TKR Daystar's Diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Daystar, I have been reading your posts and wanted to let you know that I have a panic disorder and I know what you are going through. It can be a viscous circle. But remember one thing, it will get better. Hang on to that and the wonderful friends who dearly care for you here on BS. God bless you! I will be praying for you!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Daystar I've followed your posts and want to thank you for your honesty in both the good times and bad. As far as scaring anyone that is still pre-op (as am I), please know that instead of scaring anyone, your straight-forward account is so helpful. I think the wonderful thing about this forum is that everyone can be secure in knowing that they don't have to filter their feelings. Because of that, it makes you realize that very often, your feelings, which seem unique to you at the time, have been and will be shared by so many others. I really appreciate your taking the time to post even during your down and anxious times. I hope you feel the support swelling through the airwaves to you. Above all...remember to breathe!
 
@Daystar I am a klonopin user as well. Anxiety is hard to settle at all sometimes. Hoping your Dr. Can prescribe something that will relieve your. Anxiety.
I know that most pain meds can aggravate depression. Take care
 
@tiredwife Your wish is granted! Tomorrow it will be 13 weeks since my TKR. I have been through so much since then, but none of it had anything to do with my knee. My knee is doing remarkably well. I had my last PT session last Thursday. He said my ROM is excellent and the knee moves smoothly when he puts it through ROM. It still gets stiff when I sit and hurts when I first stand up, but walking on it is fine. It feels so good to be able to straighten it all the way when I walk. Haven't been able to do that for 10 years.

Something happened to a muscle near the top of my thigh last week that I think is from one or more things I did in PT. A couple days ago I could barely walk it hurt so bad. I started using my cane again, which helps quite a bit.

The cortisone injection in my nonsurgical knee wore off a few weeks ago, so that knee is hurting again but there is no way I'm going to replace it anytime soon. The surgery on the other knee triggered an acute exacerbation of anxiety and depression that I'm still being treated for. I'm not going to go through the many details of that, but it took weeks to deal with the fact that my Klonopin had stopped working virtually from one day to the next. I suffered almost unbearably high levels of anxiety for weeks before someone finally gave me enough Ativan to get it under control. I mostly forgot about my knee in that time, but it seems to have taken care of itself. I'm afraid the same thing will happen with the other knee, and I'm just not up for that at the moment. Or ever!

So that's it in kind of a nutshell. Thanks for asking.
 
@Daystar So very glad to hear from you. You probably pulled a muscle it should work its way out. TKR and the meds for it often causes depression on it's own and anyone with anxiety it would be intensified. Glad they finally found a med that is helping. Hope you get to feeling good!
 
@Daystar So glad that your knee is doing well and you now have relief from the anxiety/depression. Let's hope someone can figure out why so you don't ever have a repeat experience. :chinstroke:I hope that all continues to go well. :praying:Jen
 
@Daystar Where is the muscle near the top of your thigh? Is it on the inside of the thigh, in the groin area? I used to think I was pulling something in that area when I was walking, went to the doctor and it turned out to actually be hip pain from arthritis. I didn't even know that's where a hip would hurt, but it's the most common hip pain. Of course yours may be a muscle in an entirely different area. Just a thought.

Connie
 
Your other knee is probably feeling a bit worse in part because it's helping the operated knee. Hang in there.
 
@Daystar It may be worth getting checked out. I hate to be discouraging, but I only had groin pain after exercising like walking on the treadmill. That's why I kept thinking I was pulling something or straining it. But I got it x-rayed and they found that my cartilage was gone and my femur was pushing up into my hip socket. Ended up with hip replacements. I hope that's not the case with you, but if it keeps happening you may want to get it checked.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello @Daystar

Perhaps when you are next at your PT session, they can assess the hip pain and suggest what it could be and possible solutions to easing your discomfort.

Cathie
 
Hi Cindy @Daystar

To save you the time & cost of a doctor visit, would it be possible to ring the PT centre and tell them about the hip pain and what they might think is the cause and more importantly the solution.

Thank you for asking, my TKR is 14 weeks post op and there has been good, steady, slow progress.

Still stiffness and mild swelling when sitting or standing too long and Flexion is at 105 degrees, so I would like to see that closer to 120 degrees.

Still can't fully straighten the leg, it had been bent for several years before/after Arthroscopy in 2012.
So, extension will take a lot longer to get close to 0. It is now at 5/6.

All in all, getting there.

May your day be comfortable for you and May tomorrow be even better.
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom