Guest viewing is limited

THR Could be better, hope it's not worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookie42. I share your opinion of the book. Rarely give up on one, but I did this time. Totally horrendous people, both of them.
 
Hi Cookie - sorry I haven't been by. Been having too nice of a summer! (plus crazy busy at work). Anyway, sorry the second hip is more painful, but it sounds like you are getting it under control. Just remember it's not a race.... not even a race between your own hip recoveries.

So glad your dog reappeared!:puppysmooze: Our cats have given us a couple scares, but luckily our dog is a home body. Even if we accidentally leave the gate open, she just checks out the neighbor's yard and then comes right back. She's a rescue dog, so I figure she has no intention of being put back in a shelter.

Keep up the brownie and ice cream prescriptions ;)
 
Obie came from the pound as well, Nerdgirl, but he just likes everyone so darned much and is perfectly willing to get into a car with them. Personally I'd be a bit hesitant to invite a 95 pound dog into the car with me, but some folks are not shy like that! Of course our big worry is that a bad guy might pick him up and use him. We call him the Gentle Giant and it would do me in to think of his being mistreated.

I made a discovery this morning -- sleeping with the pain pills beside me and actually taking them in the night when I wake up (after checking the time) makes mornings much more pleasant. I was letting the pain get away from me overnight and not getting caught up during the day. Now I need to get my GP to give me another prescription. I'm not at all close to giving them up at a little over three weeks out. Hips are not at all alike -- I was through with narcotics by now with the left hip.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. It really does help.
 
I almost posted earlier this week about pain, misery and general malaise, but am now glad I didn't. My hip was hurting, I was vomiting or wanting to do so every morning, I was back on the walker, I had no appetite, fell asleep every half hour, etc. Yesterday may (and it may turn out to be may not) be a pain turning point. DH bribed me to get out by offering a bit of shopping and lunch out at one of my favorite places. I took one Percocet (the only one for the day) before leaving. Took the walker shopping and found nothing but some socks. Good for the purse, not so great for the psyche. Then lunch (using only my cane) where I could only eat a couple of bites of my favorite item. Boo. Came home and rested and the pain was better. Slept last night with no drugs at all and woke up with very little pain. I drove myself over to play with the grands only on the Cocktail and walking only with the cane. Only one nap, only one more round of the Cocktail and still feeling pretty good.

Mind you, I'm very aware this can all change again tomorrow, but right now I'm hopeful I can stay off the narcotics (the cause of the nausea and constant sleeping) and continue with pain the Cocktail can handle or need nothing at all. Things are looking good and just in time. Hubby is tired of tending to me and I'm tired of having to tell him when he leaves the computer chair in the middle of the floor, it's hard for me to maneuver around it. So I'm hoping for recovery before we do each other in. I know it's difficult for younger people to be left alone when spouses have to go back to work, but in some cases it's easier on marriages to have that bit of separate time!
 
but in some cases it's easier on marriages to have that bit of separate time!

Cookie42, truer words were never spoken. My hubby is a semi-invalid and requires a lot of attention. There are days I wish he would just go away!!! Or even better, I could take off for a week-end somewhere I could be waited on hand and foot. My sister in Georgia has this same problem---so we talk on the phone and commiserate and vent and both feel much better for it.
But he's a good man and would give anything to be able to do more---but being together all the time is a trial for both of us sometimes.

Sure glad things are beginning to look up for you. Hope it continues without to many bumps in the road.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Cookie and everyone, a pretty good book---J.K. Rowlings' The Cuckoos Calling. Published under pen name, Robert Galbraith, but it got good reviews and sold few copies. It will enrich some icing and elevating hours.
Wishing you a butterfly morning and a wildflower afternoon, as the song goes:
[Bonesmart.org] Could be better, hope it's not worse
 
sissy46, what a beautiful photo. I am assuming you took it? You are truly talented with the a camera :) hugs from down under x
 
That book has gone on my library list sissy46 and it's official, I want your camera (and your eye to go along with it!! (I think I'll throw in your ability to get around so easily while I'm wanting!)

bottomshollow I'm so sorry you're having to go through health problems with your husband. At least I can feel free to let it out on mine ever so often because he's in good health -- just being a jerk! Having someone like your sister -- and the bonesmart people -- to vent on does help.

To everyone else who has responded, thanks for the good wishes. I'm thinking all shall be well and I'm on the downhill slope now. I'm off to the library to pick up some books now. Driving again does give back so much independence.
 
Cookie42 I've just mostly caught up-- you're on the classic roller coaster, aren't you? I do hope that you have turned the pain corner-- I was still on narcotics until 4 weeks or more, so I'd say you're doing great! You should have seen my bedside arrangement-- I absolutely had to eat every time I took a percocet (or I'd "frup"), so I brought yogurt and almonds to bed every night, in the cooler that was also filled with extra ice packs. Hubby had to carry the thing for me it was so heavy! Also the water bottle, just in case (fat chance) I didn't have to pee when the alarm woke me for that early morning dose.
Man, this is bringing back memories that I'd quite forgotten! I really did hurt that bad that I needed all those drugs! It really was a grand production to get in and out of bed! That was all such a long time ago....haha, it really was! 12 1/2 weeks is a very long time! And, I didn't drive till after 5 weeks, and then only to the store and back-- I had no brains or judgement, probably from the leftover general anaesthesia and my compromised lungs not processing fast enough?

I'm sorry your hubby leaves the computer chair where you can trip over it. I told my family that I'd be pretty nasty if there was stuff in the middle of the floor, and proceeded to make good on my word. Don't know if it helped anybody, but they'd been forewarned!:heehee:
 
Cookie, good to hear you can get out and about by yourself. I hope the cocktail keeps working for you. :martini: I found that taking the "hard stuff" was easier on my head and stomach when I took it at bedtime and it probably helped alleviate the results of that pesky tendency to overdo when we feel better.

I think we can all relate with someone leaving something in the middle of the floor. When hubby's around and his slippers are where he took them off in the middle of the floor, he gets the evil eye and a slipper flying across the room from me! :no-fin:

Hope you had a wonderful day with the grands. I know that really cheers you up! Onward and upward! :cheers:
 
I'm 4 days ahead of you with a posterior and have had 3 BAAAADDDDDD episodes. The first one scared me; I considered napping on the toilet I was so sore and exhausted - the next day was great!!!! Second hit the wall day lasted two days, on the third I was out of bed and half way to the bathroom before I realized I had no cane or walker. Today is a good day after another 2 day crash - came up 3 stairs like a big girl!!!! Then the non operated hip reminded me that it is not 100%


I battle a kitchen chair and dog toys daily...at least the dog will come get his toy if I yell...at least someone listens around here!

Hope today is better for you!!!!!
 
Six weeks out and things are better. I can walk without my cane a lot of the time with very little to no pain, but mostly I still use it to avoid limping. There is still pain sometimes my groin and butt. Also down the front of my thigh if I stretch my leg back. I had an appointment with the OS today and he said the groin pain is probably caused by swelling and pressure due to the swelling. I had no idea my leg was swollen -- they're so danged fat I couldn't tell. So he gave me a prescription for prednisone -- supposed to start off with 6 pills, then 5, then 4, etc until they're gone. My husband had the same script a month ago for something (I don't remember what -- was too busy feeling sorry for myself -- very bad wife.) It caused him to have multi breakouts of staph infections. Since we've both had bad staph infections in the past, that scares me. Reading the warnings scared me even worse --says may be bad if (among many other things) one has low thyroid and diabetes. I have both. So it appears I have choices. Take my chances with the steroid or keep hurting or try icing again. So I'm sitting with the large ice pack on my leg again. Since it's really hot today, it feels pretty good. Oliver, my main lap cat, is peeved however. He does not care for the ice pack and is sulking by laying on the coffee table, looking out of sorts. He would prefer I take the pills.

I'm to go back in a month to see the doc again. He must be a bit concerned as I only had a 10 day and a 2 month appointment total last round. So I'm feeling cared for and not ignored which is a good thing. Even DH (which does not always stand for Dear Husband!) is not on me to be doing more than I feel I can do. All is good right now and all shall be well.
 
Cookie, I have never had to have steroids for anything, thank goodness, but I do know they can be a double-edged sword. The bad stories scare me...I've always felt I would steer clear unless it was absolutely necessary to take them. So I'd be asking the doc....what if I just give it more time for the swelling to go down by itself? Did the doctor feel that this is the only way to deal with the swelling? Are you willing to give it more time?

Let's get Jo's medical opinion on this. You need as much information as you can get to make your most informed decision. Josephine

Sharon
 
Cookie, I totally agree with Sharon. I would not take prednisone for swelling at 6 weeks post-op, especially as you're walking with little or no pain. I'd sure give it a little more time.
Ollie can put up with your cool lap for a bit longer.
 
Six weeks out and things are better. I can walk without my cane a lot of the time with very little to no pain, but mostly I still use it to avoid limping.​
Wow Cookie42, I was just coming off the walker at 6 weeks...so you sound like you are doing very well. Seems like the swelling just goes with the territory. I would not like to try steroids if I didn't have to. Keep up with the ice and elevating the leg..
I'm with you also on Gone Girl...I was told it was teriffic...I could not get into it...Books have to grab me right away or I can't go on....Over the summer I have read Adriana Trigiani...she is a very lite read..enjoyable...I just finished "The Son" by Philipp Meyer....Saw it reviewed on one of the morning talk shows and I did enjoy it very much. And it was suggested that I try Philippa Gregory's Cousin's War series...it centers around the fight for the throne of England...I like a little bit of eveything and I am always looking for a new author to try.
Take care.
Annie
 
Cookie42 Sorry for your trouble. Hopefully this will pass soon and the swelling will go down. Knowing myself, I will probably freak at everything that seems slightly "off" or not "normal" -- that is if I EVER get these surgeries over with. My ex-husband was on prednisone with Bell's palsy, and again after his horrible car crash for internal swelling around damaged vertebra. He did not like the effect it had on him (and neither did I -- it seemed to make him even crabbier). And it made him ravenously hungry, which was a BIG problem because he was a non-compliant diabetic. But that was just him -- I understand it affects everyone differently and depends on the individual person, and dosage and the length of treatment. For myself, I would be reluctant to take it, unless it was REALLY medically necessary, but I would take it if necessary. A woman at my church had near miraculous results from it.

I know you've had both hips done now -- did you have trouble recovering from the first because the second was still bad?? I have one REALLY bad hip and one HORRIBLE one. The horrible one is going to be fixed first. I still have six weeks to go before that (Sept. 30). Was it hard to do anything with the first one because the other one was still bad? My knees are also bothering now, and my surgeon says wait until we get the hips fixed to even THINK about the knees, and that a lot of people find their knees improve substantially after the hips are fixed. DId you have any trouble with your knees?

Peace and love to you, and prayers for continued recovery.

PS: Have you eaten all your soup?
 
I agree with Sharon and others - I would never take that either. But are you taking pain pills? If so what, how much and how often?

I also have a suggestion that you could try some of this. It is a herbal remedy and appears to be very good for this kind of pain. You can also use it as often as you like. I suggest you try the roll-on.
 
I've been taking the pain cocktail, Josephine . At times it works and others times does not seem to. The pain travels from groin to butt to the back of my thigh and knee (the latter is new so I keep thinking I must have done something to cause it). Sometimes it's bad and sometimes pretty much gone, and this is regardless of when I've taken the Tylenol and IB. I do wish I'd read what you all said a bit sooner because I gave in and took the methylprednisolone tablets today. The doc said if it were going to work, I would see improvement in a couple of days. If no result, I'll call him and see what to do about stopping. The pack I have is only for 6 days.

Butterfly my second hip didn't really hurt much during the day, so didn't hurt recovery. It mainly ached all night. I'm really, really hoping the pain in my knee is from the surgery because I don't intend to ever have any more operations! And no, the soup is not all gone. My appetite was so poor I kept trying different things to perk it up. The soup will be very welcome this winter, so won't go to waste.

anniemg I read several of Adriana Trigiani's books. I think they were her first ones -- sort of a series. I really liked them. One thing I read lately which surprised me with how much I liked it was The Cowboy and the Cossack by Clair Huffaker. A bunch of Montana cowboys in the late 1800's accompany a large herd to cattle to Russia where a town has gone together to buy the herd. They're greeted by Cossacks (dressed in wonderful uniforms) who are to get the men and cattle safely to their destination.

Thanks, everyone, for your concern and answering. Since I was dumb enough to start the pills without checking this forum first, I'll ride it out unless something bad happens. But I'll hope for the good results the doctor seemed to think would come. Had I known prednisone was what he was prescribing, I certainly would have questioned him more and seen if there was not something else he recommended! In the mean time, ice and elevation will accompany the pills. Oh dear, I just reread responses and saw the one about making the husband more crabby. I sure hope that doesn't happen to me -- I'm plenty crabby without any help.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom