Revision THR Constant pain continuing 1 year after THR<^

ALL the best @Marvy
Some extra Vitamin C for you!
Drown that cold in orange juice!!

I will be thinking of you and waiting to hear how you are!
Healing hugs in advance!:yes:

Thank you everyone for the well wishes, thoughts and prayers!

Hopefully I will hear soon as to what time tomorrow I am scheduled for.

We'll be thinking of you tomorrow, Marvy.
Prayers for your comfort, a great result and perfect healing.:prayer:
Will look forward to an update once you're resting comfortably at home.
@Marvy

Good luck, Marvy! I wish you the best possible outcome and that your pain is relieved. Let us know how the revision goes. Your bonesmart buddies eagerly await your first recovery post.

Marvy, you know we're all pulling for you! Go find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!

I just hung up after talking to the hospital. I guess I got my wish as I am first case tomorrow morning. I have to check in at 6am and surgery is scheduled for 7:30am. So I am glad we did decide to drive out tonight and stay in a hotel....

I will be spending one night in the hospital.

I'll check back after surgery... Thank you all!!! Hopefully this will be me after surgery :running: but I may be more like :sleeep:

Checked in at the hospital this morning at 6am. Got the IV started around 7. They wheeled me back to the OR around 7:15. I did get a spinal anesthesia. The last time that I remember seeing on the clock was 7:24.

I woke up in the OR and noticed the time of 9:14. They wheeled me off to recovery. I was there a little longer than anticipated as my body temperature was a bit too low. So, they put more warm blankets on me as well as a heater pad that they hooked up to a hose that blew hot air into it.

Got to my room around 11:15. Got situated and had lunch.

The surgeon didn't find a tear anywhere. He did clean up a TON of scar tissue, removed the bursa. He also released the IT band as he said it was extremely tight and was almost "stuck" in place - in part due to the amount of scar tissue. He also said he found a "stitch knot" from the previous surgery and removed it.

So, because there wasn't a tear, I really don't have any restrictions. He did say that he does want me using crutches for a couple weeks when doing "longer" walks and when I'm fatigued as he does not want me limping when I walk. As for any exercise, it will be "as tolerated". Like he said, "if it hurts, don't do it".

I was originally scheduled to stay the night in the hospital, but because the surgery went better than anticipated (no tear), I was allowed to leave. So, I checked out and we were back in the hotel around 7:30pm tonite.

So, the next few weeks will tell if the surgery worked or not. So, I am keeping positive that this will resolve the issue and I can get back to my old life.

I feel good and have only had ibuprofen and tylenol for pain. But I also know that the 2nd and 3rd day can be alot different from a pain perspective!

So, here's to a good and successful and uneventful(!) recovery!

The fact that he found scar tissue hampering things and a stitch knot makes me hopeful that this is going to be the answer for you. With no tear holding you back, maybe you'll be able to confirm that soon!

All sounds very good, @Marvy! I am hoping so hard that this will resolve all of your issues. Gosh, things have to be just so in our bodies in order for them to work correctly. :)

Great update, Marvy!
It sounds encouraging and will hopefully bring you relief.
A peaceful relaxing weekend to you!
@Marvy

:wave:Marvy.
Very glad to hear no tear to repair!
Do take things slow and easy...
Hope this is the start of all getting better and better!:egypdance:

yes, @Krista, the body is interesting as anything that is a tad "off" can flare up... (as in the screw in my psoas)

I am glad that he didn't find a tear. But the mystery may never really be answered as to what was really causing the pain then. It will be a good conversation to have over the years "hmm, I wonder....".

The surgeon feels pretty confident that he got me pain free. As for function and getting strength back, he isn't as confident. He said that it may be a case of "it is what it is". But I will take pain free.

He brought me the pictures that he took during surgery before I left the hospital. He mentioned the stitch knot quite a few times. I know that a surgeon will never definitively say anything negative about one of their peers, but one does wonder.....

I am now starting to bruise. they put about an inch of gauze padding over the incision areas! I can take it off in a couple days. It is interesting as I thought they would go in from the side of my hip, but the stack of gauze is in the front of my hip, below the fold of my leg. I do have a little swelling.

I went for a short walk today with crutches as the weather was nice enough to get out for a bit. Walked about 800 feet. Then we went to the grocery store. Came home and am sitting with ice on it. Not for pain, but to help with swelling/bruising. It's not painful. Just a hint of an ache. But I don't think I will be skipping down the road for a while!

When I checked out of the hospital, they sent me home with a bag of stuff! Gauze pads, 2 rolls of tape, 2 pair of non-skid socks, hand sanitizer, hibi-clens, toothbrush, toothpaste and a box of kleenex. Oh, and 3 ice packs. They also had occupational therapy come and do the handheld breath test, so I left with that thing as well.

They told me to take tylenol and ibuprofen. Also got a prescription for oxycodone.

So, I am hopeful that I will be able to return to the gym and biking soon!

I love the hope and optimism! Good walk for this soon! Keep getting stronger and let's get this all past you!

Out of curiosity, did the surgeon tell you where the "stitch knot" was that he removed? I accidentally went back to the first page of your thread and saw that the first thing you were posting about was a lump/bump that didn't go away and hurt with activity. I'm just wondering if that was in the area where the pesky stich knot was located ...

The stitch knot was in one of the pictures that he gave me. If I remember I think he said it was down by the GT. I will have to ask him on Friday. I was thinking the same thing once he said he removed it. At my last appointment with him he didn’t specifically mention the stitch knot, but he did say “I’ve seen things stitched together that shouldn’t be”. Makes one wonder sometimes :what:

Even though I do have some swelling, the incision from the first 2 surgeries is smooth (at least for now). No lumps or bumps-guess it was the scar tissue he removed.

The pain set in more around the GT yesterday so I have been icing even more and taking my pain meds. In addition to watching reruns of Matlock and Perry Mason :heehee:

It is more painful sitting down and getting up than once I am up.

The cats are terrified of the crutches- one of them even hissed at me/them. But today I took a nap and one of them jumped up in bed and plopped down next to my hip as if to say “I’ll make it feel better”. Ah, our pets are more intuitive than some people :meow:

Nitey night :sleeep:

My son's cat likes to dart in front of you and stop. Definitely not good for hip patients. She was terrified of the walker, though (not so much the cane). My cat, on the other hand, isn't always the most affectionate and decides whether and when she wants to sit on my lap. Even when she does come up, she's usually done after about 10-20 minutes. With both of my hip replacements and my recent hip arthroscopy, she sat on my lap day and night (usually on the op leg) - guess she was comforting me and protecting me!

Hi there :wave:
Sounds like you're doing well, Marvy.
Keep up with the meds, ice and rest.
I hope you have a good week :)
@Marvy

Sending healing thoughts and
Hope today is a Good Day @Marvy

Hello Marvy,

Glad your surgery was successful. As I recall you had a posterior incision. I was in the same boat as you for two years no one could figure out why I was I was still in pain. Well after researching more and more as my pain was increasing, had my local sports medicine give me two injections in the superior gluteal nerve.

This nerve has branches on the glute medius, minimus, and tensor fasciace late. One shot composed of saline and and another substance to break down the scar tissue by the nerve. The other injection was cortizone mixed with lidocaine. This procedure was done on January 07 of this year. I am happy to report I am 80 percent pain free.

My gut feeling is my scar internally grew scar tissue close enough and was nicking that nerve. Once that happened it shut down my hip muscles mentioned above. Amazing this was not in my surgeons protocol for a possible remedy for patients with chronic pain after surgery. I had to research hip anatomy to come to this conclusion. Also, my psoas pain is almost gone as well now that the muscles are firing property.

When you see your OS can you asked where exactly was the bulk of the scar tissue he removed.

Thanks,

Larry

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom