Considering a walking stick...a big step...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have also been considering picking up a cane of some sort, particularly for when I have pushed myself a little bit harder than I should have. I limped into the pharmacy, and picked one off the shelf and took it for a spin. It certainly did feel better on my hip to have that extra support... but I left it there, just couldn't do it yet. Next time I have a few really bad days I'm sure I'll regret leaving it there. I did pick up one of those cool sock aid things... I didn't even know that those existed, but I hate starting the day off fighting with my socks!!!
 
@confused newb - I understand completely but really feel that the benefit of reduced discomfort makes it all worthwhile :tada: after all that's the most important thing. And if it means improved gait then that has to be a good thing as far as your posture is concerned as there is less likelihood of muscles wasting. I find I walk more upright using it and hurt less. Urge you to think again and take pity on your poor hip :angel:
 
After my mom died, I started using her walkers. (post surgery.) I couldn't believe the difference that they made. It was such a relief! In my case, I didn't feel bad, because I knew I was using them temporarily. Also, when I first went out in public, they helped to keep people from bumping into me. I never did use a cane. I think I had some sort of block with that. One of the walkers I have is gorgeous! It's cherry red, has a seat, a pouch, and a shelf. It came in so handy. I also used it at home, to wheel my plate of food to the couch. I can't say enough good things about that walker...(I think my mom was happy that I was using it, since she refused to...I was always afraid she was going to fall.)

p.s. I understand how you feel about the small town issue. I live in a place like that. It's shocking some of the misinformation that gets spread...
 
@dandy_candi and @confused newb
I totally understand the apprehension in deciding whether or it to get a cane. But, if it helps take some of the pressure off your painful hips, wouldn't it be worth it? Even if you don't use it everyday (I had days when I didn't need it) it'll be there for those bad days. And, the heck with what other people think. I had a very simple answer to those who questioned why I was using a cane...."I have a bad hip."...most times, that's all it took. Best of luck to you both.
 
I was thinking that @Nana757 . I tend to say I have a bad back because people say I'm too young to have bad hips and I don't want to explain to them but you know what, I don't have to explain. I don't have to say anything , it's my life and it's none of their business.
Sorry, having a bad day pain wise and people wise- really hard working in customer service most of the time. Thinking of a new profession when I am a new hippy :)


Candice. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Diagn.1999 at 12 yo. From Victoria, Australia. Planning to book sequential unilateral THR July 2016 :)
 
@dandy_candi - I used to say it was my back, but now I'm honest. There's no shame in pain and Yes it IS your life. One day they could be in the same boat. These bad days are so tiresome aren't they - runs your patience short - well it does mine - my eyes turn into demons and even little things get magnified. :tantrum2:My husband has corrugated ears (!) We will get through this - the good news is we can get fixed. :thumb: It isn't forever. Are you delaying till July for a reason? Hobbling off now. Keep in touch x :curtsey:
 
@missmuffett I know I should be honest but I am generally a private person, and having rheumatoid I have good days and bad days (mostly bad lately) so I've generally been selective about who I talk to about it. I honestly am sick of talking about it lately. I have a girl at work who has psoriatic arthritis and it's good to have someone know what your going through.
Yes July for a few reasons- my surgeon had dates available in February and March (for both hips he does them minimum 6 weeks apart) or the next one was July. February was too soon as I need to save money for the surgery. I have health insurance (bit of a different system here in Aus I think) which covers most of it but I need to pay $1000 per hip to him plus anesthetist costs, my health insurance excess of $250 and then have enough money to pay my bills whilst I'm off work for 3 months. We have savings for a house but I don't want to take it out of that unless it gets really bad and I need to push the surgery forward.


Candice. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Diagn.1999 at 12 yo. From Victoria, Australia. Planning to book sequential unilateral THR July 2016 :)
 
@dandy_candi, I ditto @Sagefemme's advice about a walking stick. I refused to use a cane pre-surgery, and now it is taking me even long to ditch the limp. Had I ditched my pride, I wouldn't be dealing with the messed up gait.... But I still hate the cane. So I found a super cool collapsible walking stick at REI. $30 (although you can spend much more...), has cool yellow flames on it, doubles as a monopod for your camera. My husband wants one now for hiking - and his hips are fine!! I am still self-conscious, and I still want to ditch it, but I dare anyone to ask me why anyone so young needs one to walk (it would double as a great weapon) :heehee:
 
Haha hipster2016, I love the option to use it as a weapon

I did it, bit the bullet and just bought one on eBay.

[Bonesmart.org] Considering a walking stick...a big step...


Plus I asked at my chemist (drug store/pharmacy) today what assistance items they have. The lady said they can order heaps of different things and they also hire out some items too so I will find out what my insurance company covers and then go from there.

So I will see how I go once my cane comes in the mail and at least I will have he option to use it when I want to and not use it if I don't! I'll post more once I get it


Candice. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Diagn.1999 at 12 yo. From Victoria, Australia. Planning to book sequential unilateral THR July 2016 :)
 
Very snazzy, @dandy_candi. Like you, I have suffered most of my life from arthritis pain (although I am about 20 years older...slow learner). I resisted any assistance items until right before the surgery. Somehow being able to put on my own socks, even if it made me nauseous, meant I was "normal." I gave up on pantyhose and tights about nine months ago, just couldn't do it anymore. Now that I have a sock aid, I can't believe I didn't get one years ago.

Bummer you have to wait until July, but the cane will help, hopefully. Time will pass and it will be here before you know it!
 
@dandy_candi - well done you! Taking care of your gait now and helping with easing movement and pain and looking after your muscles will all count towards a really great decision. Mine is just like that - collapsible, light and what I like to think of as an attractive fashion accessory. Don't forget - this is temporary, not forever, and simply a way of getting through and making life a jot easier till we get our new spare parts :friends: x
 
Guess what showed up in the mail today??? My walking stick!! I didn't even have to go to the post office to pick it up, the lovely postman left it in my mail box!

[Bonesmart.org] Considering a walking stick...a big step...


I love it, it's so pretty. I walked around a little bit with it and it took the pressure off so I think it will actually help. I will try it on my next shopping trip or big walk and see how I go!! I will keep you all updated

[Bonesmart.org] Considering a walking stick...a big step...



Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
@dandy_candi - just knew you'd love it! :friends:It will become your new best friend, but don't reserve it for big walks or outside trips. Keep it handy in the house - I do, for those times when you need a little extra help.:console2:
 
When you are 20 you worry about what everyone thinks
When you are 40 you don't care
When you are 60 you realize no one else really cared either

I am a little late to the party on this one, but I started using one about 6 months ago - I was very embarrassed using it but I had to as I catch public transport to work and standing for 70 minutes was simply not an option. I feel much more comfortable using it now and now even use it around the office. I think that I probably need to be on crutches, as the cane is not cutting it anymore as both hips are bad - but I think that I would prefer a walker to crutches! At least there is a seat and a basket on the walker.

I kinda 'cheat' at the moment as I have a work briefcase on wheels so I extend the handle on that and use the stick in the other hand to keep my balance and weight off my hips on the train if I have to stand.

I love the quote above - it is too true! People simply don't ask - they look all embarrassed when they first see you using the stick but after awhile they don't worry about it - especially if you seem comfortable with it.
 
I brought my walking stick (like a collapsible metal hiking stick) to work today for the first time and used it when I needed to walk across the property. I was inexplicably embarrassed to be using it. For some reason I felt like people would think I was trying to get attention by using it. (Totally ridiculous of course.) Only some of the people I work with know about my upcoming surgery. I've been limping around for quite a few months now, but I'm not sure how many coworkers have noticed this. I was hesitant to bring the stick to work because it would mean more people would definitely notice. No one said anything to me about it today. I got a few pained/sympathetic looks from some of my co-worker friends who know what is going on and how much pain I'm in. They just feel bad for me and don't want me to have to be walking around at all.

I will start using it every day since it actually did help a lot with the painful walking. It definitely reduced the number of times I step in slightly the wrong way and get a jolt of extreme pain in my hip, which is the worst thing ever! :sad:
 
I understand what you mean @Rutabaga about not wanting people to think you are faking or putting it on. Especially if you use it one day and not the next. I think that is part of my hesitance too but I hadn't realised.

I think we need to assume that people think the best of us, rather than the worst, and then answer with as much information we feel comfortable with to any questions they might have- answers such as "I have bad hips" or "I have (insert medical condition)."

Now that I have my surgery booked in and have told my boss, I have mentioned my surgery to a few of the causal workers who have come from another office this week and it actually feels better explaining myself. I don't limp or have any outward signs of RA (except for my groans when I reach to pick things up from the ground lol) .

I will let you know how I go this weekend with my walking stick. In the car now and my hips and back are killing me so I can see I will need it!


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
@Rutabaga I completely understand - I felt uncomfortable for a long time, and I am yet to feel completely comfortable. The first time that someone sees me with it I get highly embarrassed then after that it dies down.

Some days I need it more than others (those days are much less frequent now :-()but I try to have it with me all the time and use it whenever possible. I felt like an imposter when I first used it as it was 'not under doctors orders' I simply decided that it was time and I felt that it would help - and it did. I am not faking the pain and therefore I am not a 'fake' - you aren't either - we certainly wouldn't choose this unless we had to.

I think it is hard when we, as private people, have an outward display of our illness - for strangers to see and wonder 'I wonder what is wrong with her'. It rubs. It is not pleasant.

(((((Hugs to you)))))

P.s. I am considering going to crutches to get my weight off my hips as much as I can - I am more worried about using those than I am the stick - at least with the stick I have found that no-one asks you what is wrong - with crutches everyone asks you 'What have you done?' - I am thinking that a walker may be a better option and it has a built in chair!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
That's interesting you say that @JMACCA about with crutches people ask what's wrong but a cane or stick they don't. With crutches maybe they think it's a broken leg or strain or they associate it with doctors giving you the crutches but the stick is more self prescribed? Strange but interesting.
I studied sociology so all of this interests me.


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
I found people tended to stay out of my way and would do things like open the door for me when I started using a crutch. Pre LTHR my hip was not at all stable so a crutch felt like a much safer option - and it did take the weight off my very sore hip.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom