TKR Day 1 on left TKR

Yes, I can see them now. I assume they are from the former surgery which caused her scar. I will tag @Josephine to answer your question.
 
Yes, I can see them now. I assume they are from the former surgery which caused her scar. I will tag @Josephine to answer your question.
I am just curious. marked in the image.
[Bonesmart.org] Day 1  on left TKR
 
Pain will not be gone for a while, but you will notice it is a different pain. And it gets better over time instead of worse like when the knee was going bad. :)
 
The staff assured me I would be thanking them a month from now.
make that more like 4 months!
@jmdearras, that's part of a plate that was used in a previous surgery, most likely a distal femoral osteotomy or an old fracture fixation. Most of the device was removed but those two bits were left behind and don't appear to be impacting on his new knee
 
My TKR is not cemented at all either. I was told it was very secure. I have no problems with it. As far as pain post op goes I have one comment. After my first surgery I was in pain for quite some time after and without proper pain meds too. While I know many consider stiffness as pain. My stiffness can be relieved by ice and elevation. The OS who did my revision said that I wouldn't be in pain for very long afterwards ( he mentioned two weeks). I was skeptical to be sure but I haven't needed around the clock pain meds since a week post op. So it is possible to be that fortunate.
 
The brace is actually a plate that is left over from a previous distal femoral osteotomy. The screws were stripped so they just left it.

Went to third PT session today and man am I getting a lot of scar tissue. Getting stiffer and stiffer for full extension. They are putting my heal on a ball and then putting weights on the top of my knee.

After 10 minutes of that I cannot walk. IT hurts so bad, but the therapist insists I need it. Anyone else go through this?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh no, your knee is way too new to be doing that. I'm not even doing therapy, just the heel slides and quad squeezes. You and I had our replacements on the same day. There's no way I could even ride to therapy. Hopefully, one of the monitors will answer you shortly.
 
It is unlikely you are getting scar tissue--you are probably swollen from all the PT. Remember your knee is a mere baby.
 
Wait???? The PT is supposed to be helping you, not making things worse. You do not have scar tissue---you have extra swelling from overly aggressive pt. If it hurts, tell them to stop doing it. You are the customer here and you call the shots---not them. I would immediately ask for a PT who is trained in current PT techniques. This one is not properly trained.k

My PT has a phd---here is what I was doing at your stage: Leg lifts with no weights. Stretching my leg. Walking around the gym to check my gait. Clam shells and a long session of massage.

I had some trouble with my extensions---at 8 weeks, I would lay on the bed with my leg extended for a few minutes at a time. At 3 months, my extension was zero. You do NOT need to be doing this now---you are hindering your recovery with this.
 
I started off post op with extension only at 12. It has slowly gotten better walking around and very few exercises and I'm at 3 now. I can do anything I want and I'm sure my extension can continue to get better as time goes by. I never let PT push or put any weights on my knee. I've learned that the hard way. There's no need to be tortured when my knee will heal just as well with just daily living.
 
When your quad is firing properly---hence the quad sets and leg lifts, you can walk with a normal gait and that does a lot to make your extension happen. There is no time limit to deal with extension---they are creating a problem which does not exist.
 
When your quad is firing properly---hence the quad sets and leg lifts, you can walk with a normal gait and that does a lot to make your extension happen. There is no time limit to deal with extension---they are creating a problem which does not exist.

Thank you for the input guys. This sure does suck. Hopefully I can continue to progress with no more 2 hour procedures.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
She said I have one of the stronger quads she has seen. Any assurance helps at this point.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It has slowly gotten better walking around and very few exercises and I'm at 3 now.
I was at 3 at 6 months. I moved less than a degree a month, but it DID move. Now at 145/0 after 9 months. I quit PT after 2 weeks of it. It was obviously (in hindsight) slowing and stopping progress.
 
145/0, that seems like the perfect set of stats. Did you actively work on getting your leg out and strong? I do think it is counter productive to be flexing my quad when there are week old sutures running through the middle of it. 145/0 would put you in almost a full range of motion wouldn't it? Are you able to do pretty much anything you set your mind to at this point?

On a different note, I didn't sleep well again last night after PT. Way too much pain after the intense stretching. I am going to back them off on Monday and see how I feel Tuesday. How long did you guys wait until you went back to work? I work a lot on the phone, and I have the ability to work from home. I was thinking 2 weeks, but that will be next Wednesday and I really don't feel mentally ready to start dealing with it yet.

Just curious how long you guys waited before returning to work.
 
My OS says I have all I will ever need. When standing for a while, sometimes, I try to hyper-extend my knee mildly, that's all I do for extension. In bed, I would pull my leg into flexion to the point of feeling stretch, not pain, periodically. After the knee was basically healed, around 6 months, I was 125/3, and it was just quad and tendon stretch that got the rest. OS told me I could probably reach 155, but I would have to lose weight to get there! :heehee:

I should add I am bull-headed, and OCD. :)
 
Just curious how long you guys waited before returning to work.
I worked from home (I manage remote web servers) one week post op. Was cleared to drive at the end of the second week, and I drove to work, parked under the office building in handicapped, and was back at work the third week. I get chastised for sharing this, but it's the truth. I am considered an exception here, though this was discussed with my OS and he agreed pre-op. For a number of reasons, I could not risk going on disability.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom