TKR ConnieJo's knee recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
You sound like me September. I haven't been out much at all. First time out was to the doctor for my three week follow up and the office girl asked me if I had been out of the country in the last three weeks and I replied "Shoot no, this is the first time that I've been out of the house"! I think she was happy with my reply. I really don't think they want you out much in the beginning, that's why In home visiting nurse and physical therapist.After that outing I think I've only been out three more times.My husband was off today, but I never left the house, but I'm thinking I may want to get out a bit tomorrow, before our weather turns off bad. I'm supposed to go for my six week follow up at the doctor Monday afternoon. I hope we don't get so much snow that I won't want to get out or if I would need to cancel.
Had a little warmth in my knee this evening. That's not really normal for me. Hopefully it's better tomorrow.
I think it's time for me to try and get some sleep. It's 1:39 AM here. I need to try and sleep more at night and less during the day, or I will never get ready to go back to work. I have found though, that I have to be pretty tired before I can get comfortable to sleep since surgery.
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!
ConnieJo RTKR 1/05/2015
 
Thanks Jamie for helping me understand what I'm feeling. It's just a strange sensation and it feels like it's from mid calf all the way up past my knee. I never really thought about it just being the stiffness.my neighbor was over today and I was showing her my knee and she thought it really looked swollen. I guess I'm used to looking at it and I was thinking that I didn't have much swelling with it. She was a sweetheart and she started dusting my
bedroom and then she did my dining room and front room too....ya got to love neighbors like that, and I Do!!
ConnieJo RTKR 1/05/2015
 
Bad night for me. :-( I usually take 2 Percocets at night before bed and one every 4 -6 hours during the day ONLY if I need them. Percocets knock me on my butt so I only take them if I'm very uncomfortable. Also take one Celebrex a day. Well, last night was a challenge! I had those annoying shooting pains in my knee that woke me 3 hours after I fell asleep. I iced my knee, waited an hour and took two Percocets. 4 hours later my leg woke me up again. Argh. Walked around the apartment yesterday, cooked, did some exercises, maybe I did too much....
 
I really don't think they want you out much in the beginning
@ConnieJo that's right. And also why we give you this article right at the beginning of your recovery! I suggest you read it again Activity progression for TKRs
Had a little warmth in my knee this evening. That's not really normal for me.
Maybe not, but it's normal for your knee! Think 'tissue kinetics' - that means activity in the tissues - all those blood cells acting like miniature vacuum cleaners running hither and yon mopping up dead and dying cells left by the trauma of the surgery, also other cells creating new cells to heal everywhere the surgeon has been with scalpel, scissors and fingers! It will most likely last about 6-8 weeks as per this chart - note line 4

[Bonesmart.org] ConnieJo's knee recovery

Percocets knock me on my butt so I only take them if I'm very uncomfortable.
@SeptemberZen we know Percocets knock people on their butts but it's intentional. It's a way of making sure you limit your activities because you are zonked out! and because of this, you should take them regularly, as per prescription for at least 4 weeks. If you wait until you have pain (yes 'discomfort' is pain) then you will be playing catch-up and that's not good for the knee.
 
A lot of my pain was in the form of stiffness and pain meds definitely helped that.
 
@ConnieJo I took these quotes from your post in SeptemberZen's thread. I am answering them here so not to derail her thread.
I'm still having major issues with sleep at night. It just seems that's when I have more discomfort and I can't sleep then.
Then you have pain issues. You're only 7 weeks out and need to attend to your pain med needs maybe for 12 weeks in lessening quantities, of course. I noticed that on Feb 6th post you said you were advised to take Aleve twice a day but has anyone suggested you also take Tylenol? This is completely compatible with the other drugs you are taking but take 1,000mg 4 times a day. It's a very good pain killer and quite safe provided you don't exceed that quantity.

For sleep issues, you also need to arrange things so you have a dose to take during the night. It's not good taking a dose at 10pm and then expecting to be okay until 8am. Spread them all evenly throughout the 24hrs until you are able to sleep through the night.
Is it just me, or do you experience a tuff time emotionally off and on
Of course you will! It's part of the process. Do you not remember this article which was given to you earlier? Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Trying to figure out now, how much longer that I think I need to be off work. I still can't imagine sitting at a desk for seven hours without having a good amount of discomfort.
This will be inevitable when you first return - up to a point. It's something I'm currently not looking forward to as I have only hard chairs to sit on, no access to a foot stool and no comfort! From 9am to 5pm! However, you can harden yourself up by taking walks for 15-20 every day. And I'm not planning to return until at least 10 weeks which I think would be good for you too.
 
Good stuff! I completely agree. I'm at almost 5 weeks and The Boyfriend asked me the other day when I planned to go back to work. Initially I thought I could do it in 6 weeks. Now I KNOW BETTER. I'd like to do it in 8 weeks but we'll see. I have a 2 hour commute by public transportation (!) and I might have to go up or down a flight of stairs at work or during the commute. I'm still taking Percocet and Celebrex both of which make me sleepy, so I can't work while they're in my system. My job is protected by FMLA but I was worried about using up all my sick time. But you know what? My KNEE is calling the shots, not me, and there is no point in trying to rush it.
 
Thanks Josephine for your input and you are so right, September Zen, that it is our knees controlling when we go back to work. I don't think I'm real fond of my knee right now. I knew it was going to take me down for awhile but I'm ready to be done with this! As my youngest grandson would say: "Can I Be Done?"

I did get to keep my doctors appointment Friday. I wasn't sure if the weather was going to interfere or not. I actually saw his Physician's assistant for the six week follow up. I'm still working on trying to get my leg to go straight and he said a lot of that has to do with the swelling. He had me start back up on my Meloxicam. He said that will help with the swelling also, and told me that I can quit taking the Aspirin they sent me home from the hospital with. Josephine I will have to keep the Tylenol in mind. No one has mentioned that to me.

Frankly, I'm sick of all the meds I'm juggling. At night sometimes I'm thinking to myself that this isn't right. I'm wondering if they aren't all start messing with my tummy a bit. He gave me an order so I can get a few more PT visits and gave me one more exercise to try where I lay on my tummy across the bed to where my knee is right in the edge and the rest of my leg is off the bed and I lay there trying to keep my leg straight. I'm supposed to back in three more weeks. He was pleased with the bend that I had and he wrote me out another prescription of the Hydrocodone. This last prescription for the 5mg said I could take 1 or 2 and I was only taking 1 at night, where I think I would have benefited from the two (10mg).

I think I started holding back because I wasn't sure if they were going to give me another refill or not. There have been a few times when I would take that second 5mg an hour before one was due, but I didn't feel too guilty about it because I could have taken a 10 to begin with and I didn't. Does that make sense to anyone but me?

After we left the doctor we went out for lunch where I sat there and cried through a part of it. I think what's weighing on my mind is the fact that I'm being off all this time with my knee. I was wanting to be in Cali for the birth of my grandson, my daughter's first child the end of April. I can just see me being off all of January and February and then going back and asking for another week off the end of April. The thing is, you never know when a baby decides to make an entrance. She said right now she is right on target with her due date. Not sure when to book flights. It's pretty pricey flying that distance, so if I went, I would like to go for a week and not just a couple of days.

I work in a school and they frown on taking off in May. That is a very busy time in an Elementary school office. I just find this to be a little overwhelming for me trying to decide what I should do/want to do/ and will be allowed to do!

After lunch we went to Hobby Lobby and I was all set to get a motorized cart. Walking was bothering me a bit at that moment. Well they don't have motorized carts. They had two wheel chairs, but I opted out of using those and I just pushed a cart around the store. I guess we left home before 11:00 that morning and we didn't get home until 4:30 or after. I came home and changed back into my jammie's. I was ready to stay in because we got some sleet and freezing rain. I was only going on about four hours sleep, so when I finally went to bed Friday night it was going on 11:00. I didn't get up Saturday until about 1:00PM. I guess I was tired because other than getting up twice to go to the restroom I just kept sleeping. Getting ready to head to bed now...wish me luck on sleeping again.
 
Josephine I will have to keep the Tylenol in mind
Don't keep it in mind, get it inside you! Tylenol is compatible with almost all other pain meds. Just check the hydrocodone and make sure it doesn't have any acetaminophen (Tylenol) in it. If it does, you need to add that in the to 4,000mg per 24hrs I mentioned.
Frankly, I'm sick of all the meds I'm juggling. At night sometimes I'm thinking to myself that this isn't right. I'm wondering if they aren't all start messing with my tummy a bit
How are they messing with your tummy, exactly? They certainly can make you constipated (Constipation and stool softeners), can mess with your appetite and maybe even make you feel nauseous but it's better that and to keep the pain under control. I had all those things recently and I know how it makes you feel like rubbish! Stick with it though - pain management right now is crucial as it affects your ability to improve your ROM.
gave me one more exercise to try where I lay on my tummy across the bed to where my knee is right in the edge
That's okay but don't do it so long that it hurts or aches. Several times with no discomfort is better than twice with pain because that causes swelling which is, I'm sure you will see, counter-productive to doing the exercise! You can see some other extension exercises in here Extension: exercises for improvement.
Does that make sense to anyone but me?
It makes perfect sense. I did that all the time.
I think what's weighing on my mind is the fact that I'm being off all this time with my knee.
"all this time"? My dear you are only 7 weeks out yet. The standard period off work for this surgery is 12 weeks and then a Phased return to work. Members have gone back earlier but almost always regretted it. Don't give yourself a guilt trip and unrealistic expectations. This is a time when you should be caring for YOU and giving yourself lots of TLC. These things require lots of time to heal and recover from. Do go more easy on yourself. Your ROM will improve in time provided you don't fall into the trap of thinking that the more exercise you do the faster your knee will improve. The opposite is true. Please go back and read the recovery articles Celle left you in post #6. I think you may have forgotten some of them!
 
Thanks for your suggestions Josephine.
I bought some TylenolPM tonight, but I didn't take it because when I went to bed, I took 2 pain pills, high blood pressure pill, a cholostrol pill and a Pepcid. I thought that was enough for the time being. Also, I haven't checked out that ingredient you told me to check for in the pain med, before taking the Tylenol.
My stomach just feels messed up, very queasy. I have been taking Duflonex every day since my surgery because I knew the pain meds can cause constipation. I've had the opposite problem today and Friday, with bouts I'd diarrhea. My stomach has really bothered me a lot since Friday and I was wondering if I had a bug, of some sort, or it's just the combination of all the meds along with the pain pills.
One thing that I've noticed since my surgery, that I never had a problem with before is that I find myself burping more. I hardly ever did that before, but seemed like I have since waking up from surgery. Do the pain meds cause this too? I find at times that I have heartburn and I've been taking a few tums for that. Very rarely have I ever had a problem with that. I think I'm just scared that I'm really messing my stomach up with all the different medications, from the way I've felt.

I have tried that leg extension, where I lay on the bed on my tummy twice now. The first time I just couldn't do it. Last night I did for just a few minutes. I have to lift myself up a bit with a pillow, because otherwise I feel like I'm suffocating. And by the time I was done, it was bothering my neck and my back. I've never been one that could sleep on my stomach
ConnieJo RTKR 1/05/2015
 
My two cents,ConnieJo? Please don't self-diagnose. Re the pain meds and stomach upset, it sounds to me like maybe you should call your doctor pronto and tell him/her what you've been telling us?
 
but I didn't take it because when I went to bed, I took 2 pain pills, high blood pressure pill, a cholostrol pill and a Pepcid.
All of which a completely compatible with Tylenol
Also, I haven't checked out that ingredient you told me to check for in the pain med, before taking the Tylenol.
I forgot to mention - the 24hr maximum of acetaminophen is 4,000mg. Just don't exceedthat.
One thing that I've noticed since my surgery, that I never had a problem with before is that I find myself burping more. I hardly ever did that before, but seemed like I have since waking up from surgery. Do the pain meds cause this too? I find at times that I have heartburn and I've been taking a few tums for that
None of the drugs you have mentioned should cause heartburn. But are you or have you ever taken anti-inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen, diclofenac, naproxen or mobic? Because you may have coincidentally developed gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) which can be caused by NSAIDs and this requires appropriate medication. You can read about it here NSAIDs, acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) differences and dangers. In the meantime, I suggest you try using Gaviscon for your heartburn as it is much more effective.
 
Hi @ConnieJo
I see that you haven't posted on your own thread for a while, but that you've posted a bit on other threads. Are you having trouble finding your thread?

Adding it to your Bookmarks is one way of finding it, or else you can try this:
How can I find my threads and posts?
 
Connie.....you really should be taking Extra Strength Tylenol and not TylenolPM. The "PM" has a sleep aid that can interact with other medications you're taking.
 
I haven't taken any Tylenol for quite a few days now. As far as the pain goes, I don't really have much at all. I took a pain med before PT this morning, because I wasn't sure how much pressing and pressure he would be applying to my knee in order to help with getting it straight, but I think he didn't feel the need to do much of that today because he's pretty pleased that I made as much progress with that as I had. I felt like he was there today for a lot of moral support.

I just have been feeling defeated and discourage with this lately. It's been nine weeks today and I'm afraid that I'm not bonding well with this knee. I just don't like it and the way it feels. I don't think I have much swelling at all, but I guess what I'm feeling is like a tightness. I'm not sure how to explain how it feels. He did tell me that if it's any consolation to me that he can tell that I'm a slow healer by the color of my scar. He said that those tissues are still in there healing and he used the salve again today and massaged it good. It still has some tender spots on it. It's either numb or tender, neither makes me too happy.

I'm aggravated by the pain I'm having in my left hip after very little walking. I was having that issue prior to surgery, but I thought it was due to my knee and being all out of whack, but apparently that wasn't the case. I tried walking Saturday since it was so nice out. My husband went with me and we just walked up and around the corner before the pain was there with each step I took. We turned around after awhile and I cried all the way home like a big ole baby. I just felt defeated. I can't even make it around the block without being in pain!!

I was telling the PT about it this morning and he seems to think that it's the muscle in my hip that may be causing it, that needs buiding up. He gave me a couple of exercises to do to build that muscle up. I sure hope he's right and that's all there is to it. I go back to the doctor Friday and they are supposed to X-ray it then.

I feel sorry for my husband. I'm sure he's tired of hearing me complain and cry. He has a hard time relating, because he didn't have the same feelings like I'm experiencing. He was one of the lucky ones that bounced back pretty quickly and his felt pretty normal to him. Enough complaining for the time being. Glad to have this forum to vent on!
 
Oh, @ConnieJo :console2:I'm sorry you're feeling a bit down.
I'm glad you found your way back to your thread though.

I'm sorry your knee is being slower than you'd like it to be.
It is only 9 weeks since your surgery, though, so I'm going to remind you that this surgery takes a full year before everything inside is completely healed. That doesn't mean that you won't feel heaps better long before then, but it does mean that 9 weeks is too early to expect to feel completely better. Like a lot of us, you probably thought that you'd be healed by now, but this recovery is a slow race - more like a marathon than a sprint.

Your knee is healing at its own pace and nothing you do can change that - not what your PT expects and not what you want.

I just don't like it and the way it feels. I don't think I have much swelling at all, but I guess what I'm feeling is like a tightness. I'm not sure how to explain how it feels. He did tell me that if it's any consolation to me, that he can tell that I'm a slow healer by the color of my scar. He said that those tissues are still in there healing
Tightness is a form of pain. You probably still need to take some medication. Did you ever try the Tylenol that Jamie recommended? You need to take 1,000 mg four times a day, for a total daily amount of 4,000 mg. Do check the other medicines you are taking, to make sure that none of them contain Tylenol.
There's an article about that knee tightness, here:
"Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee

So, your PT thinks you're a slow healer because of the colour of your scar? No, you're a normal healer. At 9 weeks, everyone's scar is still dark. It can take a year to fade to silver. Yes, he's right about that - it is a sign that healing is still taking place, as it should be at 9 weeks.

My knee replacement is almost 6 months old now. My scar is still deep pink and it still feels a bit warmer than my 3-year-old TKR. It's still healing inside, even though I can do everything I need for a normal life.

Take your time about going back to work. You'll work more effectively if you wait until your knee is healed enough. We usually recommend taking at least 12 weeks off.
I can't offer any advice about how you get time off to visit your daughter and her new baby.
 
Sending ((HUGS)) your way, ConnieJo! Some days are tougher than others... but honestly, there is no way to rush this process. I'm glad you're seeing the doctor soon because your doc is the best person to assess what is going on with your hip. Could be caused by a number of reasons but there's only one way to find out. In the meantime, please remember that pain is a signal that the body is in distress. Your hip is trying to tell you something; if you push past the pain, you might be aggravating whatever is going on in there. You'll get there.... but not by crossing off days on the calendar like a prisoner (I'm joking! :)). It will happen when it happens...and not a day before.

Hope you feel better soon!
 
Thanks Celle and September. Your kind words are much appreciated. The therapist was very kind and concerned and told me that I can call him anytime with any questions and concerns. Yesterday was a better day for me than Saturday and Sunday, as for as my mood. I felt like I stayed a little busier yesterday , but by that afternoon I was having some discomfort in my knee, so I did take two Tylenol and that seemed to help.
My husband called me yesterday afternoon and said that it was my oldest grandsons ( he's 10) first soccer game of the season.He told me to be ready and we would leave as soon as he got home. It was good getting out for something like that. It helped that they won and he scored three goals. We took him and his little brother to supper to celebrate. It's amazing how much my spirits go up when I get to spend time with those little guys.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom