Bilateral TKR Crow22 Recovery Diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @ljrfrm a most happy belated 8 weeks! wow can you believe it? I've been busy with our greenhouse and garden/orchard, so that's why I've been MIA. This time of year is really busy for us as we are harvesting produce, freezing, canning and getting ready for winter.
I'm doing really great, I must say. I'm feeling like I'm getting my life back, one step at a time. I drove for the first time since surgery last Saturday and it felt really awesome to be a little more independent again. I was told by my OS to be off the hydrocodone, so I made sure it was 10-12 hours since my last pill before I got behind the wheel. I was able to use the brake with no problem and sit in traffic without any pain. Yea! I did my grocery shopping and then tootled back home.
I've been off the hydrocodone for 6 days! I had to get off of it as I was literally not sleeping at night and It was really starting to get to me. I've been taking Advil 2xs a day for pain and inflammation, which seems to be doing pretty well. I'm still struggling with getting more then 4 hours of sleep at a time, but at least I'm sleeping for 4hours. I'm also not using a pillow under my legs at night anymore, another milestone. Those awful leg hangs at PT really are helping me get my legs straight.
I can go up stairs really almost normal, coming down is still hard, but I'm working it! My left leg is usually more stiff then my right, so I've been trying to use it more as I come down the stairs like a big girl. It is getting easier.
I continue to work hard at PT and can really see results. I haven't used my cane in almost two weeks, and can walk really good. For the first time I walked in our orchard, which has really uneven ground, and I felt very strong. It was so great to be able to walk among the trees and not be in pain.
I find my self doing things without thinking, like turning quickly, or like @ljrfrm getting down to sit on the ground and then getting up fairly easily. I'm am pretty stiff at times, but I'm noticing that every day it gets better, except if I do way too much! Again my left is usually more stiff than my right. What I've found that helps, at least for me is taking a hot bath with Epson salts. That really helps loosen me up.
I continue to ride my stationary bike every day, and I've found I can work up quite a sweat! I was able to lower my bike seat one notch, so I'm getting closer to being able to ride my bike in Florida this winter!
All in all it's been an awesome week, and I am starting to feel like a normal person again, I'm almost walking my normal stride and can almost walk down our long steep driveway. I'm an outdoor person, and it's great to be able to walk again outside in the grass and around the farm.
Just for giggles today I tried getting up in my husbands tree stand, and I could do it! Very gingerly of course, but it was really freaking awesome! lol
I feel so blessed that my knees are bending so well and that I can walk without Arthritis pain, what a gift we have been given.
Again to all those who are coming behind us, take heart there is light at the end of the tunnel, it is hard work, but you can do it. I think of all the ups and downs that I've gone through, and the hard work stretching those knees, but I can see the results of it all and it is really grand.
Hang I there my surgery buddie, I can see you dancing too!
 
@Crow22 Hubby is driving now too! It is such a step in the right direction! Congrats!
He is also getting off the narcotics. Day 2 now, his sleeping has been really bad for 3 or 4 nights now. He is going to try to give Ambien a try and see if he can get his sleep a little more normal. You are doing great! Keep up the great work!
 
@Crow22 Wow, I'm so proud of you! I can't believe how great you sound!! It must be nice to be able to work outside and help and do so much. It's great that you are off the hydrocodone. I am unfortunately behind you in that aspect, as I'm still very stiff, achey and pretty uncomfortable without taking the meds. I am also still using my cane when I go out, as my legs get so stiff (and I have such a hard time straightening them - and walking well). I am starting back up at the gym on Saturday and I'm hoping that some water workouts will help me get past this stiffness and gain more ROM.

Keep up the great work - I'm so impressed with where you are and what you are doing! Hugs!!
 
Congratulations on driving. Don't you feel liberated?
 
@Crow22 Happy ten weeks to my BTKR sister.........I know you haven't been on here a lot lately, which means that you are out and about moving and dancing - yay you!!! Hope all is well!!!!!
 
@ljrfrm
We have just been very busy, as usual we try not to let too much grass grow under our feet!! lol My husband has been really sick with a very bad case of shingles, so I've had the opportunity to take care of him. (As much as he will let me!)
I've been healing up very nicely and can do more and more every week. I work my left knee, which is the stiffer one, more on the stairs and bending it whenever I can. I do believe it's helped as my ROM on it has gained every week, so I'm really happy with that.

I got measured today at p.t. and my extension is now normal Yea!! my ROM is really awesome and I'm so very happy for all those stretching exercises that I'm not too fond of but grunt through anyway. Left is 125, right is 131. I have to say doing my P.T. every day or almost every day has really paid off for me. It's hard and most of the time I want to just push it off, but I usually knuckle down and do them, and now I'm so glad that I do.
It been a beautiful fall here in the Finger Lakes of NY, and I have ventured out to do some very mild hiking. Nothing too strenuous, or steep, as going downhill still is hard, but it feels really good to be moving and not have arthritis pain.
I can do most all of my housework and help in our greenhouse. I've been doing another love of mine, and that is cooking. I can stand for very long periods of time, and move pretty good all around our kitchen. I've done some Reiki tx's and am ready to get back to work doing them.

Now sleeping, that's another ball game all together!! I still am having lots of trouble sleeping, and I'm really not sure why that is. I can lay comfortably and turn and lay on either side without any discomfort, so I know its not really from knee pain, and I don't have any leg cramps or pain. So I don't know, but I figure it will work its way out someday, just really is a big bummer!! lol

I go back to see my surgeon on Nov 4th, and am excited to see what he has to say about my recovery. One thing I do notice is that when I walk I do have a light thunking noise in both knees. Nothing sloppy, just a thunk, thunk, thunk when I walk. Pretty funny actually and I chalk it up to another of my Frankenstein moves. I am walking really well, no limp and I haven't used my cane in many weeks.

I do get stiff, but it's not really that bad, although today I am stiff in Lefty as I did some light weight work at p.t. today for the first time. But all in all I do pretty good with stiffness, no too much of an issue. When I do get stiff I rub my St. John's wort oil into the knees, and it really helps.

I'm off of the meds except 2 Advil in the morning, which makes me really happy.

Hope everyone is doing well and sending much healing light to everyone. @rosietosie I hope you are doing well and will check out your thread. @ljrfrm Keep up the good work and I know you are doing awesome there girlfriend. I will try to be more current, just lovin' being able to move and walk outside!
 
@Crow22 Hubby still is having sleeping issues too. He will have a night of not too bad, and then a few days of bad. I hope you both find relief soon! His right knee is still giving him some problems, I think he is exercising it a bit too much. The older knee is doing great. He gets the clunking noises once in a while, but since we started walking everyday the noises are starting to go away. You take care of yourself!
 
@Crow22 What great ROM - fantastic!! What stretches do you do each day at home? I feel like I need to do more - as I'm on a plateau at 114 and 108 and can't seem to progress. I haven't taken anything but Tylenol and Ibuprofen today and am pretty achey - so I think I still need the Tramadol for a bit longer.

How nice is that to get out to hike!! Great job!!! Maybe the thunking will keep those snakes away, LOL.
 
@Crow22 You are doing so well, so nice to hear positive things. The next thing to conquer is sleeping but I think we all seem to struggle with it for a while, I know I am still too and getting ready for round two, but congrats on your awesome recovery
 
Hey @ljrfrm The stretches that I dislike the most but work really well are the heel slides using a strap to pull that knee up. Another one is when I'm coming downstairs, I bend that knee that's stiff and hold for 10 secs. I do this all the way down the stairs and can feel the stretch. The others are laying on your stomach with the strap around your ankle and pulling that leg up behind you, bending those knees as much as you can. My p.t. person said that you should be able to reach a 6 on the pain scale, and then when you release, back to a 0 or one. I am also doing a stretch where I sit on my massage table, or you can use a chair and you tread the strap from your ankle, under the chair and up and over to your shoulder and pull! Works really well on bending. I keep the first few easy and work my way up to that 6, and when I release I'm back to no pain.
These work for me and I try to do them every day! Urggg I know, but I really think it helps tons. Also I ride my bike almost every day and have the seat now down to the last hole.
Hope this helps @ljrfrm honey. I also massage my knees a lot, esp when they get stiff. You are doing awesome and take heart, you will get there, I know you will.
p,s, I try to do as much walking as I can, as I think it really gets things un stiff! ( I think that's a word! ) lol
 
@Crow22 Thanks for the quick response!!! I will try your stretches tonight. I basically just do heel slides, so this will be nice to try more. I still go down the stairs like a little girl, one foot at a time. I can walk up no hands, no help like a big girl. But I don't have enough bend in my right leg to go down. I think it's time to work on that :) I am walking more now (did another mile today - took me 22 min, but I did it!) and will start to go regularly to the gym this week. Fingers crossed this all works!!
 
Wow @ljrfrm you go with your big girl bad self! lol Going down the stairs one step after the other is very intimating, but take it slow, and do only 2 or 3 steps at first. I think the main thing is to try to do it, and go from there. You know Rome wasn't built in a day, so I would say try it and bend that puppy as much as you can. You know you can always bend it more as you go, but I make it work, and I know you will too!
 
Thank you to @Crow22 and to @ljrfrm for your continuous updates on both your progresses (hope that's right english lol). I'm having a rtkr next wed and was starting to doubt I would be ready to go back to work within 2-3 months that my ortho said I would. But you have def given me hope that it is possible, so thanks. I have been very excited and positive up to today, think the nerves are starting!!! :unsure:
 
@newlife68 Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery!!! My ortho initially told me 3 weeks off from work (what?? he's nuts, LOL). I have to say that I was very worried I wouldn't be ready to return to work at 12 weeks........but, honestly - I think that I will be able to do it (although I might go Part Time). I do think 3 months is doable for you! It seems like a lot of us "turn the corner" around 10 weeks or so. It's a great goal to have. Wishing you the best!!!
 
Happy Saturday @ljrfrm and @newlife68. @ljrfrm is totally on in that we all seem to make this great leap forward at around 10 weeks. So take heart an know that you can do it too, it will take some hard work, but it's worth it when you are walking and forget that you had knee surgery, and wonder geezh why is my knee hurting!! lol A happy moment indeed! Good luck on Wednesday and the worst part is really all the anticipation, know you will be safe and all will go well. Keep us up on how you are doing too.
 
@Crow22 Hey surgery buddy! I hope all is well. My neighbor came over and brought me some essential oils. I think I remember that you've used them. She brought me doTerra Deep Blue, doTerra Peppermint, Lemon Grass and doTerra Cedarwood. I'm trying to do some research on them. Any advice?? She also brought me Lemon for my water.

Hope all is well and you're keeping busy while feeling good!!!!
 
Hi @ljrfrm I looked up Lemongrass, as I've only had it as a tea, which is really good. It's used topically for sores and insect bites. The tea is good if you are coming down with a cold, and for nausea. I'm not sure what deep blue is. Can you believe it's almost 12 weeks?? Wow where has the time gone?
I'm doing good, and happy to say that I am sleeping somewhat better! Yea. I can now get a straight 4 1/2 to 5 hours uninterrupted sleep most nights. Two nights ago I almost slept through the whole night without waking up and tossing!!! That is my biggest relief. Finally some improvement.
My knees are doing really awesome, and I've been able to do some hiking in the woods. I use the term hiking with a touch of sarcasm, as I walked very slowly and was watchful for vines that would trip me up, but it was fun to get back out into the woods again.
I'm off all pain medication, even the Advil. I'm stiff some days, but I find massaging and rubbing in my herbal oil really helps.
I continue to work on going down stairs and stretching my left knee. It is getting better, and sometimes I can even come down with no hands on the railing!!
I must confess that I don't ice very often and that is probably because it really makes me cold, and I'm feeling pretty good all in all.
I'll will write more later.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom