TKR Day 1 on left TKR

Went to third PT session today and man am I getting a lot of scar tissue. Getting stiffer and stiffer for full extension. They are putting my heal on a ball and then putting weights on the top of my knee.
It isn't scar tissue at all. Troublesome scar tissue is really quite rare and it doesn't form this early in your recovery. Simply, what is happening is that all this exercise is increasing swelling in your knee. The swelling prevents your knee from bending or straightening properly.

There is no need at all to worry about extension yet and doing what your PT is doing is just making matters worse. Tell them to stop. Weights are not good and they can do harm this early in recovery.

It isn't exercise that increases you ROM (Range of Motion). It's time and reduction of swelling. The ROM is already there in your knee, just waiting to reveal itself, once your knee is healed enough and the swelling has gone down.
 
I really could not have worked at 3 weeks---I was still taking pain meds and they make me sleepy and muddle headed. If I had been hard up, I think I could have dragged myself to work at six weeks---but, at 8 weeks it was like a light went off and I felt so much better.
 
I had an infection scare and it ended up being a hematoma under my incision. I got all my staples out and am still restricted to 75 percent weight bearing which is limiting my PT. I am up to 135 in flex ion and 0 degrees extension. Cutting back on pain meds during the day if I can but it varies day by day.

Curious, Does anyone else's knee pop or clunk? My pt says it's due to my swelling, but it is very annoying. Also does anyone else have pain on the lateral/outside of their knee right below their joint line? It's actually the top of the fibula. I had a bad lateral compartment so they said they sprained my LCL to do the implant. I have a ton of swelling on the outside of my leg and that is where the popping is. Anyone else experience this?
[Bonesmart.org] Day 1  on left TKR
[Bonesmart.org] Day 1  on left TKR



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I got all my staples out and am still restricted to 75 percent weight bearing which is limiting my PT. I am up to 135 in flex ion and 0 degrees extension. Cutting back on pain meds during the day if I can but it varies day by day.
With a ROM as good as that, you hardly need PT, so don't worry about it. It isn't PT that brings back your ROM. It's time and reduction of swelling.
Curious, Does anyone else's knee pop or clunk? My pt says it's due to my swelling, but it is very annoying. Also does anyone else have pain on the lateral/outside of their knee right below their joint line? It's actually the top of the fibula. I had a bad lateral compartment so they said they sprained my LCL to do the implant. I have a ton of swelling on the outside of my leg and that is where the popping is. Anyone else experience this?
Yes, it's very common to have a clunking, clicking knee. It is the sound of the metal implants moving across the plastic of teh spacer. These hard objects have replaced bone and cartilage, which are both softer.
Most people find that their noisy knee settles down eventually, although my right TKR, which is almost 5 years old, still clunks occasionally.
We have an article about it, here:
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery

The pain will settle down. It's probably a result of the soft tissues being manipulated during surgery. Concentrate on icing, to try and bring down that swelling, and don't forget to elevate your leg and rest, too.
It's a bit early to be cutting back on your meds, especially as this pain is bothering you.
 
I have popping/clunking noises when I walk. It is definitely strange. I'm glad to read the article that Celle sent regarding those sounds. I also had most of my pain on the outside of my knee at the lateral fibula. My OS said I had severe degeneration there. I also had nerve irritation from the removal of diseased bone there and ended up taking Gabapentin, as I could barely put weight on my knee. Lots of swelling all over. But you have great flexion and extension, and the swelling will go down.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom