Revision TKR CUBBY217's has a new Oxinium knee implant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cubby217 I also wanted to tell u that I had a bone scan done on my total knee replacement and it came back showing no loosening but when I found my new surgeon and he did my surgery my lower half of my replacement part wasn't even attached to the cement or bone. Cement was attached to bone but not attached to my replacement part so me personally don't trust those test at all. My body has never shown any results in any of the machine tests,mri,bone scan etc..... I would call around to different surgeons and ask them over the phone if they deal with knee replacement allergies,and if I were u I would go out of ur area,I went to a place a little over an hr. In order to get help

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
 
@borymms4 I did go out of my area, an hour and a half away in another state. Interesting about your bone scan those. Will see what my synovial aspiration tells me. I do believe I have an infection or something going on because of the nickel allergy.
 
If it were me, I would find an OS that does revisions, and believes your allergy is an important part of your knee problems. If you need a revision you need some one who understands allergies and the importance of the proper implant.
 
Hi @cubby217 . I have just read your thread and am amazed at the problems you have been having. In one of your earlier posts you asked about hospitals. A friend of mine had his done at Mass General and he was very happy---but it was not a revision. Brigham and Women's Hospital and Beth Israel Deaconess are top notch and advanced. I wish you luck with this.
 
I agree with the others that you definitely need to find a revision specialist. While I didn't have an allergy I did find that having my revision really made a great difference in my ROM and pain levels. I hope you can find someone that can help you out.
 
Wow, Cubby217, what a time you have had... I just quickly thought I'd check new posts, and I found your thread. I'm not of any use in terms of the allergies, but when I read your very first post, with your description of all you've been dealing with, I thought of my own daughter. Why? Because those were some of her symptoms before she finally was diagnosed with Lupus. Not that you have it, you probably do not, but have you ever had anyone test you for some of the other stuff you have had going on? It took my daughter 4 years to get a correct diagnosis, but then she had no joint issues or knee issues yet, as she was quite young when diagnosed. It sounds like you'll get lots of support here and maybe some ideas for paths chosen by others that might suggest options for you. What an interesting path can lie before us as we manage our way through these challenging issues with our bodies! Haang in there; sending lots of support!
 
Quest Labs sent the blood to National because it was sent to them in error. It should have gone to National. I don't know what kind of test they did. @Riley or anyone else that would know. It was mentioned that the doctor needed to write the prescription with the correct coding. Does anyone know what the code is?

BTW, my aspirations came back negative for infection yesterday.Have no idea what the plan is now.
 
I guess my question is really if they do the same type of tests that was done in Chicago and Denver. Is it a standard test? How can I get this information? Also, do I leave this surgeon who does not believe in the nickel allergy or do I go back to the original doctor whose PA says he does believe that I have a nickel allergy based on the pictures I showed him of my patch test? That appointment is this week and has been scheduled for four months. I am using a walker in my house because I am afraid to fall and when using the walker, it is amazing how well I walk. My stride is better. I am not waddllng as my daughter and friend tell me I do.
 
@BBCG In 2003 I was diagnosed with Remitting MS. I was having numbness ironically in my right leg which is the one that is really bothering me now. In 2014, when all the knee pain was really getting back, I had an MRI and was told I do not have MS. I have seen a Rheumie who has tested me for Sjogrens, Lupus, Lyme. you name it. She sent me to Mass General to a Neuro-Immunologist who repeated all the testsas well as doing an EMG. The only thing that doctor found was neuropathy of my left toes but she did now know why. The nickel allergy came up and she did some investigating and thought that should be investigated.She felt that could be my problem. Her notes went to the doctor I am seeing but he discounts nickel allergy. I am so very tired and discouraged.
 
@cubby217 I moved two of your posts two your own thread, so that way, others could see your issues and answer you directly, instead of in someone else's thread. By posting questions, issues, and concerns in your thread, we can answer and advise you without interrupting another member's thread.

Thanks so much for your understanding!
 
Does the OS not believe in nickel allergies or not believe you have a nickel allergy? Either way, if you are unhappy with the answers given I'd do some research and look for an OS that has TONS of revision experience. An experienced revision specialist will look at your info through a new and different lens than your original OS.
 
@Cubby:I am so sorry about you circumstances. Very tragic & no answers, what a terrible place to be in. My own mom was so allergic to most all metals but especially nickel. Within minutes her skin would blister. It affected her for years. But her final battles were with cancer Along with most of the posts here I agree that you owe it to yourself to find a doctor that believes in metal allergies & will help with your situation. I am going to my doctor next week. I go to a teaching hospital in Northern Calif. I am asking my doctor for a suggestion on a doctor that can help you. He may say no but I don't think so. It can't hurt to ask. And above all we will be praying for you.
 
OK Here is where I am. Heard from OS and no infection in knees so he is willing to turn my Mako Unicondylar into a TKA in December. I asked again about the possibility of nickel allergy. Told there really isn't any proven documentation regarding nickel allergy and would not consider putting in the Oxinium knee. Surgery will be in December.
I found my nickel blood testing. It was done at Quest/NMS Labs in Willow Grove, PA. Results of Nickel, Serum/Plasma test done by Inductively Coupled Plasma/Mass Spectrometry. Results were: None Detected with Reporting Limit: 4.0 mcg/L. Normally less than 2.0 mcg/L whatever that all means. Chromium levels were normal and done at Quest Labs as well as Cobalt Blood. So I guess that it is safe to assume that since Quest sent it out to another lab, it should be okay???

As for now, I have my previously scheduled appt today with the original OS who had back surgery. He will basically be my 2nd opinion since I never got to see him and his partner referred me the current OS. Bringing everything with me, scans etc. Wondering if you agree with this. He has done revisions for nickel allergies.

I never did find out if my implant were part of the recalls as there were so many of the Optetrak recalled that I was overwhelmed.

Feel free to give me any input you may have!
 
If it was me, I would definitely see the other surgeon and get his opinion. I don't know anything about recalls but the OS (probably his office) who put it in can probably help you with that.
 
I would definitely go see the other surgeon and as for the recall call the office where it was put in and tell them you need the model number,make and serial number of the implant that you have. I had to do that because mine ended up being a recall . Just a warning,they might give u a Hassel about giving you that information. Mine fought me tooth and nail and was not polite to me at all. I had to tell them that it was my legal right and that I would get a lawyer then they gave in. You might have to pay a few cents per page that they print but it isn't much.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
 
I wrote a long post last night and it vanished. So here goes. I saw the original OS and I really liked him. Has done 4 revisions for nickel. He said that it made no difference in his patients but he is willing to turn my right partial into a TKA with an Oxinium knee but the cement could have nickel in it..

He does not think it will make too much of a difference because of my Fibromyalgia. A doctor who actually believes in Fibro because his mother has suffered for years with it so he understood. Last night I was excited and then woke up realizing that he won't touch my left TKA which has nickel in it because he says there is nothing wrong with it except it is painful.

So I will still be dealing with nickel in my body, thus having one no nickel knee will mean nothing. He did say that when he gets into the knee, he may find something there but his main focus is getting my right knee straight. On top of that, he can't do it until February unless he gets a cancellation which won't happen because I have to be cleared a month before the surgery by my cardiologist because of the A-Fib.

So I'm nowhere...
 
This is an interesting read. broken link removed: https://www.paallergy.org/SiteAssets/Documents/2014-Presentations/Pacheco-Metal%20Allergy-update.pdf
 
My revision device was not cemented in but was made so the bone grows into it to make it strong. You can have a discussion if you are concerned that your nickel allergy might make you more likely to be allergic to the cement.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom