Guest viewing is limited

TKR Concerns LTKR<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@zakmick Aw! Sorry you are suffering with these darn migraines. It has been hot and humid here and that does me in! I have been thinking about trying the daith peircing to see if that works. I really hate losing a whole day or days in bed and then having the hangover effect a couple days after the migraine ! Ugh!

Yes I did schedule a massage she couldn't get me in until Tuesday, can't wait for Tuesday:) I bought one of those bumpy massage tools today so I can try to work on them too.

I will be happy when this knee business is a distant memory too! But then I will have to make a decision about my other knee:( right now I am thinking No!

There is an art fair going on this weekend I am going to try walking around that tomorrow as long as it isn't too hot.

Feel Better! Sending you happy healing thoughts:flwrysmile::friends:
 
I have the daith piercing in my left ear, honestly it's helped with daily headaches but not necessarily the migraines.

Enjoy the art fair!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@zakmick Going for my daith piercing tomorrow at noon, I sure hope it helps with my migraines!
Had a nice time walking around the art fair, didn't buy anything but my friend did. Now I am exhausted already in my pj's with my knee up:)
 
I hope you have success tomorrow from those awful migraines. Enjoy your night!
 
All of a sudden my left knee is now acting up a lot. I know it needs to be done and am so hoping it can wait until next year. My husband gives me the evil eye when I talk about having that one done since I'm still in the throes of this one. I have to be careful what I say so he will forget what we've gone through with the one before I have the next one done LOL
 
How was the piercing? I saw stars there for a few seconds lol.

I am lucky that my left knee is okay for now, initially that was my worst as it was the first one I dislocated which is strange. So feel for you girls having to do it so soon.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Cybil62....I'm writing because it seems to me that you are still having problems with your knee as a result of overdoing things. In another member's thread, you indicated that your walk 5 miles 3-4 times a week with "no problem." Yet you also indicate that your ROM is about 90 where it's been for quite a while and you cannot do rotations on a stationary bike. You also say your knee is stiff a lot of the time.

I have some advice for you that I hope you will try for at least a couple of months.

First, stop walking those distances. Completely stop. Even though you may not feel pain when you do it, it's clearly irritating your knee to the point that you're still swollen (that's what the tightness indicates). Most of the time when you exercise, you don't see or feel the negative results until hours or even days later, so do not use how you feel when you're walking as a measure of whether it's too much or not. Because you are having these problems, I'd confine walking to what you do for activities of daily living and only that. If you must walk outside, make sure it's on a flat surface and only walk for a total of 20 minutes and not a fast walk. Allow yourself walks like this ONLY if you can do it with normal gait motion (no stiff leg and no limping).

With your current ROM, I'm wondering how you are walking. I'm sure you're not using any aids, so what is your gait like? Is it a normal stride with your leg bending and extending normally? I have a feeling it is not and that is very, very bad for you to be going distances with an altered gait. I suggest you make one appointment with a therapist who is qualified to evaluate your gait. Normally people in recovery walk around the house and do turns on the stationary bike early in recovery using a walker as support until they can achieve an normal heel-roll-to-toe gait. Then they start walking without the walker for short distances. From your history, it appears to me you tried to ditch all aids way too early before you had that normal gait. This can result in an improper gait with either a stiffened leg or a limp. Either of these situations will cause more stress to your leg and give you the swelling you're talking about.

As for the bicycle, if your ROM is 90 degrees, you should be able to use it as an exercise tool. Bikes are excellent because you can control the amount of motion completely. Be sure to adjust the seat all the way up or back so you don't need to bend as much to get a full rotation. You can always change the seat setting later as your get more ROM. If even at the highest setting you still cannot do a full rotation, then just rock the pedals back and forth for no more than 5 minutes. Be sure not to overdo this exercise either. It's more for stretch than anything. As you go back and forth eventually you'll find yourself going all the way around. It might take a few days or a week or more but it will come. You might even have to lift your hip on the seat slightly. But you'll do it. Go slow and this will help you.

In reading your entire thread, I can see you have people in your life who are trying to offer help. Ignore them. They aren't you. They haven't had knee replacements. They are not medical professionals. And they don't know what works for this surgery. Just smile and say thanks for caring and go about your business.

You must keep at this slower pace for months. Your other medical conditions such as fibromyalgia mean that you need to take things slower than others may. You've not done that and it's holding you back. If you get frustrated, come here and vent. That's what we're here for and we'll help you through a challenge. But please do stop trying to push your knee so hard.
 
It does feel good to get out and walk, but for right now it's not the best thing for your knee. Do you have somewhere outside to sit? If so try to find a way to prop up that leg outside and take your reading or crochet out there. If you can't prop it up, just sitting outside with your hobbies will be enough.

I began riding my recumbent bike before walking because it was better for my knee. Biking doesn't give the same weight/pressure on your knee as walking does and it can help to loosen up that knee.
 
Cybil, like Jamie, I noticed these comments in your previous posts here in your recovery thread and in other members' threads:
I guess I walked too far again, my muscles in my thigh and lower leg got so tight last night. I tried to massage them but wow did they hurt!
I walk the 5 miles all at once, that is when my knee feels the best. A girlfriend walks with me if she can and if not I force myself to go alone. I just wish I could bend my knee more

So earlier in this thread I advised
As for the walks, if you plan to go for a 40 minute walk, do remember to turn and come back when you've done 20 minutes! Yes?
@Josephine Thank You! I will definitely take your advice. Thank you so much for your input!

But clearly you have not listened to a word any of us has said. I know you are struggling with emotional problems but if you continue this way, you are putting yourself at mega major risk of chronic pain. I think it's time you read this story about a patient I know in real life. It was posted in October 2014 and to my knowledge he is still in serious trouble and wishes he could have his leg amputated. But sadly it won't resolve his pain. PT: the seriously grave consequences of doing too much of it

Jamie said what I said, you have to cut back on your activity as long as this stiff leg continues. Stiffness comes from swelling which in turn comes from doing too much. So take heed while you still can!
Ugh! Really stop walking? it is my sanity. I do admit my knee gets tight afterward
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I also road my recumbent bike long before I started long walks. It I started having some pain, I'd jump on my bike for about 10 minutes, and wa la, the pain would disappear! Try that instead of all that walking.
 
It's hard when you are told the best thing is to cut back on doing something you love to do. I don't love, in fact I don't even much like doing a lot of walking so I haven't been trying much. Just my everyday walking and small trips to the store etc.

My ROM was kinda slow at the beginning and then I cut out all the PT and formal exercising and it definitely increased. I don't know if I would have increased anyway if I had continued the PT but I was more happy not going.

Now I still have a lot of stiffness and that tight band feeling which definitely increases with more activity. It seems to be a vicious cycle - do more and increase stiffness or not as much activity and then I'm a different kind of stiff from not moving as much. It's a quandary for sure.

So now I just do what needs to be done and ride my bike most days. I'm trying to take my mind off my knee and just let what happens happen. And that of course is way easier said than done :sigh:
 
The knee definitely has a line of communication to us, we just need to know it's language.
And as the ladies have said the limited bend and stiffness I would assume is your knee saying step back and give me some loving and rest. You need to work out how things work for you.

I've realised after a day of more activities around the house or long trips doing errands in the car I need that night and the following day to rest. I've been using a diary to write everything and schedule rest and ice time for my knee.

Yourself, flyaway and I are feeling very similar things to each other, so I know emotionally how you're going and understand the frustration.
The other day you walked around the art fair, did you then walk 5miles on top of that? If I'm cleaning the house or need to do grocery shopping I count that as my walk for the day...others may not but I find if I do anything extra I won't sleep from my knee that night.
You have to find a happy medium. Maybe your 5miles is what you aim to do, use it as a goal?
Keep trying with the bike that has helped me with oiling the joint but I can do it daily as I find the leg swells too much, so that activity is every 2-3day.
Big hugs honey x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just checking in on you Cybil? Are you okay??


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Cybil any news from you?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom