Guest viewing is limited

TKR Dearjr's new knee

@jbrooklyn thanks for the advice

I really have no choice but to work. It seems the knee swells as soon as I stand on it more than 10'mins. I ice every 4-6 hours during day and at night at least 3-4 times on and off 20 mins on and off
 
@Dearjr, I was not suggesting that you stop working; it's clear you need to. Just that you stop PT while working FT so soon after this surgery.

When you get home, your knee would be happiest if you lie down straight away and ice/elevate and baby that knee for the rest of the evening. Basically spending all your non-working hours showing your knee you care. It will appreciate it.

Are you getting swelling above your knee? That's my problem right now--it is quad tendonitis, and it's from overuse. The only way to get rid of it is rest and ice, with antiinflammatories playing a very minor supporting role.
 
Why are on/off icing the knee? I was told to wrap that bad boy and let him chill!! I would never get it cooled at only 20 minutes a pop... Maybe someone else can chime in? But you might do well with longer icing? Put the angry little man in hibernation..lol..
 
I ice mine for at least 40-45 minutes at a time and sometimes longer. Think Josephine always says that 20 mins is not enough. I ice at least 6 times per day. There is an article in icing l believe somewhere.
 
Hi all
i have swelling of lateral knee cap and on top where quad is

icing for 2o mins on and then off 20 mins is better than constant because you get the opposite effect after 20 mins meaning the blood vessels open up and it swells again
 
@Dearjr I should clarify, when l say l ice for that amount of time, the cryo cuff only stays cold for about 20 minutes, but l quite often keep the cuff on after its 'warmed up' as l forget to take it off!
 
@Dearjr I have moved some of your posts in to this, your new recovery thread.
Up till now, you have been dropping various comments about your recovery into other peoples threads and thereby derailing them. That's not good "netiquette"!! Can you please keep your progress posts and questions in here from now on? Thank muchly!
 
I saw that you said stiffness is pain do you mean lack of flexion as stiffness. Or do you mean swelling causing stiffness
It's a vicious circle. Pain causes swelling. Swelling is painful. Both those result in stiffness. Ergo, if you have stiffness, it's almost a given that you have swelling and pain. It's generally reckoned that there are several manifestations of pain which include soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness.

icing for 20mins on and then off 20mins is better than constant because you get the opposite effect after 20mins meaning the blood vessels open up and it swells again
No it is not! You accomplish little or nothing in 20 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day. And icing doesn't cause the blood vessels to close!
 
Interesting. The hospital told me no more than 20 minutes, but it never seemed enough so I bought a gel donut that stays cold for 40 minutes and the relief is better. Thanks for clarifying that!
 
Interesting. The hospital told me no more than 20 minutes, but it never seemed enough so I bought a gel donut that stays cold for 40 minutes and the relief is better. Thanks for clarifying that!
If you put a towel or other cloth between your skin and your icing, you can ice for longer periods of time---I would ice for sometimes an hour.
 
@referee54 i found it...now I have to know how to do it agian..

I am going to the os tomorrow for my check up and hope to have good news

I am able to go up and down stairs holding on alternating feet again. Going up it seems my inner leg turns in ...is this from a week quad?

Can anyone tell me when the feeling of the band and swelling go away. After I exercise or stand 15!mins I feel it alot
 
The feeling of the band holds on for a long time -- six months or more for some. I'm at 18 or 19 weeks tomorrow (beginning to lose track), and it's mostly gone for me, but I do still have intermittent stiffness on a daily basis.

Swelling, for me, faded around 8-10 weeks. Since you have been having to work and not been able to "take it easy," your swelling is likely to persist somewhat longer. Since I still have periodic stiffness, I must also have some internal swelling. It's just not as noticeable.

I'm not sure what to say about the sensation of the leg turning. I'm sure someone else will have something to share about that.
 
Hi, I definitely have the band feeling when standing and I cannot even stand for 15 minutes. As for the turning going up the stairs, I do get a mild amount of that which I attributed to weak muscles. I will say it seems better each day.
 
In my case, it seemed to. I still have a lot of healing to go, but my swelling isn't that noticeable at this point-- 4.5 months.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Im hoping for the same but working every day and getting up and down makes it swollen more. At least I get to ice at lunch and after work and in the am the cycle starts again
 
Another day!
Up at 545 to do home exercises and then ice. Knee a little swollen but will be in car 1/2 hour then walking about 20 mins. Will see os today
Hope it will go well
 
I have had swelling in the same area since surgery. At two weeks, I woke up one day and my knee was super stiff. For two days, I could barely move it. My Dr. thought I had had some bleeding in there, so he took me off blood thinner, had me ice, elevate, rest for 3 days, then tried to drain it. He was unable to get anything out, and said it had turned to a gel-like consistency. he said it would slowly go down and dissipate into my body. I measure regularly and it seems to be going down very slowly. PT said she's seen worse.
My extension is at 0 now but still trying to get more flex. I work at it, but have to be careful not to over do it. Some days I feel I could PT al day...other days, I'm lucky I get one session in.
My goal is to get back to work at 10-12 weeks.
 
You are doing a lot for your point in recovery. I know you have to be at work, but that isn't helping. So it's good you are using your gel packs a lot and do try to elevate if you can on your lunch break. Do you have a desk job? If so, get up and walk around for a minute or two roughly every hour to loosen up a bit.
Do nothing much but ice and elevate when you get home from work.

Unless your doc says something else, for the leg "turning" I'd say you just need to focus a bit when placing your foot. Should improve as your knee & muscles heal.
 
@cpd599 keep up the good work and don't over do it and u will get the Flexion you want

@kneeper thanksfor the advice
I'm a pediatrician so I walk from room to room and then sit for the exam if I could. Ice during lunch and home. In am just mild swelling.
I guess I might have swelling a little longer than most My Flexion is still good though
I will try to plant my foot straight. My quads are so tender and they bother me after pt and the machines
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom