Countdown to my 2nd hip replacement - feeling fragile

Status
Not open for further replies.
@uktanny - I too have medication sensitivities and some less than glorious previous hospitalization experience. Thank you for sharing your story. Although it was many years ago now, I was miserable with nausea and vomiting post surgery before and needless to say that does not help with pain management, mobility, recovery. I understand your brain feeling like a sieve right now. Mine does too. I am finding notes I've written that have the same things on them to do or to ask because I forgot I already had a note about it. :scare:It will get better.

@Miss Muffet - Would you share your "talking with the anesthetist" list with me too, please? When you are up to it, of course. Thank you!
 
@uktanny I don't take books to the hospital anymore --usually too dopey to keep track of the story. I find magazines work well for me. Don't forget your contact lens solutions! A small notepad and pen helps me to remember what I want to ask folks midst the brain fog.
 
Hi @uktanny, I had my second 12 weeks ago and like you I was unable to walk any distance, never mind dance on the first. The relief was fantastic. Also like you I was in two minds this time because it was not as bad, but go for it. I did find a few nursing changes but it went well. It is true what everybody tells you here, every op is different.Bring a kindle loaded with your favourite books and authors,it's great to increase the font size when your eyes are a bit blurry with meds!!! The best of luck:dancy:
 
@Sommers16 I hope you have a better time of it this time! I see you're having the anterior approach. Lucky you! I wish you a speedy and as pain free recovery as possible:hugzz:
@Chihuahuan I know what you mean! I've had quite a few surgeries and I can never settle on anything for more than a few minutes. I normally love reading and you would think its the ideal time to read, but the reality is I never do read, maybe just as you say a magazine.

@mindy22 Hello over there in Ireland:loveshwr: how are you now you're 12 weeks on ? x
 
OK will be in touch via your inbox.
Don't forget to add your surgery date/details to your signature :friends:
 
Hu @uktanny, I'm doing ok. My hip is doing very well, back to the Physio on Thursday Its surprising how fast it went by. Better warn you though, remember when you had your first child, everyone made a huge fuss, then the next, ..oh." then the third, nobody notices, second hips are like that, nearly!!Never mind a visit, you get texts, or comments like," what another one"!!! You will need your e reader or kindle. Seriously though there is a slight problem in that everybody especially staff, think you know the whole drill now and leave you get on with it. It's surprising how you forget how to get up and down etc safely, By the way I have had the posterior both times, I'm now used to sleeping on my back, no problem. ( who said I snore???). :bath:
 
Sending good vibrations your way for an easier second surgery!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@Miss Muffet and @uktanny - would it be possible to share those lists with all of us here at this location? That's just the thing I could use to not only occupy my mind and time, but also to calm. The list of things you thought of to bring to the hospital - and the list of questions for any hospital staff. Sure would help. Thanks.
 
Oh my @mindy22 - you nailed it! I laughed out loud when I read your comments. Yes, it is exactly like having the 2nd/3rd baby. Oh, you don't get a shower or gifts or even a casserole. What another one? My hips were 13 weeks apart and my oldest son lives in another state so we don't see him often yet talk on the phone a few times a month. I told him at least 2-3 times about my 2nd hip surgery coming up on April 11th. I spoke with him last week (the 27th of April) and he asked me when my next THR was scheduled. I said, been there, done it. He was "surprised" and said, great, how was it. :sigh: Oh well. My other two kids live close by BUT they call and talk about 'themselves'. Hello? Since I really don't like to whine :bawl: and my husband takes orders and does what he has to do when told, I've made it almost three weeks out now with no problems but I know most of my friends and family have no clue that I've had two hips replaced. I think they wouldn't look twice if, years ago, I had said I delivered my babies out in the rice paddy. Number two THR didn't even warrant a 'get well card'. Enjoy the excuse to take a nap. --julie
 
I wouldn't recommend contact lenses. I would just stick to having your glasses, because if all goes well this time, you will be doing a lot of sleeping, and you don't want to fall asleep with lenses in, if you can avoid it. :-)
 
Re packing for hospital I also took ear plugs and eye mask, chewing gum and breath freshener, and wet wipes
 
would it be possible to share those lists with all of us here at this location?
Folks, could we please not inbox this type of information? It is valuable for everyone. If someone can post the list on this thread it would be great! Thanks!
 
@Jaycey - happy if this helps

You may well find that many of these questions will automatically be answered during the course of your preOp appointment, but I’ve included them all just as a trigger in case anything you want covered is overlooked. You may think of more .....

I printed these off and took a pen so I could make a note of the answers (we forget by the time we get home don’t we!)

Take all currently prescribed drugs and prescription with me
Include any vitamin or supplements (for the record)


a. Will I be offered any relaxation medication pre-Op?
b. Will I be given Anti-nausea medication?
c. Will I be fitted with a Catheter?
d. Will I be fitted with a Drain?
e. Will I be on Oxygen? [I had nose tubes which were removed after 24 hrs. I hardly noticed them]
f. Do I have to stop any medication in the days beforehand?
g. Can I have my iPod and headphones in the Operating Theatre? [I had spinal/sedation and wanted the comfort of prerecorded calming music. Frankly I don't even remember hearing it!].
h. Will I have Glue, stitches or staples?
i. Don’t want to see, hear or smell anything. If I come to will you be watching?
j. Will i have to wear TEDS - for how long?
k. Will i have to take Aspirin (or other blood thinners) - for how long?

2. APPROACH
Anterior, lateral or posterior?
Where does that mean my scar will be?

3. POST SURGERY
l. Tell me about pain management – including anti-nausea.
m. Do you supply Ice post-surgery in hospital?
n. Will I be given stool softeners?
o. What Restrictions will I have and for how long?
p. When will I be able to drive?
q. When will I be able to Shower and wash my hair?
r. Dental surgery – is there any reason to delay any checkups/dental work after surgery?


4. ITEMS LOANED - what can I borrow?
a. Loo raisers (x 2?) with bars?
b. Anything else? - eg leg lifter, grabbers?

WHAT TO TAKE TO HOSPITAL
Truth to say, very little!
Nightie, dressing gown, suitable shoes for walking in postOp for physio. Day clothes for leaving hospital - I wore the same there and back - wide leg track bottoms. Much easier to get on and off, a t-shirt and and a zip front top.
Wash kit
Hair kit
Phone, chargers, iPad, iPod
Book/magazine
I did also take salty crackers (to take before meds, settles the tum) and some small cans of Ginger Ale (good if you feel any nausea. I didn't experience any, and my 2 year old grandson drank the lot!)
Eye shades and ear plugs (helpful if you have difficulty sleeping)
Small notebook and pen
 
I have just had a nurse who works at Queen Alexandra hosptial tell my partner that she doubts very much that I will be able to have a PCA.
Tan my experience is that the nurse will really have no say in what is ordered for pain relief. This is up to your surgeon and anaesthetist. Please don't worry - you will have an opportunity to discuss all this in length with the anaesthetist prior to your surgery. Call your surgeon's office if you are worried.

And continue to be your own advocate about your pain management. When they ask what is your pain level 1-10 say 10! Take a list of the drugs that did not work for you or that made you sick with you to the hospital. Your anaesthetist will ask about this and you will have information at hand so you can have a good discussion.

You've got this my friend!
 
@Jaycey I have just rung the ward and spoke to a lovely nurse who said that they do occasionally have PCA on the ward. So am feeling a bit better, I know its up to the anaesthatist and so will just hope that he/she understands my fear of what happened last time and makes provision for a pca.

I dont remember them ever asking me about pain levels, I was incoherent that first night. Thanks @Jaycey
 
Aw Tan, it's just pre-op nerves. You are going to be fine! Take that list of drugs and have a good talk pre-op. Staff will be totally understanding. They want you to be comfortable. Tell everyone you meet you are very anxious about pain management.

Take care Tan - see you on the other side!
 
thanks @Jaycey I'm sure you're right! I have calmed down now, I will have a good talk to him tomorrow. I am very lucky that I have a partner and wonderful son who will help me on the other side :) I have been out for a walk and only managed 20 minutes and then had a weird spasm and was in so much pain and hobbling like an old lady! So feel very reassured that the time is right! Thanks for your support xxx I'll be back soon :martini:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom