. I do believe I get exercise when I work but still need what the pt offers.

I also do bike at home and walk up and down steps. Still hard to do it the right way after one at a time for a long time
 
@Josephine @Celle I wasn't talking about scars/adhesions due to overuse ... I was only talking about adhesions that arise from not moving the joint after surgery.
You do not get adhesions from not moving the joint after surgery. That is a fallacy and I'm sorry it's still being perpetrated.
Even if you did, the normal amount of movement occasioned by everyday activity would be enough to prevent them.
Josephine has explained the mechanism of the formation of adhesions in this article:
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom