Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Crow22 Recovery Diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Crow22 Reiki......something else we have in common :)

Awesome you are getting around well enough for ice cream and music.......and on your cane!! Keep up the great work!
 
Good afternoon everyone. Wow I can't believe a month has gone by already. It's been hard at times, and I've had pain that has brought tears to my eyes, but there have been some really great leaps and bounds in my recovery that are just really awesome. Sometimes it's just the little things, like being able to swing those legs over the tub, or being able to raise your leg unaided to put on my socks! I feel so blessed to be able to walk without a limp and without arthritis pain, that in and of itself is a miracle. I can now walk unaided without my cane for short periods of time, like @ljrfrm I do have my Frankenstein moments, but they are getting less and less. I can feel myself getting stronger and stronger. Like many have said on here, it isn't a sprint, but a marathon. I look at myself as the Turtle, slow and steady!
PT: I get discharged from home PT on Friday, but my therapist is really pleased with my progress. We measured my ROM today and it was 110 in my right, and 108 - 110 in my left! yea!!! This was really sweet, as my left has been behind my right. I worked this weekend doing some gentle stretching and making my left leg work a little more. I changed how I'm doing my homework PT in that I'm walking more outside, and doing more stretching and mobility work, and then some strength work. All gentle, and striving not to overdue it. I can now walk up the stairs like a big girl, and am working on going down like a big girl too! Like @ljrfrm I have to keep reminding myself to keep my hips straight and not rock them. Phew... so much to think about! lol. I start outpatient PT next week.

Sleeping: The past two nights I've been waking up achy at about 2:30am, so I take a pain pill and usually go right back to sleep. I am very stiff in the morning, and have to take some time to stretch and work it out. But usually after that I'm good to go. Sleep does continue to be a challenge, in that trying to find that comfortable position sometimes is daunting.
Yesterday I had to go for my mammogram, and I felt pretty good in that I was able to walk into the building, stand in line, stand for the imaging machine, sit in the waiting room, and use the bathroom! After that my husband took me out to lunch, and I could sit comfortably in a booth for the first time since surgery. It was a big accomplishment, and I felt really good. I did ice when I got home and took it easy for the rest of the day. Tomorrow I go back for my check up to the OS. I'm hoping for another lunch out! lol
@tiredwife I love your new picture
Hope everyone is doing well.
@ljrfrm here's a toast to one month down and starting week 5! I'm so happy you are doing so well also and know you've been working hard. I hope you celebrated with that massage you've been wanting. I'm right there, right beside you as we continue this journey toward healing.
 
@Crow22 Thank you, people were wondering what I looked like, so I thought I would show them! We are doing good! Hubby started outpatient pt yesterday, and ROM on his new knee is right up there with his old knee. You seem to be doing good! If you are like my husband, any excuse to get out of the house. Have a great day!
 
@Crow22 What an awesome update - you've come so far. Your ROM is wonderful!! It sounds like you are doing a great job of stretching and working out the kinks. I need to start stretching and probably walking more than I am currently doing. You have inspired me :)
 
@tiredwife Yes, I love being outside. We have a small organic farm, so it's natural for me to be out working in the greenhouse or in one of the gardens. I haven't been able to do much with them yet but hope to be able to sometime soon. It's really up to the knees!! lol
Glad hubby is doing so well.
 
@ljrfrm awww You are so sweet. Hey that's what we are all here for to help eachother. It's really hard to get motivated sometimes, but I know if I do at least a little bit I will feel better, and the stretching really helps me when I'm tight, so I tend to do that a couple times a day, if only to get a little loose!
 
Yes, it's perfectly normal to be stiff in the morning and need to loosen up. You are doing great, though. :)
 
Happy 5 weeks @ljrfrm :cheers2: How are you doing? Had my first outpatient P.T today and it went really well. They are of our mindset and took things slow and gentle. I rode the exercise bike today and could go all the way around, a bit slow, but it was a really good feeling to actually do it.
I'm doing very good, and probably over did it this weekend, as I was really tight and stiff. I just had to can some home made tomato sauce from our garden. (Crazy I know!!) Feeling better this evening but will give myself some extra TLC!!
Sleep continues to be a challenge, and I know it probably will be for some time. I usually get about 4 hours before I have to get up, walk to the bathroom and then back to bed. I think that it's just that movement that helps work out some kinks so I can get back to sleeping.
All in all it's really been an awesome journey! I can see and feel improvement every day and even though I still have tightness and stiffness, I can walk without arthritis pain and I am taking joy in the little things. Hope everyone had a great weekend.
 
@Crow22 Congrats for making it all the way around on the bike. Celebrate each accomplishment. You are sounding very positive, and that is good.
 
@Crow22 Was just thinking about you on our 5 week "anniversary". I'm so glad you're doing well - isn't it so nice to be on this end of the process? I will post my update tomorrow.........I'm doing well. I have my ups and downs, as I'm just so tired of feeling stiff and achy......but then I realize how far I've come and feel better. Such a roller coaster ride! I am glad that I am not on this ride alone :)

Take care - and enjoy that homemade tomato sauce!!! Big congrats for your bike riding!!
 
Congrats on your 5 week anniversaries @ljmfrm and @Crow22 . You both are doing so well and are such inspirations to me on my own journey. I enjoy reading your updates. I'm starting to get a little stir crazy because i am feeling so much better. I want to do more, push myself more but I do know keeping steady course is best for now. Keep up the excellent progress. I can't believe you had the energy to do canning!! That is truly amazing!
 
Way to go @Crow22 :yay: It doesn't have to be fast--just getting those revolutions is good. You'll find it gradually gets easier.
 
Thanks @kneeper it's those small steps that keep us going.
@rosietosie so very glad you are feeling better. It does get easier, and at times a little more frustrating as you are feeling like, man I can do that, and that, and that. But there is a price that we pay for doing to much, so take those baby steps. I know, spoken like a true hypocrite! LOL I have to tell you though, I did have help canning, as my husband is really great, but I was really stiff the next day. I've always been really active, so this is another challenge for me on taking it easy, and I know it will pay off in the long run.
 
Happy Sunday everyone. Happy almost 6th week @ljrfrm Yea can you believe it's been almost 6 weeks. I can say on one hand that it has flown by, and on the other hand it's been a journey. One of everyday accomplishments and at times frustration to the point of tears. Some moments I wonder if I can continue to forge on, but most of the time I know I'm strong and doing really great.
P.T. I'm doing really well in outpatient P.T. and getting more flexibility, at least I think so. It's great in that they only measure our ROM once a week. So phew, no pressure to get more degrees every day. Just gentle healing strength and stretching. I took my therapist advice and got a stationary bike, and I ride it every day for about 7 mins! It's really awesome as it loosens me up. I'm proud that I can pedal forward, now mind you I'm not breaking any land speed records, but I'm doing it! I have the seat all the way up and my arches are on the pedals, so it's a little easier to make those rotations.
I still have to use my cane outside, as where we live is really either up or down, very hilly here. I can walk up to our greenhouse and check out our veggie plants. Yesterday when I walked up my right knee was like this beautiful miracle. It didn't hurt, no stiffness just like I remembered a normal knee to be, it was a great moment, and lasted for about 1 hour. Yeah, it gave me a little glimpse into what is a head of us @ljrfrm.
I'm weaning myself off the hydrocodone, taking a pill in the morning before pt, one before bed, and 1 usually sometime during the night. Yesterday was a special day and I didn't need anything until around 6pm. Just was feeling really good and truthfully kind of forgot about it.
Sleeping still presents it's hurdles, but I think I'm doing better. Some nights I can get a solid 4 to 4 1/2 hours of sleep before I wake up and have to get up to move those knees. I'm looking forward to the day when I can sleep maybe even 6 hours straight! lol
I can do the stairs like a big girl and I can even put my pants on like a big girl, one leg at a time! Man, that was an accomplishment to stand on one leg wiggle around with a bunch of material between your legs, then switch to the other leg, get out, right?!! LOL
I think someone posted on Bonesmart that at 6 weeks they started to feel more and more like themselves, and I do have to agree. Every day I feel more and more not like my old self, but a new and improved model! It's still very early and I do tend to overdo, but I think that the key is to be aware and when that stiffness starts to come on to sit down, legs up and relax.
@rosietosie I hope you are doing well, and know that every day you can laugh at some new antic that you've done, even if it's kicking your husbands socks out of the way. First time I did that I had a grand laugh, it was such a small thing, but such a big thing too.
Good healing to all my buddies here;
Suzie
 
  1. @Crow22 It makes me happy to hear such a great update from you. I think I'm coming along well also....although I'm still very stiff and sore at times (especially in the morning). I also biked forward all the way around the other day - was very happy. I am still concerned about my ROM and the stiffness, but I think it's normal. I will post my 6 week update tomorrow after I have my OS appointment. Keep up the great work!!!! Happy 6 weeks!!
ps No idea why it says number 1 up there.........as it won't let me take it away :)
 
Hey my surgery buddie @ljrfrm Happy 7 weeks tomorrow!!! :cheers:
How has your week been, I hope that you are feeling better and I'm glad that your OS has given you encouragement and let you know that yes, you are right where you need to be, and your are doing awesome!

Wow can you believe it's been almost 7 weeks? Well this past week has had its ups and downs as is normal. I've been really stiff at times, well especially when I tend to overdue it, but what I've found helps is to massage the area right around the top of my scar. It gets really stiff there but feels much better when I massage it.

P.T. Is going well, and they are adding different exercises to challenge me. I bought a stationary bike to ride at home and I've been riding it every day for about 10 minutes. I've found that when I'm stiff, riding the bike really helps limber me up, and I'm really starting to pedal like pretty crazy! lol

I've been able to ditch my cane for the most part, except for going up our stairs to the second floor, but I am really working on going up one leg at a time and coming down one leg at a time. It's tough at times but I really feel that by working esp my left knee it's helping me get more mobility in it. I have to really concentrate coming down on doing it right and alternating each knee.

Yesterday was really a huge milestone for me. My husband had bought tickets to a fund raiser that a friend of ours was putting on, and it included 2 bands. I walked from our car which was parked in a field to the venue which was in a barn. I walked up the stairs (no cane) and could walk around and sit without pain! Yea

The huge milestone for me was that I danced!!! Yes danced, well I shuffled from one foot to another, no John Travolta here, but I did indeed dance!! It was pure delight. I did walk back down the stairs and to our car, with no cane and no Frankenstein like moves.

Today I'm feeling really good, and was able to actually bake a pie from scratch!
I'm only taking the Norco maybe 2xs in a 24 hr period, and have supplemented with 600mg of Advil when I need it.

Sleep continues to be challenging, as I just don't get more than 3 to 4 hours of sleep before I wake up and have to move. It gets really frustrating at times as I really want to sleep!! Arg

I can feel that every day I get a little more mobility, and can do something better than I could than I could the week before. So although it's been really hard at times I can see that I am getting better and better.

To all those newbie Bilaterials, take heart, its a journey but you can do it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Crow22 You go, you dancing girl! Sounds like you are doing great. I am much more mobile also, and out and about more as well. I am not using my cane at all at home, but do take it when I go out as I feel like I need it as my legs get tired. I'll post my update tomorrow - just home from my sons soccer game and need to get dinner. It was a bit uncomfortable today on the bleachers - as they were pretty close together and it was hard to stretch out when needed. I still get very stiff each day - which is my biggest problem. It also impacts me at night sleeping, but I am luckily up to 5 hours or so before I wake up now.

Now, I wasn't much of a dancer before this surgery - wonder if now I'll be able to dance too? LOL. Glad you're doing so well!!!
 
@Crow22 Decided to stop by and check on you and what are you doing - DANCING! How great is that!
[Bonesmart.org] Crow22 Recovery Diary
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom