THR complications due to dysplasia - who else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh bellaroma you make me :rotfl: what will you do when you have to break it off with Steve... he will be heartbroken.. maybe he can have a little come back for hip #2 (not for the same reason though :)
 
Sooty

Not long now and you will be off your restrictions.... and then July you will be back in OZ :)

Hope you had a nice Christmas and that you will join us for our New Years Eve online party.. I have a tracking map in the social room to check the countdown to NY around the world..

hugs Aussie xx
 
Now Poppet, I am not interested in sharing Steve....even with my Warrior sisters. I'm not that kind of girl :angel:. However, I did ask him if he had any single brothers. He has plenty of them.
 
Damn! I'd never ask you to share Steve. I want my OWN, so send that brother onwards!
Poppet Just 3 days and I have my 6 week appointment, sweet that you remembered. I can't imagine I'll go from 20% to 100% in one go, so I'm preparing mentally for a long rehabilitation. I'm having physio now 2x per week, mainly checking how I use the crutches and myo-fascial massage (ouch!). From next week on it'll get serious, 3x per week. I don't need to go back to work full-time before April, so I'm going to take my time for a full rehabilitation. Which is needed I think, my operated leg has become so thin after 6 weeks restriction, I couldn't stand on it even if I wanted to.
See you all at the New Years Party?
 
Damn!

I have my very own cousin of Steve.... a true officer and a gentlemen... puts my shoes and socks on, takes them off, buys me presents, cooks, cleans.... what more could a girl want.. hands off him ladies!

Ah yes, my beautiful orthopedically sculptured brother of Steve :)
 
I'm so jealous Poppet. I am so happy that your Steve treats you like the Queen you are.
 
Damn!, what, we can't be sister-wives?!?!? Have you checked with Steve? I'm guessing he wouldn't mind. I thought we've bonded so much over the last few months...
:rofsign:
 
OK, the (for me) long-awaited 6 week update.I could hardly contain myself the past few days, literally couldn't wait, had completely had it with the total weight bearing restriction. Now I dare an overview.

To start with
List of (nonweightbearing) irritations(concise, believe me)
1) not being able to climb the stairs more than once a day (just to shower) cause it's a marathon on crutches on 1 leg
2) sleeping in a hospital bed in my living room cause the bedroom is upstairs with tiny scary Dutch staircase
3) peeing in a potty cause the WC is upstairs (next to the shower, see 1)
4) having to ask others to empty my potty cause I can't (see 3)
5) only being able to go outside when someone wants to push my wheelchair (luckily a lot do want to and often enough to ease my cabin fever)
6) watching the operated leg get thinner and thinner, except for the saddlebag which just keeps looking fatter and fatter = majorly deformed leg
7) watching the operated leg get thinner and thinner, knowing I would really need it's strength to rehabilitate once I got a green light and having to accept it was all going to take a very long time indeed
8) ESPECIALLY not being able to carry a cup of liquid. A simple, small thing that is the MOST irritating. I won’t even begin to bore you with the ways I’ve invented to tranfer liquids from the kitchen to the table or my bed, suffice to say there have been a number of nasty accidents. And swearing/laughing fits from both me and roommate (roommate after the fact = cleaning up mess)

6 weeks promotion to 50% weight bearing
So obviously things are going in the right direction according to my OS. Who I have never had any real rapport with, but especially after our 6 week ‘date’. The whole appointment felt like a major brush-off. He left me waiting for 30 min, came in and told me the above, I said I had some questions and he said ‘you always do, keep it quick please’. My boyfriend was with me this time and I saw him almost smile but he knew if he did openly that smile would be brutally wiped off his face 20 min later….

I mentioned my concerns about the other hip and what I could do to prevent a replacement (the dysplasia was only made known to me the day before the operation, is in both hips but the left has given me no trouble) and he said ‘You’re no longer jogging? Then there’s nothing more you can do than that’. Grrrr. I’m SO booking a double appointment over 6 weeks! Time enough for OS for all my annoying questions…..

I received (bought for 15 euros) a CD rom with all my x-rays. You can see in the X-rays post-opthat the prosthetic acetabular cup is sort of sticking out of my pelvis (not covered with bone), with a screw to keep it in place. This is, so I was told, the reason for all the (continuing) restrictions.

[Bonesmart.org] complications due to dysplasia - who else?


[Bonesmart.org] complications due to dysplasia - who else?


PT indication = focus purely on learning to walk (on crutches) and strengthening muscles to stabilise joint. Absolutely NO ROM excercises and continuance of the 90 deg. restriction. Next appointment in 6 weeks time. Might be promoted to 1 crutch, or a brother of Steve Damn! ?

It’s going to be a LONG TIME before I’m walking independantly agian, but I am simply very very happy to be able to put weight on my leg without fear, insecurity or guilt. As I did do it secretly a couple of times the past 2 weeks, just to see how it felt or if I could. I feel like I may have my leg back, all for myself!

Josephine I don’t want to bug you unnecessarily but if you look at my x-rays, do I also have dysplasia in the left hip? My OS just seems to avoid the whole question, he’s concerned with the 1 bad hip and not the other. Like – if it’s not hurting, we’re not worried about it. But I’d so like to be able to do something before it gets as bad as the other one. Or at least know if there’s anything I CAN do? That’s less invasive than a THR? Looking at the X-rays it seems as if the right side is worse (in terms of deformity) than the left? But who am I to interpret X-rays? The more I look, the more both sides look different toe each other. I do have arthritis is the left, but non-active (OS says).

Thanks already, next report in 6 weeks…
 
Wow... your OS is such a (dutch?) cheeseball! When I told my guy I had questions at 6 weeks (I had not asked him anything up til then I was in such shock) he sat down on the bed and said: 'fire away.' I fear most are probably poor communicators like yours. Sorry about the potty thing, I did it for a bit, it rather 18th century...but better than bobbing down behind a bush. You and Tammy are stars in our firmament-- long waits to weight bear but boy, when you do, you girls go. And you will soon bulk up your 'manky' leg. Mine looked like yours sounds and I am already making progress. My butt is rounding slightly, can't quite bounce a nickel off it but it feels a wee bit better. Its slow like a snail but it comes. Congratulations on putting your foot down Sooty -- in more ways than one.
 
Way to go Sooty! It was a day of celebration here when I was able to use my free hand to carry my own coffee cup. I borrowed my grandson's BatMan thermos and put my drinks in it, then would put that in the pocket of my bathrobe and crutch to wherever I needed to go. Got the job done.

I can sympathize with you as to the loss of muscle tone in the legs. By the time I got off the wb restrictions, my right leg was a mess. All the walking that Steve and I are doing are helping to rebuild the muscle. Wall squats are also a big help in rebuilding strength.

BTW: Steve told me to tell you that he has tons of brothers....let him know when you are ready and he will fix you up.
 
After seeing your decorated wheelchair, I worry that Steve might be too straight for you! How about his more exciting cousin Mario?
[Bonesmart.org] complications due to dysplasia - who else?
 
Apparantly a lot of specialists are like my OS - not really people people. But he is a reknowned one here for being technically good, and hey I wasn't looking for a friendly chit-chat on the operating table :)

Well, I've already overdone it with my lifted restrictions - the hip is fine but the calf muscle of the operated leg is spasming. Can't take the new activity. What is best for this (besides rest) - ice or heat? HELP!
 
Aw Sooty, I'm sorry your adventure ended this way Cold helps reduce pain and inflammation, warmth increases circulation and loosens muscles. Try massaging it...and eat a banana. Potassium helps relieve spasms.
 
Vida thanks for the tip! It's not too bad, I was expecting worse after all my walking around yesterday. I'd massage it if I could do it without breaking the 90 deg rule! I'll try a warmthpack and maybe some icecream for balance :wink:
 
Jeesh, I was hoping someone else could massage it for you! And you're right, ice cream is way better than banana. I have been awake since 4 and am not thinking straight......
 
So obviously things are going in the right direction according to my OS. Who I have never had any real rapport with, but especially after our 6 week ‘date’. The whole appointment felt like a major brush-off. He left me waiting for 30 min, came in and told me the above, I said I had some questions and he said ‘you always do, keep it quick please’. I mentioned my concerns about the other hip and what I could do to prevent a replacement (the dysplasia was only made known to me the day before the operation, is in both hips but the left has given me no trouble) and he said ‘You’re no longer jogging? Then there’s nothing more you can do than that’. Grrrr. But I’d so like to be able to do something before it gets as bad as the other one. Or at least know if there’s anything I CAN do? That’s less invasive than a THR?
Yes, well some of these chaps tend to be like that. You went to him with a specific issue and he's dealt with it. A second issue is not in the 'contract'! But I can tell you why he avoided it - because it's a question without an answer. Anyone who could come up with even a smidgen of it would get a Nobel prize!
Josephine, I don’t want to bug you unnecessarily but if you look at my x-rays, do I also have dysplasia in the left hip? My OS just seems to avoid the whole question, he’s concerned with the 1 bad hip and not the other. Like – if it’s not hurting, we’re not worried about it.
Well again, that's about the size of it. I've seen xrays that were 'oh gor blimey' and yet the patient was walking around and able to function really well. On the other hand, patients with no discernible damage on their xrays seem to be in acute pain and disability. You can never tell.

But I have this comment to make about your xray (which I have edited to provide discretion): there are three points where your hip is showing signs of wear
Blue and yellow points there are osteophytes (bone spurs) and at the red there is bone on bone with changes consistent with arthritis. The rest of the joint though looks in great shape and normal.

[Bonesmart.org] complications due to dysplasia - who else?
 
Josephine thanks so much! So you can't see any sign of dysplasia? My OS said my hip sockets were 'square' and that was probably the cause of my arthritis.

Vida I can't find my heat pack but have already begun the ice cream treatement (cookie dough mmmmmm)
 
Well, slightly. But there's a good joint space and the head is spherical.
 
Sooty, Congradulations on 50% WB, try to not over do it. When restrictions were lifted I wanted to try everything at once and boy was I hurting a few days after.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom