Guest viewing is limited

THR DallasSarah post op update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That all sounds great Sarah. I agree about the side walk with the band...that has a good burn to it.

My PT throws in a foot waggle where while balancing on one foot I "wave" my other leg to and from, back and forth. Supposedly makes the muscles keep firing as they adjust to my changed center of gravity,

And 14 pounds is AWESOME ...that is no small feat (no pun intended). I am jealous...keep up that great work!

Z
 
WOW 14lbs - that is terrific Sarah!!! You go girl! I am delighted to hear you are doing so well and making great progress. :thumb:
 
Thanks Deb and Z,

Must ask what's a foot waggle? Is it like a cushion-sponge you stand on to mess its your balance? He did that today made me stand on this for my squats and tippy toe ones, it definitely made me do better squats and stopped me leaning to the left....just wanting to baby this new hip :)
 
Those Balance exercises do make you wander. Never had to do a DUI test. If I had to do one now I would Fail that Fast. My balance is non existent with my eyes closed standing on either foot or on the foam cushion and both feet on the ground one in front of the other I last 2 or 3 seconds before I grab for support.

Sarah has some pain come back now that you are in PT and stressing the hip?
 
Hi John,

No pain only started my therapy last Friday. I did the at home therapy for about 5-6 weeks then put everything on hold while I adjusted back to work and a normal life routine. Soooo I'm definitely a late bloomer in this part I was going to jump into therapy end of January but this guy didn't have any openings so that's why I waited. Plus he knows I don't want to do anything wild and crazy, definitely don't want to hurt at all. Those days of going into a gym and hurting for days are completely over for me....no pain for this Chica!

I'm thinking I probably could have rebounded a little quicker, I took lazy and resting to a different level and thoroughly enjoyed I'm in no rush and luckily my life is very calm right now with working from home etc. NICE! Walking Miles daily I think has been a great source for healing too!

This afternoon I'm sore not painful just a little stiffer but I've been going since early this morning. I will also add I'm super liberal in taking Advil or if I think I've had a super long active day I'll take two hydrocodone.
 
Hi Sarah,

So good to hear from you and what a wonderful update! Good for you on the weight loss, I'm sure it has a lot to do with how great you are feeling. Keep up the good work!
 
Sarah,

So he has me stand on a wobbly cushion there...at home I just stand on a thick pillow that is less solid than the floor....it undermines my balance.

Then i SWING my other leg around...in front of me...behind me, out to the side. I will CLAIM that this is a very natural thing for me, because as a soccer player I do a lot of things with one foot on the ground and the other foot waving about controlling the ball in the air...or on the ground, but regularly on one foot leaning to and fro...

and in this exercise...I have to do this gyration stuff for 30 seconds. So here is the story...if I don't get to 30 (which happens at least half the time), I don't count it as complete...23 seconds...no good...start over. SO LAST NITE, I start to lose my balance at 27 seconds, standing on this pillow, and instead of gracefully putting my foot down AND STARTING OVER, I fight to save it for 3 more seconds and end up jumping on my new hip leg (which happens to be 4 inches deep in a squishy pillow). Twas not smart, nor graceful...but it was a tad frightening! Good twinge of pain but no repercussions last nite or when I got up this AM. I will say in a quitters sort of way that I "counted the 29 second" effort...and called that exercise DONE for the nite.

Let this be a lesson to ye all....Don't go for the daring "save" in that situation. Heck...27 seconds is plenty close enough....count it and move on.

Z
 
Hi Sarah,

Glad to hear you have joined the ranks of us going to and enduring outpatient PT. Gotta love when they make you balance on one leg, but it really does help. I can remember my first out patient PT session and couldn't even stand for 2 seconds on my operated leg, now I'm up to 10 reps of 10 secs, each leg. Not sure if I'll ever get to Z's remarkable 30 secs and moving my other leg around (I'd end up on my butt :th_heehee:)

Keep up the good work and congrats on losing 14lbs, definitely no easy feat :thumb:

Liz
 
Sarah, Just rereading your post about PT and all. I know what you mean about the resting, some days I think I am lazy. But I am glad to hear you say you take your hydrocodone if needed as I still do some days also and thought I wasn't getting anywhere. Little tired and little discouraged today wondering when I might get back to work. I know I do not have the strength yet, but it will come in time. Sleep tight. Do you know where Sandy has been?
 
Hello Dianemarie,

I'm not sure where Sandy is, I'm sure she will stop by and say hello soon, hope so!

I don't feel bad about taking a couple of hydrocodone here and there, I do try to take the Advil too when needed. *Not sure this is a good thing to say I find the prescription pills to be pretty mellow, they definitely still work funny they seem stronger now then when I was taking more frequently, you would think the opposite effect.

PT I'm pleasantly surprised how enjoyable it is...I've even been doing my homework "shock" where I live there is this amazing brand new gym it takes me maybe 2 minutes to walk over to it, I always giggle and tell people I break out in hives when I see or go near a gym!!

On your energy level it will come back soon, we all heal very differently.

After you wrote about your pedicure I immediately made an appointment for this Thursday, my feet don't look so bad just my toe nails are rather long icky!! So thank you for reminded me :)

Be good to your knee and to yourself :thumb:

xxooxx
 
This is a test posting....I changed my settings under my control panel so now I can play with all the little happy faces!!

:hysterical::secretaea::yay::yahoo::doggieshmooze:

Which is rare for me. If I stay in the thread to long it will boot me out and I loose everything so to keep easy I go back and use a very basic style message format and I no longer have the smiley icons but I have a all the time to finish my thoughts! This is all trivial.....tonight is my night to play before bed! The icons are very cute!

:sleigh::xbanner::snowplough::xmasmore:
 
hi Sarah

Just a quick message re Sandy, I received a message quote:

"I'm not very well at the moment and need to look after myself, I won't post much on BS for the time being but will be back when I can" (slight paraphrasing).

I'm sure she won't mind me posting that just to keep all her old Hippie friends in the loop. Obviously we all send her our very best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Charlie
ps I'll also post this on my thread to get the info around.
 
Thanks Charlie, for the update on Sandy. Will keep her in our prayers and well wishes...
Sarah,
Yes, pedicures are the best especially when one can't reach one's toes! Love the new smilies and congrats on being in training to be a moderator...you will be awesome at it. Know what you mean about the hydro and the gym. How funny, but I am glad you have one so close to you, but now no excuses! Rested yesterday, no knee problems whatsoever, going out to lunch today with 2 friends from work and really looking forward to some socializing. Thanks for being such a sweetie.
 
HI Sarah, just noticed your 'promotion' congratulations! Sounds like you're doing great with the PT and the weight loss. 14Lbs is great in such a short time too - you must be really dedicated, I've just managed to get to 12lbs off but been actively trying since SEPT! kEEP it up :thumb:
 
Hi Lisa,

I'm excited about learning about being a moderator, wow tons of reading to do and training. I'm really appreciative for everyone's support both before and after my surgery it seemed natural to help welcome new hipsters in plus a great excuse to stay in touch with all my friends on here. Cheesy and true!

Oyyyy on the weight, thank you...it's tough I think all this week I've been dreaming about chocolate and when Haldox wrote the word snickers which is like a mars bar with nuts it put me over the edge ahhhhhhh! I really did pack some weight on after the surgery, eventhough I had lost a good amount of weight before around 35-40 I was still a little short of my goal. See I've said it now I'm horrible at yoyo..ing with 50lbs and anyone who struggles with weight knows to well the older we get the tougher it gets! That's my big grumble tonight after eating my salad. Chip butty sounds good right now!

Hope all is well for you.

xxooxx
 
Hey Sarah,

Till before my 1st THR and my 2nd I had dropped almost 70 lbs. Have gained back a little but am committed to losing it again and the rest I need to. But I ate chocolate everyday, but the organic 70% or 85% cocoa kind-just one little piece every evening. It did the trick for me and supposedly it is good for you. You are doing super and salads start tasting better as we move towards spring. Hope you enjoyed your pedicure.
 
Adorable Haldox that's going to be first treat soon :) thank you for the congrats! I'm excited about learning about the moderators role lots to read and learn.

Dianemarie, I'm banned from chocy at the moment. Wow 70lbs is amazing I'm sure that feels great. I firmly believe you can eat lots of good fun food groups including chocolate, snicker bars and all those yummy foods all in moderation. Right now I just want to get a good chunk of my weight of and then balance out. I had to reschedule my toes for Saturday afternoon. I had made an early appointment for today 5pm and i forgot I had some things for work I had to get done before tomorrow morning. Saturday I can truly relax and not worry about anything!!

Thank you for all the sweet wishes!

xxooxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom