I had my first post-op appointment today. He removed the stitches (all 2 of them

) As a pilot would say on your flight, "you are now free to move about the cabin". My surgeon said I have no restrictions! So I am free to drive, exercise, etc. He actually wants me to move and exercise. The glute medius muscles should be a focus of my exercise as well to get them to wake up and do something. The only stipulation he had at this point is "if it is painful, stop. don't do it". I can live with that! So I came home and the crutches and I went for the longest walk since before surgery, which included 2 hills - one downhill and one uphill. The downhill was actually worse.
The other statement he made sure that I knew and understood was "YOU WILL NOT LIMP". He was ok with me using crutches for another week or so when out walking. Then transferring to a cane or one crutch when the rest of the swelling goes down and I get stronger. He doesn't really care how long I have to use a cane - as long as I do not limp.
My next - and probably final - post-op appointment is March 22.
@Ausman - yes, I definitely had a good case of bursitis and he did remove the bursa. The MRI I had definitely showed the bursitis. Even after 2 cortisone shots, I got no relief whatsoever. Since the IT band runs down the side of the leg, my IT band was extremely tight in that area so he lengthened the IT band as well. Unfortunately, as you are experiencing, I had to search for someone else to help me. I searched Dr. Google for hip/gluteal tendon specialists in my area. There were a couple other surgeons that I would have liked to have gone to, but they were a flight and hotel away and logistics and timing didn't work out. But with what the issue was, I'm not sure if the surgery would have been any different. I am completely satisfied with the surgeon I chose. I do hope you are able to get things figured out.
@ljpviper - I'm not sure if my surgeon is familiar with an injection to help the scar tissue or not. But in my case having the bursitis and IT band tightness and the stitch knot, I'm not sure if he would have recommended an injection or not. My SED rate and CRP wasn't elevated. I do hope the injection works for you so you don't have to have another surgery
@SaraK - the stitch knot that he removed was actually the stitch that is done when reattaching the tendon to the GT at the end of the hip replacement (or revision) surgery. They drill a hole through the GT and run the stitch through that and the tendon to hold everything in place. He did say that typically the stitch(es) are done on the side of the GT and mine was more on the top.
I asked him if the stitch knot could have been the issue or if it was stitched to include something that it shouldn't have. But in typical doctor speak, he talked about it, but never answered the question.
So, if this is deemed a success to resolve the pain and issues that I was having, I will never really know what the true cause is. I guess it really doesn't matter, but I will always wonder. Just who I am.
It is supposed to be a cooler weekend, so I am planning on going to the gym and ride the stationary bike. In the gym, I am usually the "go big or go home" type, so I will have to work hard to dial things down a notch. For now.
He also gave me a prescription of Meloxicam instead of taking Ibuprofen.
I am feeling a bit better everyday. The worst days were Sunday through Wednesday where I felt so tired and had no energy.
Thank you everyone for all of your thoughts, prayers and well wishes - and encouragement! It really helps and means so much! Unless you have been through some of the hip issues and having a replacement, it is hard to explain and sometimes people just don't get it. BoneSmart has been a godsend to be able to chronicle, whine, vent, etc. Sometimes I don't know how I would have kept my sanity if it wasn't for everyone here.
