Guest viewing is limited

THR Could be better, hope it's not worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Nigel and Ollie,
Please tell Cookie it is time for an update! and I hope you two boys are behaving yourselves and not landing with too hard a plop on her lap.
 
I'm afraid my report is pretty much like something from Debbie Downer, so it seems best to keep it to myself! I expected this recovery to be different from the other, but was hoping for a more positive different. I'm using the cane more than the walker, so I guess that's progress, but this mean leg hurts. The Percocet eases the pain, but does not eliminate it. I'm trying the pain cocktail every other time instead of the narcotic, but that seems to do very little. Last time, I was off the hard stuff by now so this is indeed different. I was driving by now last time and there is no way I would trust myself on the road now -- way too many nap attacks and I think napping while driving is frowned upon. Slept in my bed one time and the next morning my back hurt more than my leg, so it's back to the recliner.

I feel pretty much like a slug and to top it all off, one of our dogs has been missing for two days, so that doesn't help with the mental attitude. At least I can concentrate enough to read now, so that's a positive thing. I need to find a really good, really funny book. The cats are doing their best to entertain me by wrestling around. I just need to keep telling myself All Shall be Well.

And get off my hind end and walk around the house more.
 
I'm using the cane more than the walker, so I guess that's progress,​
Cookie42, I didn't progress to the cane for 5 weeks so I think you are doiing swell.
It is very early on and may be too soon to switch to the pain cocktail.
Give in to all those naps....and ice...ice....ice!!!! Take care.
 
Cookie42. So sorry about the missing dog. The stress of that alone could make you feel miserable.
If your leg hurts when you are using the cane, should you use the walker more? I used a cane early but it never hurt my leg-did cause increasing pain in should, arm, hand and good hip. You are only a few weeks out, so maybe less cane, more meds?
Hope your dog returns soon.
 
I've enjoyed reading your journey and hope you continue to improve

Oh and it must be very frustrating not being able to go and help find your dog

I hope he comes back soon :puppysmooze:
 
Cookie, if the Percocet eases the pain but doesn't eliminate it, maybe you shouldn't be cutting back to the pain cocktail just yet.
I'm so sorry your dog is missing. That probably makes everything seem worse.
Please don't hesitate to call your OS if you're having more pain than seems reasonable.
Sending positive thoughts your way....
 
What a difference a day makes! I hit the meds and the ice hard yesterday and last night I slept in bed. My back didn't hurt this morning. And my hip hurt much less than yesterday. Today it's more of an extremely sore muscle hurt, mostly in my rear end. Anyway I felt good enough this afternoon to prepare one of my favorite recovery foods -- brownies -- and while I was in the kitchen I looked up and standing at the back door was a large white dog. He's looking pretty skinny, but otherwise no worse for the wear. All in all, this is an excellent day and indeed All is Well! Thanks everyone for the good wishes. It really does help, knowing others are rooting for one.
 
Cookie42 glad all went well with your op and it sounds as if your healing well. I have three cats and made the mistake of giving them too much catnip the other night. They went absolutely crazy then zonked out on the rug as if they were re-enacting a scene from Easy Rider :shocked: I must make sure they don't have any when I get my hip done. Much love from across the pond from a fellow cat lover :kittykiss:
 
Great! Dog back home, less pain, slept in bed, and brownies. Now throw some vanilla ice cream on a brownie and you can call it a perfect day!
PS---take your pain pills anyway:SUNsmile:
 
Cookie, what a ride you've been on. Sorry I missed your re-emergence to the post-op side. I'm glad the pain is starting to subside, but don't let it fool you. You're doing the comparison thing too. Funny (well not funny ha-ha) that we can't even compare both sides of our bodies with the recovery process. Glad to hear you are transitioning, but you know the drill there too. Test your boundaries (and retreat if necessary), then move on. You're a veteran at the back and forth shuffle (like the rest of us as well). :egypdance:

With the bed thing, remember you're probably still sleeping on the same side of the bed you were last time, so the in and out is a bit different. Hopefully it will be a distant memory very soon!


I am so glad to year your fluffy buddy found his way back home again. I know you are relieved too! Maybe now the cats will behave knowing the dog will set them straight. :puppysmooze: :kittykiss:

Sissy proved to have the best advice. Take your meds with Haagen Dazs. Unfortunately for me I'm still paying the price for that one! Onward and upward, Warrior!
 
Cookie, Suva... glad your puppy came home and I am sorry I have not been around for your second surgery. Each surgery is different and soon you will be touching your toes to your nose. :) :)
 
Glad to hear everything is going so well!!!!
 
bellaroma I tried -- very gently -- to see how close I could get my toe to my nose and there is a long way to go. It will get there eventually, I'm certain. It will be one of my goals and I will post when it's accomplished.

Recovery is expensive. My 2 year old granddaughter really needs (according to me) a baby doll for Christmas. I want to get her a soft one who doesn't do anything but be available for loves and look like a baby. I have spent a lot of time shopping online for this doll and I think have found one after eliminating the at least 80% of baby dolls who look freaky in some manner -- huge scary eyes or pointy heads or other deformities -- and those who cost almost as much as a real baby. Now I realize the new "baby" will need a Moses basket and other accessories. Of course her 4 year old brother will need something equal in price. And the 9 and 10 year old grandsons will as well. Rats. For a grandma, buying a doll is so much more fun than buying robots or video games or weapons.

Today was a pretty good day. I've taken my meds regularly, I have taken naps several times and I am doing my prescribed exercises. I hurt moderately, but nothing which has brought me to tears. I know I do need to walk more, but living on gravel roads makes walking difficult for the impaired and going in circles around the house is pretty boring. I did get on the exercise bike and found I can pedal clear around with no pain, so maybe that will be part of the answer -- of course with throwing in a few rounds of my circle walking for weight bearing. Or maybe my frequent bathroom trips will take care of that.

It's now late and after a hard day of shopping and napping, I'm off to bed.
 
Cookie42 I am glad to hear you are doing well. It gives me hope. I still have almost two months to wait and I'm very tired of it. I tried to do too much today (for me, now, too much is almost nothing at all) and now my left hip is screeching at me. I'm getting so tired of this and life seems pretty grim right now. I don't know if there is a pre-op energy drain, but I sure seem to have it. I wish my mom was here to make me some soup and tell me it would all be OK.

Maybe tomorrow I'll see if I can manage to make some chicken soup. Good for the soul, as they say.

Peace and love to you.
 
Cookie, I'm so happy everything seems to be going so well now. You'll be a broke grandma at the end of all this shopping, but no longer a broken one, and I can just imagine Christmas at your house when both sad hips are a distant memory and your new ones feel like good old friends.
Butterfly, waiting is the hardest part. I'm sorry you have such a long wait---and a member since May 29, you've already been waiting a while.
 
Cookie42 Just caught up with your thread and am very happy your pooch has returned. Glad you are having fun buying gifts for the grands. You may be broke but it's fun, I hear. (No grands for me yet - sigh.)
 
Today is my three week anniversary. I really don't remember this much pain at three weeks out with the first hip, but then I don't remember much without looking back at my original thread. I thought I was walking without my cane at this stage, but I wasn't, so I guess I'm about where I was with #1. Today was pretty good. We went to my daughter's house and I got to be with the little grandkids for a while -- that's a real morale booster. Plus I found I can hold two smalls on my lap with no pain.

Then to my book discussion group. The leader said had they known I was having surgery they would have been over to cook and clean for me. hahaha. I told her it wasn't too late for either. The book being discussed was Gone Girl which I highly recommend if you like books about people who are all totally unlikable and beyond redemption. Not my cup of tea.

Last, and most important, to the grocery store where I got some of the food I like to fix (instead of burgers and hot dogs). DH will still have to do most of the work, but I shall be at his side, coaching (or bossing as he puts it.) There is steak, stroganoff and Asian chicken in our future.

I have only had one nap today which is a drastic change from the past week when I have been having from three to six good long dozes! Am still taking too many narcotics to suit me, but the leg demands them and I won't argue. All in all, things are doing pretty good -- not quite as good as I wished, but not bad at all.
 
Cookie, Gone Girl was not my favorite book either. I appreciated the author's ability to engage me as a reader and keep the twists and turns coming, and I don't require a happy ending to every story, but this was an appalling bunch of characters and situations.

I hear you on the grand-girls and dolls, although yesterday my 5 year old granddaughter picked out a Hot Wheels track and a bunch of cars. Once upon a time my sons would play with Hot Wheels and the object was to crash and burn. Paige played car wash instead.....boy and girl play is definitely different.

Glad to hear you're coming along. Don't fight the narcotics....they have their place and they will get you through this.

Sharon
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom