THR Constanze's recovery diary

Hi @Constanze
Take it easy tomorrow. I bet you will be exhausted how ever much/little you do. It is such a step in the right direction towards normality! x
 
All the best Constanze take it easy and take each day as it comes.

Billy
 
Good luck for work today @Constanze! Probably the worst thing will be prolonged sitting - I am still avoiding too long at the desk as it can hurt when I eventually move. Can you move about translating? Sounds so glamorous!
:cool:
 
Good luck ah but can you translate Leginese?

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Back to work and - 6-week update
Hi all you bonesmart friends, yesterday was my first day at work after my hip surgery. Got up at 5:30 and drove to work to Langen. At the moment, there is not much going on. I did a small translation into English though. A colleage made a remark which translates into English more or less like this: "You haven't really come back to work yet, have you. You're just coming round for a quick little visit. I told him I did go back to work.

I also had to do some bureaucracy. We have electgronic time Management and we clock in and out. When I looked at the machine while clocking in a found I had about 30 hours minus. I had to phone up and get another certification from my hospital to say that I was an in-patient from 20-27 April . They required this in the personnel unit so they could correct my time record.

But physically I was ok. No tiredness, no stiffness. I shouldn't complain actually. Now for something positive:

My bike is like a friend: On my second day, I decided to go to work by bike. On my first I went by car (I wore some formal trousers because I wanted to look smart). But today I wore something casual and went by bike. There is a short-cut to work which is only 21 Km. It goes over the Main river, past Frankfurt Airport and then through a forest. The cycling was smooth and my hip felt much stronger than I did last summer when I had arthritis. So I've joined the "bike-and-business" programme. I will go by bike on some days and on others I'll go by car - depends how I feel. It's nice to do sport not on a competitive basis but for fun. The weather is fine and it's warm here. Best wishes to everybody.

Thanks to you for all the good wishes. And @Legin, yes I probably would be able to translate Leginese - I'm bonkers - have heard this helps you learn languages. But let's be serious again - best wishes to you all. Constanze
Constanze
 
Chortle, your hired anyone not understand me and the cry will be Constanze. That will save the thumbs.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @Constanze
Good to hear your progress back at work. I bet you will feel tired at the weekend though. It is good that you can compare yourself now with how you were this time last - it must make it all worthwhile. I am enjoying feeling all the positive developments but every now and then I get a twinge or little pain and being a hypochondriac I think "has my hip come loose" or "have i got an infection" but really all is well.

hope things continue so well for you
Karen x
 
After my 1st week back at work

Hi everybody. My first week at work is over and went ok. It was even sort of phased in slowly :) as it were - only a four-day week because Thursday was a holiday in Germany. So on Friday there wasn't much going on either. Many people took the day off on Friday.

I cycled to work on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. Wanted to make use of the fine weather (32°C on Friday).

After rehab, it's normal to schedule another 6 sessions of physiotherapy which my surgeon prescribed. Had 3 and I will have 3 more next week. This is so late. It's so late because there are no appointments available earlier. My goodness. By that time I will have fully recovered without physiotherapy. Got to go though because they've been scheduled and if you don't go and don't cancel them either you have to pay a penalty. I do a lot of normal exercise/physical activies, besides cycling, I go swimming. Then I also cook meals, walk up and down our stairs in our house a lot because I Need to fetch something, weeding in the garden, cleaning my fishtank ...
I needn't see my surgeon for a follow-up checkup until 12 weeks out. I'm happy :).
I wish you all the best - Constanze
 
You are doing so well Constanze! Congratulations on your positive approach, your work ethic and your resulting fitness .
Do you have a race goal scheduled in the future?
Diane
 
Great news @Constanze - I think you have it all well covered - feeling pretty normal these days myself, well - better than normal when I walk especially - we are lucky 'girls'!!! :)
 
Constanze - haven't been on it a bit....sounds like you are doing wonderfully!
 
@isolde, @copsham , @Legin , @Great Aunt Janet , @Granny Di , @mydog and anyone else who I may have forgotten: Thank you for the encouragement and the good wishes.

@Granny Di , actually I have no race planned for 2015. I was running a lot pre-op (e.g. marathons, tri-athlons) and at the moment I'm just practicing cycling and swimming. I'd like to let my hip heal more and maybe try running again next year. Unlike the other surgeons I saw pre-op, the surgeon who performed my surgery never "pronounced a life-long ban on running" for me - but then again, I didn't ask. I've actually got the kind of device that's supposted to be suitable for very active and athletic people - ceramic lining and ball.

At the moment, I'm just enrolled in a sort of bike-and-business programme that rewards people who cycle to work. That's quite distance for me. When I cycle to work, it's more than 40 km on one day. I also like to do open water swimming again - there is a lake near work, where the so-called swim-nights take place. A club - sponsored by companies - organise a swimming round across the lake 800 m or 1.5 km - and there is music. The atmosphere is fun. It takes place every Thursday from 7:00 p.m. from May to August. You can rent a wet suit if you haven't got one. Bankers go there in their suits and then change into their wetsuit :). I'd like to register and go to that again.

Now Ironman I couldn't do - I cycled too slowly. But a good colleague from work, friend and fellow athlete, who also had a hip replacement this year suggested that I could do a half-Ironman. There is one in Wiesbaden where I also had my surgery. I might think about it if I manage to run again.

One of my more short-term goals is travelling to Cairns in Australia with my husband, actually. We just like the town and the surroundings - the Great Barrier Reef, the coast line and Daintree Forest is only a few hours driving from there.
Best wishes from Constanze
 
hi @Constanze
I LOVE the description of the swim across the lake every Thursday. I have just been doing my lengths in lovely pool in gym. You have set me thinking ... where ... what can I do that would be as invigorating!

Like you our short term goal is Australia. I have been retired for three years and my hip prevented us going sooner. At the age of 7, having an Australian teacher, I made a decision to go to Australia 'one day". Now 58 yrs later we can realise that dream. I never thought I would be able to plan, just a few months post hip op!
X
 
Oh @Constanze you have done so well. I bet your physiotherapist just laughs when s/he sees you, at the thought that you need any physiotherapy when you are doing so well. That lake swimming sounds so great....
 
Swimming does sound like good physical therapy. If summer doesn't come soon here I will have buy a wetsuit to enjoy our little spring fed lake. Happy for you Constanze!
 
Hi @Constanze
Hope all is going well back at work. i thought of you this morning. Was it you who wrote about the efficiency of German hospitals? I took my mother for an outpatient appointment for eye treatment. It should have started at 9.15 but started at 10.30 am because "the cleaners hadn't finished"! Not good organisation or management!

You are doing so well exercise wise. I need to follow your example and have a plan re my stamina. x
 
Hi @copsham - Thank you for asking. I'm fine. Was going to post an up-date after I've been swimming in the lake. So far I haven't found the time to go to the Swim Nights on Thursdays - there was always something.
My hip is fine and my work is fine (only getting up early isn't fun). I'll post a more detailed update another day.

You've done very well. I admire people who look after their parents or other people who need help because that kind of work is among the hardest - harder than going out to work. My Mum lives hundreds of Kms away in Northern Germany, and I can't help really. My sister helps with driving to the doctors' and all the rest of it. At least I can help my husband when he needs help. I hope the eye appointment with your Mum went all right in the end and your Mum is getting the right treatment. Yes - that is a nuisance keeping you waiting. It looks as if hospitals and doctors practices are inefficient all over the world. There are certainly inefficient ones in Germany - and I might have mentioned it. Last Thursday - I had to wait 1 1/2 hours at my local orthopaedic doctor to talk to him about blood results and get my pills for the treatment of my osteoporosis. One reason why I didn't go swimming then was actually that appointment.

I also mentioned, the hospital where i had my hip operation is efficient actually but the adminstratin at my rehab centre was terrible. Take care - will write more another day - Constanze
 
After 2 months

Well not much news: I'm going to work, either by car or by bicycle. My left leg has continued to grow stronger and looks and feels as strong as my right one. Amazing how an atrophied muscle can recover so fast. My physiotherapy sessions have come to an end. Went to my old local gym on Wednesday and did the same exercises on the machines as pre-op. That was fun.

Yesterday, I tried out my new hip on that long lake swim I was reporting about: 1.5 Km. It was a bit jerky at the beginning because of the wind and the waves, but got better half-way through. I did the 1.5 Km. It's also a pleasure getting changed and getting in and out of my wetsuit without having to struggle.

All the best for everybody
Love - Constanze
 
@Constanze you said "not much news" .... but the swim is great news - wish I was there! Well done on 1.5km... lovely new hip! x
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom