Revision TKR CUBBY217's has a new Oxinium knee implant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cubby217,
The OS's are sure giving you the run around.
Here is some information about Nickel allergies from the library.
Allergies: Metal allergy in joint replacement
Allergies: Metal allergies and knee replacements
Allergies: Nickel Allergy Concerns

An infection that take at least 2 weeks to grow out in a culture.
Infection: Acne pathogen implicated in peri-prosthetic infections

About late onset infections.
Infection: Peri-prosthetic infection - also known as late onset infection

I hope you find some answers and solutions soon!
 
My research showed that even though it is titanium, there is nickel inside. Also the type of cement my doctor used has nickel in it. I spent 8 days in the hospital with hives in 2004. They tested me for everything except nickel. I often wonder if nickel as been my whole problem all my life with the skin rashes, hives, and now the problem with the knees. I even had a reaction to the Dermabond when I had a lipoma taken out of my neck in April. When I researched that, it had nickel in it. I need to bring everything to this doctor, I guess.
 
What kind of knee did he finally put in?


Hi Cubby217, it has been 4 months now since my revision. I am doing better in the fact that I am no longer falling and my rash/burn is no longer spreading. I am glad I got it done. I have some permanent damage because of it being so bad and not being able to find anyone to fix it or admit to the allergy for 7 yrs. I am still in a decent amount of pain but still better then before. As for doctors ,most don't believe that u can be allergic and the patch test is a positive way to prove that you are . If the surgeons,doctors don't really want to get into the middle of all this most likely they won't be willing to admit that you are allergic,mine didn't. My revision surgery was 4 hours mayb a little longer,you just have to keep trying to find the right surgeon. Feel free to ask me anything else u would like to know

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
 
The auscalp, I think it is what is called . The gold coated knee. Nickel is in alot of things,I can't even use regular shampoos,even make up,zippers that r metal,even metal glasses. It is weird that when I go get new glasses they ask if ur allergic to metals but I had to fight and argue my way through to get anyone to understand that I was allergic to my replacement

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
 
I'm sorry that you are still getting a run around. I would suggest that you look for another OS to do any revisions that might be required. I say this because the one you are dealing with currently seems to be hesitant to accept that you have an allergy to nickel.
 
I am also allergic to snaps on my jeans, buckle on my watches (i put clear nail polish on it), can't wear metal glasses, only plastic which is hard when you need progressive lens so I have two pairs of glasses. I am going to give this doctor a chance because it was the fellow who made the nickel allergy comment. If the bone scan shows something, I will be having the synovial aspiration so I am going to ask for a metals testing other than the positive patch test I had. In reading up on nickel allergy, it is amazing what foods contain nickel (seafood which I used to eat a lot of), anything out of a metal can, chocolate and other stuff I cannot remember but I did print out a copy of the Nickel Allergy Diet at one time.
 
OK. Report is back from bone scan and they don't see any loosening in my partial, just a lot of arthritis and some effusion so he wants to do another synovial aspiration. I asked his PA who is the one who called me, whether he could test for nickel allergy. She said I could talk to him at the aspiration but she knows he'll say know. She said there is no proof that nickel is anything other than a dermatology problem. I told her that I knew of others whose problems went away when they had a different knee put in.

So now what do I do? I know you are going to say find another doctor but where????
 
@Born2teach Where did they send your Melisa test? And what kind of implant did you have put in the second time?

@Borntoteach Where did they send your MELISA test? And what kind of knee did they put in?

I began to the process of trying to get in to see another OS in December prior to the first doctor deciding to perform my scar tissue removal. When the scar tissue surgery didn't provide relief or results and the knee continued to worsen, I followed thru and made the appointment for April with the PA at the second doctor's office. At that appt. blood was taken for several tests including the MELISA test.
@Borntoteach Where did they send your MELISA test? And what kind of knee did they put in?

I began to the process of trying to get in to see another OS in December prior to the first doctor deciding to perform my scar tissue removal. When the scar tissue surgery didn't provide relief or results and the knee continued to worsen, I followed thru and made the appointment for April with the PA at the second doctor's office. At that appt. blood was taken for several tests including the MELISA test.
 
Synovial aspiration is scheduled for tomorrow. Evidently there is some effusion on my right partial knee. This is getting so trying.
 
Hi Cubby. I'm saying prayers that answers are found for your issues and that you do not have to suffer anymore.

Are they withdrawing the fluid for culture & sensitivity (check for infection)? I'm sure one of the forum leaders will be able to advise you on this procedure.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Yes. One was done in August but was not "grown" long enough. He wants this on to grow two weeks. The last one was done in radiology. He is doing this one in the office.
 
Yes, for a culture and sensitivity.
 
Good. I had read it that the culture should be grown for 14 days. Best to you, and hopefully answers.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
BTW, in case I did not mention this, the ortho doc says there is no evidence that nickel allergy exists...
 
I think your ortho doc is a bit out of date. A second opinion would be a good idea.
 
I am highly allergic to nickel, getting all the reactions you mentioned, all of my life. My OS didn't question this and used 100% Zimmer Persona titanium knees in LTKR in June 2016 and RTKR in October 2016. So far everything is going very well. I wish you the best.
 
My left TKA is a titanium. My right knee is a partial Mako. Not sure what is in it.
 
@pumpkin Well that is great information. I just found out from my allergist that I had the T.R.U.E. TESTâ„¢* Patch Test. The result is that the patch for nickel reacted with a few hours. I managed to keep it on for almost 36 hours of the 72 hours that I was supposed to leave it on. I started to itch immediately and it grew quickly to a quarter size blistering patch. It was horrible.

The blood test was done at National Medical Labs in PA.

I showed pictures of my results to my ortho doc who discounted the allergy. I have Exactech as my implant. I don't know what the Mako partial is but I do know that my investigation showed that Exactech and does have nickel under the titanium. Also the cement has nickel in it.

So now where do I go from here?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom