I'm sorry my post alarmed you. That certainly wasn't my intent. Our recommendation of at least 150 knee replacments isn't a strict number, it's just a guideline we advise people to go by. There are good surgeons with lower volumes. After all, doctors have to start somewhere.
But, in looking at Dr. Louie's information online, I see that he indicates the following specialties: Foot surgery, Knee replacement, Limb length discrepancies, Limb preservation/salvage, Meniscus allograft, Meniscus repair, Osteomyelitis, Reconstructive surgery, Rotator cuff repair. This is quite a spread within the orthopedic field so I think it would be good to find out from him exactly how many knee replacements he does do each year. "Medium volume" doesn't tell me much about his expertise.
Did you check these surgeons for appointments?
broken link removed: https://orthosurgery.ucsf.edu/about/faculty/erik-hansen.html
Assistant Professor
Arthritis & Joint Replacement
1500 Owens Street
San Francisco, CA 94158
415-353-2808
Dr. James Hartford
or
Dr. Johhn Lannin
Sutter Health
Palo Alto Center
795 El Camino Real Lee Building, Level 3
Palo Alto, CA 94301
650-853-2951
Dr. Bradley Graw
Palo Alto Medical Foundation
795 El Camino Real Bldg Lee
Palo Alto, CA 94301
650-933-5074
Dr. James Huddleston
Stanford Medical Outpatient Center
Redwood City, CA
Hip and knee revisions
Speaker at 2018 ICJR workshop on problem hips and knees
I'm not trying to second guess your choice of surgeon.....just making sure you've checked all the options available to you.