Guest viewing is limited

THR Could be better, hope it's not worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my first hip replaced last Monday, 1 week ago today. This may be a REALLY dumb question, but I am going to ask it anyway. Did you still have substantial pain in the operated hip one week out from surgery?
Hi Butterfly....I went back to work 9 weeks after surgery for the first hip and still found my right side to be very tender. That tenderness kept up until very recently.
I also had difficulty getting in & out of bed. I cut a trash bag in half and put it under my rear to make it easier sliding across the bed. That way I wasn't causing any friction near the incision area. I also put a trash bag under me inside the car. Made it easier to pivot around going to & from drs. appointments.
Annie
 
A little over 4 months out and I still cannot do the leg lift with my right leg without pain. Nor can I do a forward high kick without bad pain. According to Josephine's chart, it's in the E R3F area -- right where my leg attaches to my body. Understand I do not plan to try out for the Rockettes or become a soccer star any time soon and the pain does not affect my everyday life.

I don't really need to do a leg left or kick straight out and my life is good. I can get on the floor to play with the kids -- just can't stay there too long without some discomfort. I can climb into my high bed with the help of a stool or no help if I'm very careful. Meloxicam is still a part of my routine because of what the OS told me was inflamation -- and will be until after Thanksgiving when I plan to make a go without it -- after all company has gone home. I really would like to not be on this drug any longer than necessary.

My main reason for posting is to find out what could be causing this groin pain, what I should do about it, if it's something which should be tended to or whether I should just be so very thankful I can do most of what I want to do with no pain and forget it! I see people walking with bad limps and obviously in pain and remind myself at my age I'm so very lucky to have as few limitations as I have.

BTW, the cats, Oliver and Nigel, are doing fine. In spite of an upper respritory infection, Nigel has managed to go from his adoption weight of 7 pounds to 11 pounds and is a real chub. Oliver is staying the same weight, so it cannot be the food, but just his urge to eat too much of it. I guess he takes after me too much.
 
You know, it's not that unusual to still have some discomfort at four months out. You're calling this "bad pain" though. Can you describe that a little more? Is it aching, burning, sharp, dull, stabbing, etc? Are you icing ever? If so, how long and how often? What's your activity level like in terms of work (in or out of the home), exercise, recreation, PT?
 
I know at 4 months some discomfort is nothing to worry about. But this pain is sharp, stabbing. It is not there when doing my regular life. I babysit for a 2 1/2 year old and a 4 1/2 year old and we play on the floor, upstairs and down, the little one gets horsey rides on my foot. All that without this pain appearing. It just hurts when trying to do the leg lift or a straight forward kick -- hurts enough with those movements that I just don't do them!

I haven't iced for months. When I did it was on the outer part of my thigh or around the incision -- neither of which give me any real problems any more -- some occasional discomfort, sure, but not a problem. I can do my house work, play outside in the leaves with the Smalls and all is fine. Most of the time I'm not very physically active, but when I am, there does not seem to be a problem. This is why I question if I should be concerned about this pain -- it does not interfere with my regular life and I know (and am grateful) I have much less pain every day that so many people my age. However it if might limit me later on and I ignored it now, I would be full of regret. No physical therapy -- just going about living.
 
Hi Cookie42 I am so sorry that you are having some issues. It sounds like you are active with your little ones with no problem. Are you trying to do straight leg lifts for therapeutic reasons? I don't know, but generally if it hurts, I don't do it. Keep us posted!
 
Take a look at this thread and see if it rings any bells for you:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/iliopsoas-syndrome.9104/
If that looks familiar, I would try the stretches shown there. It's just the first two images. The strengthening exercises might be okay but I would try stretching first. If the stretches are difficult or painful, let me know and I'll find you something else. I think you might get some benefit from icing that sore spot too.

Incidentally, I don't think this is a huge problem. It sounds like you are doing great otherwise. This is one of those soft-tissue things that may become chronic, so it's good to nip it in the bud.
 
I forgot to mention the pain is when I'm lowering the leg, not lifting it. Not sure if that makes any difference or not, but thought I should say.

Shadow09 that's pretty much my way of action as well! Neither of those movements are something I ordinarily do. That's why I'm not sure if it's something I should worry about or if like alexthecat said, it needs to be nipped in the bud. Since it does not hurt when lifting the leg, I'm not sure if this is the same thing in the article Alex had me read. I guess the stretching will not hurt anyway. Thanks for the responses and the help.
 
I'd still recommend giving the stretches a try. Just a few minutes per day, after you get out of the shower or tub and you're still warm. The thing about nipping it in the bud is that groin pain can become back pain and then it all gets a lot more complicated.
 
Cookie, do you care to share the story behind those forward high kicks?

Oh, and tell Nigel to lay off the turkey and dressing tomorrow---four pounds he's gained! He must be very contented in your home and on your lap.

Happy Thanksgiving, my friend!
 
sissy46 I just wanted to see if I could. I couldn't!

Nigel's favorite spot with me is between my hinny and the arm of the chair. Luckily we're both squishy, so he still fits.

BTW, no touching my nose with my toes after the last operation, but the left leg is still flexible and I haven't given up on the right one yet.

Off to do the stretches recommended by alexthecat.
 
Cookie! I was putting my shoes on, and for some reason I thought of you and I tried to touch my toe to my forehead---and oh my gosh, I can do it! I guess I never tried before! Now a question: do you have to pull your foot the last couple of inches, or can you do it with no assist? I can't quite make it, without using my hand. The good news is, I can do it on both sides and still manage to walk without pain afterwards.

How do you feel after your Black Friday shopping? I went kayaking instead, and saw a big black bear up a tree. Thrilling!
 
Yes, indeed, I use an assist! Just this morning I was thinking I need to take a yoga class to improve my free range of motion. The right side is still not co-operating with nearly anything I would like it to do.

I would much rather have seen a black bear (or an otter or deer or wild turkey or anything other than thousands of people) on Black Friday. One of my biggest mistakes to go out on that day. Too soon old, too late smart is the story of my life!!
 
Cookie42 You REALLY went out yesterday? WOW, very brave! Was it as crazy as I've seen on the news? Actual fights breaking out, etc? Glad you survived it.

I've decided a LOT of the people in this country have taken leave of their senses -- not you, I mean the people actually FIGHTING (I read of at least one shot being fired) over a TV or such. YIKES!

Peace and love to you.
 
On Thanksgiving day, our son called, reporting he was sick and could not make the 13 hour drive. That meant no family (including two grandsons) would be coming from Texas for a visit over the holiday. We'd already planned the big dinner on Saturday to accommodate everyone, so I decided I could either go shopping on Friday or sit around feeling sorry for myself. I guess I was too upset to realize what day it was! Lordy, what a mess. One store was so loud from all the people there it made my head hurt. another was so crowded I couldn't get inside. No shots were fired, however. At least if there were, there was too much noise for me to hear them!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Could be better, hope it's not worse
Understand the let down feeling even when things can't be helped. My grandson and his wife have separated, one son and daughter couldn't get transportation to our house (and we no longer run a taxi service for them); did have our oldest son and his wife---but lots of leftovers :groan:. And I wouldn't have been brave enough to go to any retail store on Thursday or Friday. I don't shop anymore---we'll just give money to the grown ups and get a little something for the two one year olds.

Take care, keep us posted, we care.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom