TKR Day to day sitting about

Hi Caron, I had my op on 4th December, so into the 4th week. Like you, good days and bad days. I thought I was doing really well then my knee locked on Monday and it hasn't been so good since. Today is good day so far, yesterday was awful! I went to physio on 18th; in hindsight, and after reading posts on this forum, I think it was too much, too soon! I've cut back on the exercises she gave me, I'm follow the advice the staff and other members who post on here, and listening more to my body! I had a major RTA in 2008 and thought this would be a breeze, but tbh, there's no comparison! We will get there Caron, but there'll be no dancing this NYE! bonesmart.org is such a discovery, I've sent the link to my sister, who has a shoulder injury and a friend who has just had a THR!
 
Some days I feel I’m doing great only to get up next day and feel like I’m back to square one
Check this out :wink:
[Bonesmart.org] Day to day sitting about
 
Happy New Year everyone and best wishes for good and quick healing. Just a quick question, how long did people still feel the need to use crutches. I’m just over 5 weeks post op, managing with one or no crutches (depend on swelling) around the house and on stairs but still feel the need for both outside. Also still have a bad limp.
 
Hi and happy new year @Caron !

If you're still limping, it means you definitely should be using one or two crutches, or a cane, even at home in order to teach your body structure to not limp!

Many members also continue to use them outdoors due to safety cincerns.
 
There is no set time for giving up the crutches. As long as you feel you might have a chance of falling, you need to use them. Also, using a walking assistance device helps you to develop the correct gait. I wasn't able to use crutches, but did use my walker around the house for at least 3 weeks and outside or in public at least 7 weeks. After that, I used a cane for about 4 months. Everyone is different, and you might be stable enough to not need a walking aid that long, but if you do, there is nothing wrong with it. Besides, using one will help others to see you and be more careful around you. We all have a fear of falling!
 
how long did people still feel the need to use crutches. I’m just over 5 weeks post op,
I used one crutch and later a foldable stick for several months outside.
I had had a few falls in the couple of years before my surgery ( probably due to my very twisted valgus leg and never getting used to varifocals). I was terrified of falling and it was autumn, then winter in a very busy London suburb- with lots of wet leaves, ice and uneven pavements due to tree roots. It also signalled to people to give me space and helped to get on and off buses and trains.
I only gave it up when I felt fully safe. It really is a question of listening to your body. The only important caveat is to get someone to check you are walking straight if you only use one stick and don't lean/ bend too much.
 
Hi Caron,
Also still have a bad limp.
Here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference.

[Bonesmart.org] Day to day sitting about

Good Luck! Give it a try and let us know what you think.
Have a great weekend!
 
I'm 4 weeks, 2 days now and today I've walked around the house a lot without any aids but only because I got up and forgot to use a crutch this morning! I wouldn't risk it outside as the paths are very uneven. At home you can grab furniture and put your hand on walls, etc. Tbh, I haven't ventured out much! I have deliberately tried to focus on not limping. It's hard but doable if I go slowly and do the heel to toe thing as advised by @Layla.
 
I have deliberately tried to focus on not limping. It's hard but doable if I go slowly and do the heel to toe thing
This does take concentration for sure. At least it did for me. It's not the way I was use to walking, but it did make me feel as though I was walking taller, stronger and I felt more in control than I felt with the sloppy gait I'd fallen into pre-op.

Big step when you realize you walked away from your assistive device. YAY! :egypdance:
I recall the first time I did it and I must have still been a little foggy brained because my initial thought was - oh, no...I forgot my cane - I panicked for a second before realizing if I walked away from it, I could obviously walk back to it. Duh! :wink: :heehee:

For both you and @Caron
Don't risk it outdoors until you're comfortable. It may make you feel more secure if you keep it in your car for a time. I believe I did for a month or so beyond not needing it, just in case. It can also come in handy if you'll be in a crowded area and worry about get bumped by someone. When you have an assistive device, most people have enough awareness to give you a little extra space.

Have a great weekend, BindyMag and Caron!
 
Hi Caron,
As BindyMag mentioned above, it's common to realize you've just walked away from an assistive device you left leaning somewhere. It's a good indication that you've regained strength, balance and confidence. Bearing full weight on the op leg without great pain or instability is a good sign you may be close. Also, if you you're walking without feeling unsteady and a constant fear of falling. When you're feeling ready, you can practice short walks, unaided, at home, or in a safe area. There is no specific timeline. Listen to your body and you will know when the time is right.
Happy New Year, Caron!
@Caron
 
61/2 weeks in, not so quick up date. Doing really well around the house, cooking full meals for myself and husband, washing and drying dishes, polishing dusting and vacuuming, changing bedding, managing to climb into bath to use shower( only have shower over bath, not walk in shower) and shopping with husband. Managing car journeys of over an hour (passenger) and can get in and out of car without aids. Only been to physio x1 and really disappointed as could not do full 90 bend and for her to tell me if I don’t push myself through the pain I would need MUA, told her about this site to which she replied I need to listen to her and she would speak to my surgeon as I need to be at 120 bend. Saw my surgeon week after and he was pleased with my progress, managed 90 bend. I’ve bought a pedal exerciser which I use x 2 daily but still my knee very hard and stiff. Also getting aches and pains in both legs but think this could be to do with change of gait ( trying not to limp using heel to toe step ) Still need 1 crutch around house and 2 when outdoors despite physio telling me I shouldn’t be using them now. Continuing to ice and elevating during day and before sleep. Sleeping on and off, some nights up twice and sometimes up 3-4, could really do with a full night sleep. Down to codeine at night time only, paracetamol if needed during day. Following radiotherapy and chemotherapy 2 years ago for cervical cancer I have bowel problems so try to stay off codeine. Have days when I feel really down and think nothing is getting better then days when I think I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Don’t think this cold snap here in northern England at the moment is helping as I’m scared to venture outside due to icy pavements. Can’t wait for better weather so I ca get out a bit more. Rant and rave over x
 
I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?


Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:


It sounds like you’re doing very well, for 6+ weeks. I’m glad your surgeon is pleased.

she replied I need to listen to her

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.
 
Quick question also, is it normal for operated knee to feel warmer at night time please
 
Yes, it’s normal for the operated knee to feel warmer than the other. That could go on for a while.
 
Hello Caron,
You seem to be making nice progress for 6 1/2 weeks post op.

You can experience warmth in the knee due to the healing and increased blood flow to the area for 6-12 months post op. There's likely still residual inflammation.

Interesting how your PT said you needed to listen to her when you mentioned, BoneSmart, but your surgeon is pleased with your progress. I guess his is the "nod of reassurance" I would appreciate most.
Also getting aches and pains in both legs but think this could be to do with change of gait ( trying not to limp using heel to toe step )
I agree with you. Our gait changes as our joint deteriorates, then changes once again as our body adjusts to the prosthetic. There's a lot of compensating that goes on before surgery and even afterward early on. Continue using the cane and heel-toe walking until all smoothly falls into place…and it will.
Have days when I feel really down and think nothing is getting better then days when I think I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Don’t think this cold snap here in northern England at the moment is helping as I’m scared to venture outside due to icy pavements.
Sounds like a little Post Op Blues, which is only temporary...thankfully! The short gray days of Winter don't do a lot to boost our mood, but, the sun will shine again, your stamina will increase and you'll become stronger as the days grow longer! Count on that! :thumb:
 
@Caron sounds like you are doing incredibly well, brilliant. Even though you are managing a good deal during the day, you still have the stiffness etc. Do you think you are overdoing it or is it part of recovery. It's so hard isn't it. I will be 5 weeks tomorrow and really don't feel I've progressed much. Swelling and stiffness horrible, feels like I am carrying a huge slab of concrete around, so hard to manage too much and like you, sleep is 2 maybe 3 hours. I use ice gel packs in the night and ice machine during the day. Had a really bad night last night as I think I overdid the seated heel slides. Horrendous pain and kept leg elevated all night to get swelling down. Think today will be less. Physio threatened me with MUA as my rom was 25 at just over 2weeks post surgery, swelling really bad. Won't be much difference on Wednesday when due to see them. There's so much to deal with isn't there. Mind goes overdrive. I am in UK West Sussex, sun out today but very cold. Wishing you well, let me know how you get on x
 
Quick question also, is it normal for operated knee to feel warmer at night time please
This lasted with me for about a year- although the degree of warmth gradually decreased. It worried me a lot and there are lots of references to it in threads here.
Some people even measured and tracked the temperature difference with a special skin thermometer.
I read a research paper which showed that knee implants stay metabolically warmer on scans for about 2 years.
So it is definitely normal. Don't worry unless it is really hot/ red and you feel unwell/ feverish.
I noticed that if I had done a lot of exercise in later months- it could get a bit warmer than usual.
 
Hello Caron,
You seem to be making nice progress for 6 1/2 weeks post op.

You can experience warmth in the knee due to the healing and increased blood flow to the area for 6-12 months post op. There's likely still residual inflammation.

Interesting how your PT said you needed to listen to her when you mentioned, BoneSmart, but your surgeon is pleased with your progress. I guess his is the "nod of reassurance" I would appreciate most.
Also getting aches and pains in both legs but think this could be to do with change of gait ( trying not to limp using heel to toe step )
I agree with you. Our gait changes as our joint deteriorates, then changes once again as our body adjusts to the prosthetic. There's a lot of compensating that goes on before surgery and even afterward early on. Continue using the cane and heel-toe walking until all smoothly falls into place…and it will.
Have days when I feel really down and think nothing is getting better then days when I think I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Don’t think this cold snap here in northern England at the moment is helping as I’m scared to venture outside due to icy pavements.
Sounds like a little Post Op Blues, which is only temporary...thankfully! The short gray days of Winter don't do a lot to boost our mood, but, the sun will shine again, your stamina will increase and you'll become stronger as the days grow longer! Count on that! :thumb:
Hi Caron, It's normal post any major surgery to have highs and lows. I feel the same. Some days I feel like taking to my bed and having a weep. The need to mobilise outweighs that so we keep going! Soon the good days will be more and the bad days less, hang in there!
 
Can anyone tell me please, does the tight band feeling just disappear. I know it can take months, but does it just disappear over night and once gone does it ever come back. x
 
Back
Top Bottom