Guest viewing is limited

TKR Concerns LTKR<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@flyaway79 That massager is mentioned in this article Acupressure massage. It didn't work for me :nah:


1) pain level is 3 if I don't do anything, if I exercise my knee it goes up to 6, at night 6-7
Well that clearly tells me that something you are doing is causing you this pain.
2) I have chronic pain so I am back on my normal pain meds of fentanyl patch 50mcgs every 3 days, break through med Tylenol #3, 1 or 2 every 4 to 6 hours, soma 350 mg 3 x day
Can you tell me more about this chronic pain? Is it a back issue or what? How long has that been going on for and how long have you been using fentanyl strips?
3) moderate swelling
Are you aware that swelling is also a form of pain? Did you include that in your pain score?
4) Rom 90, extension 5
That's actually pretty good for 9 weeks and considering all you've been put through!
5) icing for 60 minutes 4 times a day
6) elevating for 5-6,hours a day
Ice when you elevate!
7) vacuuming once a week, light housekeeping like dusting, swiffer floors, make TIDY bed, clean bathrooms. Go to the grocery store once a week for 30 minutes.
Too much, my dear. Much too much give your pain score. I suggest you cut back - lose those I've crossed out.
ride peddler 10 minutes 3x day
Squats 5 3x day
Sit on chair bend leg back 5 3x day
Heel slides 5 4 x day
Walked every other day 2½-4½ miles, stopped that because my knee got so tight and painful
I'd suggest you stop doing all these. Your ROM is good and you don't need to. As for the walking, that is FAR too much. Follow the guidelines in here for 6 weeks out Activity progression for TKRs
 
Hello, @Josephine
I have had chronic pain most of my life, started with rheumatic fever when I was 15, then hit by a car. I have neck and back issues, fibromyalgia, Interstiual Cystitis, migraines, neuropothy in feet and lower legs. Went through a period I couldn't walk at all, doctors first diagnosed me with MS then changed to fibromyalgia. I was constantly in the hospital where they had to knock me out because of the pain. Neurologist and family doctor put me on this regiment of fentanyl, tylenol# 3 and Soma, that was ten years ago and haven't had to be in hospital since.

I am a fighter to keep going but I will cut back on my knee exercises and walking. Thank you I am very Grateful for this site and your suggestions!
 
When I saw the miles you were walking along with all the exercises, especially squats, my knees hurt for you. It's just waaaaaay too much for this early in recovery.
 
@KarriB , yes I know really stupid! I was having a really bad day ( depression) my intent was a short walk and I started walking and just kept going. I have to forget what these darn PT have told me!
 
Take a good look at the Activity progression for TKRs and after you spend some time just elevating/icing/resting try to get on that schedule. Little walks are good. I found setting my phone timer for half the distance helped me know when it was time to turn around and head home.
 
My PT wanted me to do squats against the wall. I flat out said No. I remember from my previous PKR I did them once and told them never again! They are the worst :bignono:​
 
I am a fighter to keep going but I will cut back on my knee exercises and walking.
I can fully understand that you've had to with all your issues. But this one is different - the last thing you need to do is adopt a 'fight' mentality about it. Instead be gentle and relaxed. You will get a lot further.

As for the walks, if you plan to go for a 40 minute walk, do remember to turn and come back when you've done 20 minutes! Yes?
 
I used a rolling pin on my sore muscles! :smile2:
 
I tried the rolling pin but it was just too big. Couldn't get into the small muscles on the back of my knee.
 
It's all about pacing yourself as you recover. It's not weak or lazy, it's just the healing process. You'll be back in "fighting form" if you take it bit by bit.
 
Wow Cybil you are on the move. :) I feel it's important to do your exercises...heel slides..and other extension...flexion exercises. I teally feel that your knee is tellng you to slow down. Take it slowly and gradually increase your activity...If it's too much your knee will tell you by swelling, discomfort and/or pain. Listen to it. Be Well.
 
I went for a haircut yesterday, it is my friend that cuts it. So we went in her salon and she has her exercise equipment there and I saw her stationary bike. Thinking I use my little peddler at home I am going to try to see if I can ride the bike. WRONG!! I got on and tried to peddle and screamed, my girlfriend had to get my foot out of the peddle and help me off. So I am here to tell you just because you can use a peddler does not mean you can peddle a bike. Too early for me with a Rom of 90, I came straight home to elavating and ice and that is what I am doing today! I am so mad at myself as I was really following the bonesmart way after expressing my concerns last week. That urge to try just keeps creeping in. But on a happy note my hair looks great!
 
It usually takes a few days of rocking those pedals back and forth before getting a full rotation. I needed that and a little lift of my right hip. :yes:
 
Fresh from the salon hair is the best pick-me-up!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well, now you know. I've used the peddler too and wondered if im ready for a bike. Thanks for letting me know to take it super slow when I do eventually try.
 
Getting our hair done is always a mood lifter!

You can move that peddler closer to you, getting more ROM. But, do it in little teeny increments. You don't want to bend too much, too soon.
 
I use a peddler at home and the pt therapist I previously was going to required I used the stationary bike and it was excruciating. That's why I'm going to new therapist today. I did however go to my gym yesterday and rode the recumbent bike just fine when I slid the seat way back to 10. My goal is to slowly move the seat forward. Good luck to you!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back
Top Bottom