TKR Dearjr's new knee

I'm glad your getting there 599

Even though in getting good Flexion the most annoying thing if this recovery is the constant swelling and feeling of a band on the front of my knee

Can some share their experience when the swelling and that feeling of constriction go away

It seems every time I stand for more than 15 mins I get swollen
Me too!!!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
I wonder if a high stool would work for you. A bit less strain on the quads getting up and down and you could possibly sit at a level that works for examining patients. Maybe you're already doing that.

Good job with the ice. :)
 
Just got back from os....said my work realated swelling is not bad. He said in 6 months it will be gone. He said by looking my extension and Flexion good. Better than left knee...the next tkr...lol

Off to pool therapy tonight...,,,anyone else in the pool therapy ??
 
Hi, @Dearjr-
I'm not in pool therapy officially, but did get to swim last week, and was surprised by how the stiffness in my knees followed me into the water. Before BTKR, swimming and water-walking/running felt great because it took weight off arthritic joints. Now my knees are genuinely stiff from the post-surgery healing process, and they did not feel all loose and great in the pool. I could still swim and move around--just with a bit more stiffness than I'm used to in the water, alas.

Since your swelling is from overuse, I think the chorus here, with me among them, is trying to suggest that you consider chilling out on the exercises before and after work; your knee is getting more action than it wants each day--if it were my knee, I would be grabbing all those "take it easy" opportunities to let the swelling resolve.
 
Hi @jbrooklyn thanks for the advice
I know I'm moving along during the day but I feel I need to do at least the heel slides and the extension exercises. What do you think?
 
You need to gently stretch toward better flexion and extension, but heel slides are not the only way to go about it. Is your exam room stool on wheels? If so, plant your foot on the ground and gently roll forward until you feel the stretch. While you enter the child's info in the computer, say. My flexion got better in a hurry when I did a similar stretch. When you are in bed, point your toes toward your head and press the back of your knee gently down. Hey, you've done your exercises for the day!
 
Exactly what Slainte said. Look for little ways to work in a a stretch here and there throughout the day.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Hi there--Glad you are considering this. Based on firsthand experience and the wisdom Josephine espouses, I think resting is more important than stretching. I got to 125/0 watching Netflix for 6 weeks. I walked around, went up and down stairs just a bit because I needed to, and as my knees healed more, the flex came back--I really did next to nothing stretch-wise. Your knee knows what stretching is. The new joint goes to about 130, and the rest of your knee has been flexing all your life. So you are all set--as soon as you heal and get your strength back, you will be good. So, I think just hurrying home and putting them up with ice is the priority, especially since you're working your new knee more than ideal. But hey, I'm in the minority. Maybe I'm the laziest person here--totally a live possibility!--but healing is job #1, despite the schtick from PT-land. What do you think, as a doc?
 
Had pool therapy on Tuesday and yesterday my quads were achy. Now doing pt nice and gentle and off to another day of work. Scar looks swollen already
 
Went to pt friday. Added balancing stuff and leg press. Went walking up hills to lake near me today. Didn't hurt but got swollen. The band feeling came back today

Also one small part of scar was red and had a small opening with a little pus.
Does this warrent calling the surgeon?
 
I'd err on the side of caution and give the OS' office a call. Better to be safe than sorry.

I'm sure you know what to watch for with the beginning of an infection. Off the top of my head, there's the red blood vessels going out like a spiderweb from the subject area, elevated temperature, more pus, I'm sure there are other warning signs. Don't go back into the water again until the scab is completely healed again. Lots of germy, germ, germs out there, and you don't want to take a risk of infection. IMHO.

You seem to have worked out a way to make work a little more tolerable. Good for you!
 
Thanks for the advice.
I just texted him and he said it probably is a reaction to a stitch wanting to expel. He will see it tomorrow and start me on keflex
To me it doesn't look bad small redness. But even though I'm a pediatrician I don't like to treat myself
 
Wise to check with your OS on that. Probably is a stitch, but better safe than sorry.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I can't wait till I can get in the pool! I had my hubby make sure to get it all sparkly clean for me (I am allowed in on Thursday)
 
@Dearjr
You've gone back to work earlier than a lot of people do. The exercise you get at work, and getting to and from work, is probably all that your knee needs at this stage. PT on top of that could well be too much for your knee, so I suggest stopping formal PT for a while. You can still do some gentle bending and stretching on your own.

The swelling is to be expected and it could last for a few months yet, just decreasing gradually.
even at 11 months post op, my left knee still swells a bit if I overdo things.
 
@Celle
You might be right with work but I had no choice.
The swelling starts almost an hour after I'm on it. It is just a bothersome feeling with a construction band around the knee. No pain though
Going to os later to show him my scar where some pus came out of
 
Sure. I agree that you may not have had the choice about going back to work, but you do have a choice about doing PT on top of work - and I'd advise against it. Your knee is getting a sufficient work out with your daily activities.

For what it's worth, I've recovered from 3 knee replacements with only minimal PT - none at all for the last one - and I have excellent knee function and ROM.

Do keep a good eye on that (hopefully) superficial infection - I'm sure you know the signs of infection and the danger of a more deep-seated infection.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom