• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Continuing Medical Trauma

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
United States United States
Fifty to 60 would be a good number for revisions.

OP
OP
Lerwick8

Lerwick8

Country
@Jamie

Dr. Louie is a medium volume surgeon, according to the Medicare records from 2009-2013. I can ask his office; however, he has a high success rate and a low rate of complications.

Your strict 150+ requisite got me anxious enough to stay up all night looking for another surgeon with your requisite number. Again, the two main ones, Cox and Callendar, are in Mayle's practice, so that really is a no go. The other surgeon is at UCSF, but cannot even see me for a consultation until October (I honestly cannot wait that long!). I already saw a high volume surgeon at St. Mary's, but I did care for him at all.

So freaked out now!!!

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
I'm sorry my post alarmed you. That certainly wasn't my intent. Our recommendation of at least 150 knee replacments isn't a strict number, it's just a guideline we advise people to go by. There are good surgeons with lower volumes. After all, doctors have to start somewhere.

But, in looking at Dr. Louie's information online, I see that he indicates the following specialties: Foot surgery, Knee replacement, Limb length discrepancies, Limb preservation/salvage, Meniscus allograft, Meniscus repair, Osteomyelitis, Reconstructive surgery, Rotator cuff repair. This is quite a spread within the orthopedic field so I think it would be good to find out from him exactly how many knee replacements he does do each year. "Medium volume" doesn't tell me much about his expertise.

Did you check these surgeons for appointments?

Erik Hansen, MD
Assistant Professor
Arthritis & Joint Replacement
1500 Owens Street
San Francisco, CA 94158
415-353-2808

Dr. James Hartford
or Dr. Johhn Lannin
Sutter Health
Palo Alto Center
795 El Camino Real Lee Building, Level 3
Palo Alto, CA 94301
650-853-2951

Dr. Bradley Graw
Palo Alto Medical Foundation
795 El Camino Real Bldg Lee
Palo Alto, CA 94301
650-933-5074

Dr. James Huddleston
Stanford Medical Outpatient Center
Redwood City, CA
Hip and knee revisions
Speaker at 2018 ICJR workshop on problem hips and knees

I'm not trying to second guess your choice of surgeon.....just making sure you've checked all the options available to you.

Irish471

senior
Country
@Lerwick8 , I am down here in San Jose and I had a Stanford surgeon do my tkr. He only does replacements. If you're interested in looking at other surgeons, he is great and has a wonderful PA. He, too, is listed in the Bonesmart Surgeon locator.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Ciscokid68
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom