TKR ConnieJo's knee recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm aggravated by the pain I'm having in my left hip after very little walking. the PT about it this morning and he seems to think that it's the muscle in my hip that may be causing it, that needs building up. He gave me a couple of exercises to do to build that muscle up
Well, he's wrong! It's not a case of a muscle needing 'building up' and you don't need exercises. What you need is just stretches and probably a good chiropractor to get in there and do acu-massage to make the spasm in that muscles let go. I kid you know, exercises will make this a lot worse.
I just felt defeated. I can't even make it around the block without being in pain!!
Actually you're just about on target for nine weeks. I'm 9 weeks tomorrow too and today I decided it was time to try walking round the supermarket instead of using the mobility scooter. It didn't seem too bad at the time but I am regretting my foolhardiness now! My knee aches, my hip (IT band) aches and I'm feeling pretty stupid and low. But we don't know what we can do unless we test ourselves from time to time. I just think maybe your 'tests' have been a little too much for you and you should make your expeditions shorter.
 
For what it's worth, I agree with Josephine! I'd definitely get a second opinion before I added anything more to my routine.
 
I guess I'll know more after Friday and see what the X-ray shows. If it doesn't show anything,I just may ask for a MRI.
 
I think that's the smart thing to do, ConnieJo! At least then you'll have more information about what's really going on.
 
I've had more discomfort today than I've had in awhile. It feels like I have an ace bandage wrapped around it tightly even in the upper calf area. My husband and I were sitting out on the porch swing (I think swinging is actually good with the bending back and forth of the knee) and I had him get the tape measure out and measure around different areas of the new knee verses the old. Slight swelling, not in all areas but maybe a quarter to a half inch like right below the knee cap. Is that enough to give me that sensation of a tight ace bandage? It's almost 2:20 AM and I have it elevated and icing it now. I'm thinking it got stirred up after therapy yesterday. Still trying to get it straight. It's close, but not completely.

I went down to a school this afternoon and saw a few girls that I used to work with and they thought it looked swollen to them, even with my long pants on. I think they saw what I see, but my husband fails to see. To me it looks like it sticks out further than the other. I don't know if that is caused by it not being 100% straight yet or not? I can't quite put my finger on it, but when I look at the knee itself, it really doesn't look like it has much swelling, but when I'm standing or walking with long pants on , that are covering the knee it looks like it sticks out further than the other knee and almost like it veers towards the right. My husband doesn't see it, but he's at a different angle than me looking down. They x-rayed it last time I was there and said it looked good and straight.
I go to the doctor in the morning. After feeling like I have since yesterday, in my mind, it makes the thought of going back to work more difficult.

We have a death in the family and I believe I'm going to have a funeral sometime in the beginning of the week,but I'm not exactly sure when because the arrangements haven't been made They are supposed to do that tomorrow. It's my nephews ex wife and was the mother to my great niece who is a freshman in High School, but she has lived with her Dad since she was in 4th grade and right next door to my sister. Even though they weren't together and she lived in another town, when she came for visits she would always stay there and they were still close.

Not sure what to tell the doctor to put on my release. I think they were expecting on me returning to school on Monday, if all goes well at the doctor, now that seems up in the air. Just feel a bit torn on what to do. I was thinking about seeing if I could start out doing a few half days at first and sort of ease my way back, but just not sure of which day to return now.
 
Good morning ConnieJo...hope you are having a better day today...I can relate to your "blue days". We all have them, so just know that it is OK...You had a HUGE surgery and it not only affected your body, it also affected your mind..I just keep telling my self that I am 1 day closer to being pain free...sometimes that helps my mood and sometimes it doesn't! And I totally understand the whole Hubby doesn't see what I see...My husband and I have a totally different "view" of my knee and the progress..he is a "no pain, no gain" type of person and Im more the, "kill it with kindness" type..as in take one day at a time and only push it to discomfort, not pain....Glad to hear that you made it to your grandsons soccer game! Have a great weekend and hang in there!
 
It feels like I have an ace bandage wrapped around it tightly even in the upper calf area. My husband and I were sitting out on the porch swing (I think swinging is actually good with the bending back and forth of the knee) and I had him get the tape measure out and measure around different areas of the new knee verses the old. Slight swelling, not in all areas but maybe a quarter to a half inch like right below the knee cap. Is that enough to give me that sensation of a tight ace bandage? I'm thinking it got stirred up after therapy yesterday.
Honey, first thing to remember is that you are only10 weeks out which is not that far. And these kinds of sensations are very common and to be expected. Read this Pain: Movie sign in TKR.
 
Thanks Josephine & Spencieca. Went to the Dr. today and got that hip x-rayed. I was happy to find out that it's not caused by arthritis. He gave be the card for a hip Dr. in the same building. He said it could possibly be the muscle that needs built up, but that I may need to get an MRI if it doesn't clear up. He said it could even be my back causing it. It know I have arthritis in my neck & back.
I'm still experiencing the tightness like yesterday. Still no change there. He told me to wrap it in the heating pad, get it warmed up, do the stretching and extensions and then ice afterwards. I'm afraid that my knee got angry at PT Wed. That seems to be when it got stirred up and really started bothering me. Last night before bed, I thought I would to a few good bends with the strap. I still try to do those a couple of times a day. Well, I can sure tell it's flared up. I couldn't get near as good of bend and it was more painful. Back to taking pain pills & Tylenol more often today to deal with it.i was telling him how it's bugging me how it seems to be sticking out more and I guess that's the little bit of the swelling and the leg not being 100 % straight? I'm going to baby it for a bit and hope it feels better soon.
I'm going to be off from work for one more week and then return with one week of half days before going back to full days. The way my knee feels at the moment, I'm thinking that this will be the right thing to do, even though I'm starting to think that I would be better off working and being busy to take my mind off of strictly focusing on this knee.
 
that is good news on the hip info! I have arthritis in the back and neck as well, but so far it is somewhat under control! take care of it and really think about going back to work, you don't need any setbacks!
 
Connie, are you aware that some people find it very difficult to read italicised text? Me for one. It just all phases into a mess of zigzags. The only way I can read your posts is to edit them and take out the italics.
 
Seems like I'm having a setback. My knee seems very angry at the moment. Ever since that PT visit Wednesday. I can't get near the bend that I had and the pain is worse. Just trying to give it time to calm back down.
 
ConnieJo - sorry you're struggling right now. :-(
One of the things I am learning on this journey is that recovery is not always linear, meaning it doesn't necessarily get better day by day. Some days I'm working on all cylinders, cooking, shopping, exercising, and then the next day, I'm tired, achy, and near tears from frustration with the ongoing stiffness. Still walking - slowly - with a cane at 2 months, I'll read about someone who went for a mile walk with no cane or crutches and feel like an abject failure. ... but then I get myself together and remind myself of what I'm about to write to you: we are not robots. We may have bionic knees, but we are not machines! Sounds like your body is just asking for some time off. :-)
 
I have long been of the opinion that PT is grossly over rated. Did you read this article Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it? It explains with great clarity how your ROM is already there. What's blocking it is the swelling and pain. What causes the swelling an pain is the exercises. Truly! So take a rest from the exercises and your ROM will be allowed to reveal itself. Try it and see!
 
Hi @ConnieJo

Even though I've finally been discharged from PT (phew), a day or two after my knee could swell up. Once a few days elapsed it settled back nicely. I had a lovely surprise at my sis in laws today. I walked up and down her stairs, one foot per stair holding the hand rail. I was ecstatic. Then I found out why. Her stairs are only half the depth of mine. But the sense of achievement was fabulous x my knee felt lovely coming down properly.

You will be fine, I'm sure. The thing is with this surgery it can take it's toll on your confidence sometimes and make you a bit anxious. I'm sure this will pass. Please take care of yourself. Josephine's advice and all the others who have contributed have a lot of faith in you x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Yay for you, @Nana moon 27!:happydance:

And @Josephine - you are SO right. I have all but abandoned formal PT and although I still have a lot of stiffness and some swelling, the thing is, my ROM is fine. I can straighten my leg almost completely and when I'm not achy and move my knee slowly, it goes almost all the way back, nearly as far as the non-op knee. Had my followup with my surgeon today and he was pleased with my progress. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from going to PT as long as it works for them, but I agree with you. I haven't been sitting around every day with my feet up for the past 2 months. In addition to bathroom breaks, I've been cooking, practicing on the steps, going out to eat or short shopping trips, etc. I think the key for some of us is not necessarily formal PT, but remaining as active as you are able so that the ROM can come naturally.
 
It's still bugging the **** out of me. I just don't think we're bonding well. Two steps forward and one back. Yesterday they seemed to be pretty pleased with it at PT. They said that it went from 15 to 5 at,getting it straight...whatever that means. I try to go and swing on the porch swing a couple of times a day and that gets a lot of movement going. I can feel it get loosened up after awhile.
It's going to kill me going back to work. I have a bad habit going ...staying up late and sleeping to late morning.
I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I have zero motivation right now. I started pulling things out of my bathroom closet two days ago and I'm still not finished with it. My house is getting on my nerves, but not enough to do much about it. I think I'm just overwhelmed right now with everything life keeps throwing our way. Worried about my great niece whose 15 that lost her mother last week. She lives with her Dad, whose my nephew, but still tough on her. My daughter has been to the hospital twice and the doctor since Saturday. She's having complications and now it looks like they will be inducing her labor about three weeks early. I'm waiting to hear what she finds out tomorrow, before making plans. They have been running all sorts of test on her. I feel really bad about work, but she's my only daughter and she wants me there. I hate that they are so far from home without a network of support. I guess I just logged on to whine and vent a bit. As always, thanks for listening and your encouraging words.
 
Hi @ConnieJo

That's good. They are talking about how straight your leg can go. They got it from 15 - 5...great stuff! You are aiming for 0, eventually but it takes time x x x

You don't sound as though you're well enough to go back to work yet! X x x

Love Nana moon 27 x x x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom