Guest viewing is limited

TKR Day to day sitting about

Also any tips on wound care please. Clips removed 4 days ago. New dressing insitu
 
No wound care beyond keep it clean and protected.

Some folks, after there's zero opening or scabbing, it's 100% closed, like to use something to soften and hasten external healing (my go-to is vit E oil as without it I tend to develop thicker incisional scars) but the truth is almost everybody will see the incisional scar slowly thin and fade with just "tincture of time."
 
Should I still be using a leg raiser beginning of week 4 post op. Find it impossible to straight leg raise still. I also use my non op leg to raise op leg too. Feel useless
 
Please don't feel useless, Caron! You're not, you're recovering from major surgery and not even a month in!

How long a Leg Lifter is used varies from person to person. It depends upon how your recovery is progressing.
I suggest you continue using it if your leg feels too weak, or it causes too much discomfort to lift it on your own. You can gradually reduce using it as you feel your muscles regaining strength. Your pre- surgery condition as well as the rate at which your body is recovering will determine your need also. if you're working with a PT they should be able to assess when your leg is strong enough to stop using the Leg Lifter.

I hope you're having a good day, over yonder, across the pond! :wink: Hang in there, brighter days on the way!
@Caron
 
Thank you. Also yesterday while out, I felt that I had hyperextended my joint while stepping down from an awkward step. It was very painful and today my knee feels a lot stiffer and finding it harder to bend knee and knee appears to have a dent just under knee cap. Is it possible to damage new joint like this. Thank you
 
Also yesterday while out, I felt that I had hyperextended my joint while stepping down from an awkward step. It was very painful and today my knee feels a lot stiffer and finding it harder to bend knee and knee appears to have a dent just under knee cap. Is it possible to damage new joint like this
It's probably OK- just jarred and inflamed. But if it doesn't settle with a bit of extra rest/ice and TLC then check in with your surgeon. Can you send a picture to them of the dent if you are worried?
 
I agree - our implants themselves are pretty tough, so it's generally soft tissue inflammation after something like that.
Were it anything involving sprains or strains, we'd expect significant pain with weight bearing.
Checking in with your ortho team is a great idea.
 
Thank you, I’m see my surgeon tomorrow. Pain is worse when going up and down stairs so maybe pulled quads, I’ll check tomorrow
 
Consultant appointment cancelled till mid January !!! Lost all confidence going up and down stairs since trip a couple of days ago and ? straining quad muscles, having panic attacks at top of stairs ( even came down stairs on my bottom last night ) any help please
 
Oh no, I'm sorry to read that you had a trip. It's something we all fear. I suggest you rest, ice, and elevate your leg until it settles down. Those muscles and tendons have added inflammation since their mishap. Exercise very gently only. They need a chance to settle down.
 
It's natural to be frightened!

I distinctly recall with my first knee replacement that I feared that the slightest misstep would break my implant.

If you can avoid the stairs for a few days and focus on rest, icing, and elevating things should quiet down. Perhaps someone can be with you when you next attempt stairs (not sequentially of course!, just both feet on each stair)?
 
Hi Caron, I am sorry you're so fearful.
Your knee is still healing and feeling unstable, this is normal early on. Hopefully if you need to navigate stairs in your home there is a handrail, or you're well practiced in using an assistive device on stairs.

Wondering if you're in PT, or have any scheduled, because rather than fear, they will help train you on a smaller staircase and likely provide some balance exercises so you feel more confident in navigating stairs. Give yourself some grace by reminding yourself that you are healing, but capable. You can do this!
@Caron
 
Thanks Layla, unfortunately I don’t see physio until the New Year. I was doing the stairs no problem when I first got home. Think it was the feeling of hyperextension after my trip and pain in my quads which has set off this fear. I’m having a day of RICE today and staying upstairs, then tackle them again tomorrow. I will update tomorrow
 
It's one month to date since your surgery. Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're feeling better these days and have a lovely day.
Merry Christmas, Caron! :plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
@Caron
 
Hi Layla, after a bad week last week ( I got a UTI and the antibiotics knock me for 6, spent 3 days up stairs in my bedroomnear the toilet) I know feel like I’m back on track although knee does feel like a block of concrete. Managing my ROM exercises and I’ve had a couple afternoons out. Even managed a couple of afternoons watching my local football team. Still continuing with my ice and elevation and only need pain relief at night time. Had a great Christmas with family. Hope your holiday was special too xx
 
Thanks Caron! Holidays and time with family was great.
I am so sorry to read of the UTI and how it knocked you out. Thankfully you're on the mend, getting back into engaging in activity you enjoy. Wishing you many blessings in the New Year!
@Caron
 
Think I over did last few days, knee was like a pudding last night, very “heavy”, stiff and painful, so today on the sofa, leg elevated toes above nose, and plenty of ice. I will get there slowly but surely x
 
Our knee can really rebel and become a brat when we do things it isn't ready to do. You are doing the right things to get her to calm down. Don't be surprised if it takes more than a few days. That's normal, but it will get better.
 
Hi @Caron I've been reading your journey and can emphasise with a lot of it! I developed a UTI day 6 days post-op, getting up 7 times during the night on the evening of day 5 was excruciating! I'm at 24 days now and like you good days and bad days. I've had a couple of episodes of knee locking and today my knee feels like it doesn't want to work at all. It is a very major op, so we need to bide our time and not expect too much too soon. I hope you don't mind but I've clicked to follow you?! I'm on your side of the pond, I'm English but live in Spain. Take Care, Belinda.
 
Hi Belinda, how far are you into your new knee please and how you coping. Some days I feel I’m doing great only to get up next day and feel like I’m back to square one. Do find this site amazing though and makes you realise we’re not alone
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom