Guest viewing is limited

THR darn glad that's over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damn!

graduate
Joined
Sep 15, 2012
Messages
893
Age
59
Gender
Female
Hello everyone! Just like the thread title says, I'm glad that's over with. Had the surgery on Monday, the doctor says that things were much worse than he expected, but that all went well. Had an allergic reaction to the laundry detergent used at the hospital, but a quick bed bath, change into personal clothing and a special "hypo-allergenic" bed linens and lots of benedryl solved that issue. I was given 3 units of blood on Tuesday. PT/OT started out first thing Tuesday morning. The rest of the hospital stay was quiet and uneventful. Doc released me late Thursday evening. Went home to some puppies who were very happy to see their Mommy :puppysmooze:.

My husband (he was given this week off and will leave next week), drove me to my school on Friday morning where I had an appointment to interview for the Principal's job. That was interesting. Will hear about the job by Tuesday morning, so keeping my fingers (not legs) crossed.

The pain has been surprisingly minimal. Taking percocet upon waking and right before bed. The rest of the day I am using the bonesmart cocktail and it has been wonderful. I have no bruising, except for a little around the two drain holes in my thigh. Swelling is kept under control with ice. In-home PT and Home health care both started coming on Friday afternoon. PT order is for 5x a week for 4 weeks at home. The PT says I am going to get really, really bored as I am non-weightbearing for 4 weeks and not allowed any abduction at all. Daily wound cleaning dressing changes are ordered from health care. Having some issues with my skin as I am allergic to all but paper tape, and even now that it beginning to burn when they put it on, so we are using ACE wraps instead.

I have 3 weeks of Lovenox injections to give myself. That was an interesting aside.... the doctor wrote the Rx for the blood thinners and told my husband and me that he was not releasing me from the hospital until he actually saw the Rx filled and brought to the hospital. The nurse had me inject myself on Wedneday, and had my husband inject me on Thursday. She told us that had we not been able to get the medication due to price or other issues, the doctor has been known to make the necessary arrangements for his patients. Since we get all our medication on the Air Force base, there is no cost to us, but I appreciated the sentiment.

I have set myself up a couple of stations in my house and 1 outside. Obviously, I have my bedroom set up, so I go to bed pretty early, about 9:00 pm and stay in bed until about 7:00-8:00 am. I then move to the living room. I sit in my recliner until I feel like a position change is in order. I then move to the couch. My daughter has made it quiet cozy with a number of folded up quilts and pillows on it so it meets my hip restrictions. Then, when I want to blow the stink off of me, I move to my screened in front porch. I have a rocking chair and ottoman out there that is super comfie and also meets the restrictions.

No bone-on-bone pain for me. A little surprised by the frustration level of not being able to do things for myself. With the crutches, carrying things is a pain. I got out a mini-backpack so now I can put my phone, laptop, Kindle, soda/water, etc. in it and carry it from station to station.

So, a question for my fellow hippies, WHEN CAN I SHOWER????? I have searched all the paperwork given to me and asked the home health care worker when I could shower and have not been provided an answer.

Best wishes to my fellow hippies and November nimbles. Now that I am back on-line, I will be looking in on everyone.

Tammy
 
OMG, did I just read that you went for a job interview on your 4th post-op day? I wonder what Josephine is going to say. Duck!
I'm so glad you're doing well. Sounds like you've got your house set up conveniently; lots of good planning. We are indeed having beautiful weather right now, great for sitting on the porch.
I was allowed to shower in the hospital. The dressing seemed to be impermeable so the incision didn't get wet.
Keep up the great recovery, neighbor!
 
I never saw that
[Bonesmart.org] darn glad that's over!


So, a question for my fellow hippies, WHEN CAN I SHOWER????? I have searched all the paperwork given to me and asked the home health care worker when I could shower and have not been provided an answer
You've been asking the wrong people. Phone your surgeon's office and ask his nurse.
 
Tammy, if you don't want to wait till Monday to call your surgeon's office and check on the shower issue, you could try calling the ward in the hospital where you were. I had no restrictions on showering, but I think it depends on what kind of stitches/staples/whatever were used, and what kind of bandages were used. Some people are told not to shower until all drainage stops. It really varies....like so many things!

That must have been a fun job interview. Really....a person who can handle an interview 4 days after major surgery can handle anything a school environment can throw at them. Good luck, tough cookie. :)

Sharon
 
I am glad to hear things are going well, and can totally relate to your frustration! I have a feeling the shower thing may vary from one patient to the next.....let us know what your surgeon says! I was given the okay 9 days post op. Just took my first shower today. As excited as I was it definitely came with its own challenges! Wishing you luck and a speedy recovery:)
 
Tammy,

What a whirlwind adventure! Glad hubby is able to spend the week with you. It's probably a big relief to both of you.

Did you already know you were allergic to the tape? I really do like those ace "sticky" wraps. I'm glad your stay wasn't too bad once you got the soap issue taken care of. Too bad you had to have the extra units of blood though, but I bet you're feeling better because of it. They had mentioned that they will filter/recycle any of my blood loss back to me. I have a tendency to be a bit hypovolemic (not enough blood in my system which triggers some dizziness, plus I have a low normal bp), so hopefully I won't need any extra.

You said you are non-weightbearing for 4 weeks. Is that due to the amount of "extra" work the doc had to do? Are you using regular crutches or elbow crutches? I know when I was non-weight bearing and used the regular crutches before, my hands hurt the worse. I ended up finding a pair of padded weight lifting gloves that helped with that.

I'm sure you did great with the interview! I'm assuming it's already in your building or within your district, right? So they've probably already seen you in action, not to mention doing the interview right after major surgery... They'd be nuts not to hire you, especially now that you have your new axle!

I know my PA already told me no showers until the staples are out, but I mentioned that I had the "film" covers that go over the bandages and he thought that'd work fine if I was up to it. He said 5-7 days and they'd be out, so I could shower after that. Did you get staples? Obviously, you'll want to check in with them to find out their protocol.

Sounds like your pre-planning and arranging everything is really working out. Remember, you don't have to do things by yourself yet. Let those girls help you out! That then gives you a chance to hang out with the pups! Your job is to rest (I know it's not in your nature -- you're just an energizer bunny!), ice, and elevate! Glad to hear your pain is under control. Hopefully PT won't stress things too much, so make sure you also keep yourself in check to not overdo it!!!

Sending good healing vibes your way across the country!

Take Care,

dede62
 
Well that has to be a record Tammy ..... Job interview at 4 days post op! Hope you get it, fingers crossed form down under :)

You know the routine... so now let the recovery begin :)
 
I hope your determination counts for something in that interview!!

As to the shower, I was told that I could shower right away, just put a clean dressing on afterwards. But definitely talk to your doctor!
 
Thanks all. Yes, the interview was 4 days post-op. It is in my building so the folks on the committee are very familiar with my work. It was interesting to say the least. The one nice thing about going when I did, was that there was still enough pain medication in my system that I was not nervous in the least. :heehee: But not enough to make me sound all whacked out!

The sleeplessness I have read about on this forum is here with a vengence tonight. Almost 4:00 am and I can not sleep yet. Decided to get up and see what my surgery buddies are up too. I can not seem to get comfortable no matter what I do. I have an abduction pillow I can use if I want to sleep on my stomach, but can't manage to get rolled over. Will save that position for latter in my recovery. Back sleeper I am not. Guess I will catch up on sleep with a few naps tomorrow.

Well I am off. I have a date with my ice pack! Check in with you all later.

Tammy
 
Hi Tammy, sorry you are sleepless - but I am afraid it's all part of recovery. Don't fight it. Do nap during the day to catchup.

Did your surgeon give you any restrictions about sleeping on your stomach? Just asking because mine did. I had to sleep on my back for the first 6 weeks. Not fun, but I was used to it having had spinal surgery several years ago.

Happy healing (and fingers crossed on your interview!).
 
Tammy, so glad you are on the mend! I am having some trouble getting a pain med rhythm going. the percoset causes major nausea which Zophran helps but they severely limit the amount of Zophran I can get, have no idea why. What is a bone smart cocktail? I have prescriptions fot hydrocodone. and tramadol along with the percoset, just can't figure out the best order for pain and my stomach. Last night tried just the hydrocodone and woke up pretty awful...any ideas would've appreciated. Josephine
 
Sorry guys, just found the cocktail in the library, but I guess that is out for me...since I'm on Coumadin for 4 weeks I can't take any NSAID products.
 
Tammy,

Sorry you're not sleeping well. Hopefully you'll be able to take some quality naps throughout the day.

Sounds like you got the same lovely parting gift from the hospital that I'm getting -- the wedge pillow. They showed us at our hip class, and I think I saw a grin on my husband's face... New torture device - strap 'er in. :yikes:

dede62
 
That cocktail is really for after you've been able to stop prescription meds at about 6-8 weeks. Best thing you can do is discuss it with your surgeon and ask him if you can try something else like Tramadol or codeine.
 
Hi Tammy! Welcome to "the other side". I was wondering where you were, and how you were doing. It is so nice that your husband is able to stay the first week. I, too, find the inability to do some things for myself quite frustrating. Although, my SO is frustrated by how much I do try to do for myself. My surgeon (well the PA, really) said no showers for 3-5 days after leaving hospital. Basically, wait until after all the wounds are dried up - including drain hole. I took a sponge bath today, which felt really nice. Before that I was using the body wash cloths that you can buy at the store. (they are like baby wipes but more substantial). I am lucky, I had the anterior method so no bending restrictions.

I, too, am in awe of you doing an interview so soon after surgery! of course, that would be like me doing one today. I guess I could if I had to, but much happier to lounge around the house :)

I am jealous that you get to have an outdoor station! It is a bit too cold for that here, but I have the perfect deck for it.

Well, take it easy surgery buddy!
 
Hi all,

I used today as a lovely down-day. Just hung aroung with the family while lying on the couch. Had at least one of my fur-babies with me all day. Took a spin or two to my outside station. It was a lovely 85 degrees (F) here in sunny Florida, so a beautiful day for just sitting on the porch and reading my Kindle between naps.

The doctor said to strap on the abduction pillow if I wanted to sleep on my stomach, however, I can't seem to manage getting onto my stomach without violating any of the restrictions. So, that will have to wait. The nurse measured the incision today, it is 18.5 cm or about 7 1/2 inches. 30 staples and two separate drain holes. Swelling and numbness are bothersome, but controlled by ice.

nerdgrrl: how are you feeling so far? Any issues? Best of everything to you.

dede62: good luck tomorrow. I will be thinking of you and wishing you the best.

Tammy
 
Thanks Tammy. I'll be on the other side in no time. Hubby didn't appreciate the 24 hour count downs for in surgery and in the room this morning. :whistle: We're watching football this afternoon and will head up early tonight...

dede62
 
Just got a call confirming that since I am non-weightbearing for 4 weeks (well, 3 more now), I am to continue doing the in-home PT with Home Health Care, then my doctor will write a script for outpatient PT.

Question for those who have had to use injectable blood thinners: Does the blood thinner cause sleeplessness?

Thanks everyone!

Tammy
 
Hi Tammy, sorry don't know nothing about blood thinners and sleepiness, but I have been reading your story, and I do know what an amazing amazing lady you are, brave and so full of energy and you seem to take everything so lighthearted and the whole hip episode and restrictions etc sounds almost a natural thing to do! In contrary I am such a worrier about everything, trying so hard not to but that makes me even more worried!!! I am in the process of getting the hip fixed so you are definitely a role model to me especially since we are similar age too! Take good care and I will keep following you. Oh and another good luck .... you should get the job!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom