Guest viewing is limited

Considering a walking stick...a big step...

Status
Not open for further replies.
@dandy_candi, I started using a walking pole that I had previously used to provide more exercise, so not at cool as yours!, about 3 months ago, mostly around the house, then when I was out and about and have recently moved to both poles as I felt more balanced with two. I did get some looks and a few questions, but considering the assistance, stability and comfort they give me, I decided to ignore what others thought. Those that know me understood, and I didn't really care about the rest! I did find people would open the door for me, which initially made me uncomfortable, but then I realized I would do the same if in their position! Glad you've received your walking pole - you'll soon feel comfortable with it!
 
With crutches maybe they think it's a broken leg or strain or they associate it with doctors giving you the crutches but the stick is more self prescribed? Strange but interesting.
I studied sociology so all of this interests me.

I agree, it is really interesting @dandy_candi - I also studied a sociology subject last year at uni and totally LOVED it!

I found people tended to stay out of my way and would do things like open the door for me when I started using a crutch. Pre LTHR my hip was not at all stable so a crutch felt like a much safer option - and it did take the weight off my very sore hip.

Yes, I have to say that this was awkward for me - even people asking me to go first down a hall or through a door - I find that bit frustrating as they then have to walk slowly behind me. But - the best thing is using it with public transport - particularly as everyone is rushing in and out of the station, as I can't 'go with the speed of the flow' the stick gives that outward sign of 'go around me'.
 
I was mortified to need a cane! Started using it in December 2014 then by October 2015 I needed to start using a walker and I was damned if I would use it so I just struggled along. Too proud. Finally in November the pain got so bad I had to break down. Now using cane or walker depending on pain level and how far I need to go and don't give a hoot anymore! Figured whatever minimizes pain and stress on my bone on bone hip is worth it!

This is quite a journey for us all!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
So I didn't end up using my cane over the weekend. I took it with me but the place we went to for the day that I was worried I'd need it for, I didn't need it. Hubby carried a chair for me and there was a shuttle bus from the car park to the entry way so I did very little walking.

I showed my husbands friends while I was there though- figured it would be easier to ease myself into it and just say- "hey -look what I got, I might use it occasionally". They were good and I talked to my friends mum about it and they were all really supportive.

I have put the cane in my car door so I can grab it if I need


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Hi @dandy_candi,

I have been using a cane for about 2 years and I have purchased some really beautiful ones from this site:https://www.fashionablecanes.com/.
I try to minimize the stress to my hip and my lower back. I am dealing with a weight issue and insurance restrictions on weight that are causing me major problems with moving forward with my TRHR.

Some people look,at me funny because they say you're too young to be using that. One new employee said to me "I want you to get rid of that cane." I was looking at her like " do you really think a young, sexy, full of life woman like myself would be using a cane if I didn't need it?"

I am also very transparent about my issue, so, it helps me at me work and when I am out and about and people are incredibly caring and always make sure I am ok. My job gave me a parking space right in the front of the building and I am so thankful we don't have stairs!

Good luck and take care!
 
Hi @dandy_candi,

Some people look,at me funny because they say you're too young to be using that. One new employee said to me "I want you to get rid of that cane." I was looking at her like " do you really think a young, sexy, full of life woman like myself would be using a cane if I didn't need it?"
!

This made me laugh!!! That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard someone say! Seriously, what would make her say that!

I am sure that it wasn't funny at the time, it seems like it was something that she could deal with, and nothing to do with you - but gee whiz, what a dumb demand to make.

Thank you for making my day!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So I used my walking stick in public for the first time today. My husband and I have gone away for a night and we were looking at antique shops then are going on a ghost tour in an old Gaol tonight. I know the tour will have walking so I thought that I should try the stick.

So I used it in the antique shops. I avoided eye contact but I noticed if I did make eye contact that people smiled at me.

I found it was a little too high for me, even on the lowest setting- I am only 5'1" so my hubby will have to fix it when we get home. But I took the rubber stopper off and it was the right height. But then it slipped when I was on concrete so not that useful so I put it back on.

I found I had to keep swapping sides and my arms were getting a bit sore. Maybe that was because of the incorrect height too. We still sat down a few times - thank goodness for couches in the antique places.

So overall a good experience. I do feel like I would need two and that even crutches could help.


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Hi, we are the same height, so, your cane needs to be about 32 or 33 inches. The rubber tip is extremely important because it helps the cane remain steady without slipping on certain surfaces. You can purchase one and they will customize the length for you or buy an adjustable one that you can manually adjust the length.
Also, make sure you are using the cane on the opposite side of the injury, otherwise, you are causing more stress to your hip and lower back.
My arthritis is in my right hip, so, i use the cane on my left side and it helps me minimize the pain and keep my gait normal.
 
Hi, we are the same height, so, your cane needs to be about 32 or 33 inches. The rubber tip is extremely important because it helps the cane remain steady without slipping on certain surfaces. You can purchase one and they will customize the length for you or buy an adjustable one that you can manually adjust the length.
Also, make sure you are using the cane on the opposite side of the injury, otherwise, you are causing more stress to your hip and lower back.

Another shorty! Hehe
Yes my cane is adjusted to the shortest option- I will have to get hubby to modify it. It was only a cheap one from eBay.

Yes I do find it hard as both of my hips are bad and both due to be replaced in a few months. Perhaps I should get a second cane.


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Heck, if you think the cane is embarrassing, try deciding which is less embarrassing, the walker or the wheelchair! My family thinks I'm nuts and can't understand why in the world would I be embarrassed...HELLO! :dubious:
 
@dandy_candi

Yes, I am a definite shorty You may need 2 since both of your hips need to be replaced, but the height is very important, so, you don't place stres on you hands and wrist.

@Cynthia777 ,
Yes, not sure which is worse....wheelchair or walker..they won't understand unless they have walked this journey.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom