THR complications due to dysplasia - who else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm now 2.5 weeks on, not too much pain (just a bit stiff, and some back ache), getting more mobile and handy but the weight-bearing restriction is driving me NUTS! :gaah: Not being able to 'try out' the new hip is so frustrating - like having a new car you're not allowed to drive ;-) I feel like I'm just dragging my hip/leg along behind me, it doesn't feel like part of me at all.
Had a major case of the blues early this week, but after a trip outside in my wheelchair and some visits from friends I'm feeling more positive. I'm so used to being extremely active (I teach high school art and also art college) and I'm missing work a bit. The company doctor called today, said I shouldn't expect to be back teaching until April. That was a bit of a wake-up call! Time to take the whole 'patience thing very seriously.
Luckily PT is coming to my home tomorrow to see what can do in terms of exercise without putting weight on the leg.
I'm also having trouble sleeping, just lie in bed staring at the ceiling. No pain, just unable to fall asleep. Despite sleeping pills. I sleep a couple of hrs and am awake again. Is this normal? It's starting to wear me out....
 
HI Sooty,
I too had trouble sleeping, i'm at 6+ weeks now, and just this past week i have been able
to say that I have slept better. I think our body is still in shock to what it had been thru!!!
Don't worry about it, take some cat naps if you can during the day, and as time goes on
the sleep will get better. I was able to discontinue my night time cocktail of aspirin, iron,colace
etc this past week, so that may have helped. But, i am finding i can get a little sleep on my sides,
something i haven't been able to do for over 2 years due to my hip issues.
Hang in there, you're doing well, and very soon you will start seeing some great
gains, and things will be looking a lot more positive. We have all been there!
(yea, the blues suck, not that i have been pleasant to live with the past year in
all that pain, but, this was different)

:sleep:
 
Thanks for the support! :) It's snowing and dark here in Holland, probably the best time of year to nap during the day. I'll see if that works today - I'm not a big sleeper during the day at the best of times.
 
Hi there fellow Aussie..... Sooty

Just catching up on new members after being AWL for a few days :)

Yes, the sleeping pattern you are describing is pretty normal.. you have to take your naps when ever and where ever you can.

A very close member friend said to me in the early days of my recovery, which was very rocky...

'Recovery from a THR is a marathon not a sprint and slow and steady wins the race'

I am 12 months post and still consider myself recovering, I set my complete recovery timeframe at 2 years, so I figure by that calculation I am 50% recovered... but... I have the 'forgotten hip' that we all aim for and have taken up Nordic Walking! and loving every minute of it.

Patience is the key, even at my stage.. and some days when I test my boundary, it might give me what I refer to as an 'ouch event'.. but I ease back and take it easy and soon, I am back on track :)

Once again, welcome Sooty, I will be following your journey closely.. love it when another Aussie joins the forum !
 
I love Holland.. we lived in the UK for a while and used to pop over to Europe nearly every weekend :)
 
Hi Poppet, I just hope I'm recovered enough for the planned visit back home in July. It's a long flight Amsterdam>Brisbane even with no physical problems. Will I be setting off the alarm when going through customs? That would be cool...... but probably smart to bring some evidence that I have a prosthetic?
 
Yes, you will be ok to travel by then I would think.. we had a member do a very long haul flight literally weeks after her THR.

Definitely bring evidence of your prostheses and yes, you will most likely set off the alarm.. our immigration and border protection dept are getting quite strict, so don't be surprised if they pull you aside if the alarm goes off.. no biggie though!

Is there anyway you can break the journey, or do you already have your ticket?
 
Tickets are already booked, we're flying Emirates via Dubai (in the new Airbus). It's pretty much a direct flight, I think 3hr stop. I generally prefer to do it in one go. Just curious how that will go with a new hip. I have managed it a few times with the old painful hip without too many problems, good pain killers help a lot hey?
 
I think by July, you will be just fine :)

Emirates is a great airline! Excellent service, they will look after you :)

If you are going to carry pain meds, definitely make sure you have a letter from your treating Doctor over there as evidence to carry on board and back into OZ and also a record of what pain meds and treating protocols.. you will be fine....
 
That's a good tip, thanks Poppet!
 
No problem.. do you know how to tag me?

You type the @ sign and immediately start typing my user name poppet (no spaces) and you will see it display below the open posting box on the left hand side, just hit enter and it will populate my user name and I will get an alert and come visit your thread... want to give it a try?
 
Way to go Sooty.. Perfect :)

I am going to log off now, it is 6:58 pm Friday where I am..about to have a roast that I have had cooking... take care and will post some more with you over the weekend.. hugs xx
 
Enjoy your roast!
 
Have no idea what I did.. I thought the chicken was cooked.. Did all the veggies and greens and went to carve the chicken and it wasn't cooked through... Da!

Hugs
 
I understand what you mean about going crazy with the restrictions Sooty, I have been 50% weight bearing since 10/26 due to a fracture during the surgery, and guess what I got a new car in November and have only been able to drive it 3 times for about a mile at a time. So..:hissy:
 
bellaroma Poppet I just have so little pain and am dying to be able to walk again, I can't believe I have to wait 4 more weeks! My restriction is 10% - 20%, so I'm only allowed to 'tap' the foot on the ground. The only weight allowed is the weight of the leg itself. Every single activity takes soooo long! I cooked for the first tiime today for myself = soup. With the help of my flatmate getting pans out of cupboards etc. and a stool to sit on in the kitchen. I still need to get myself organised enough to eat it, but hey I'm getting pretty self-sufficient now!
The whole weight bearing restriction makes me nervous, as if the prosthese is delicately nestling in my joint, needs to be gently nurtured and can't handle any pressure otherwise it will crack or something. Which may be true? Otherwise I wouldn't have the restriction....but I just want my leg back. And to be able to carry a cup from one room to another.
I had PT today at home, she gave me a number of tiny excercises I can do to keep my body supple until I can start with the real rehab (back & stomach). But you're pretty limited with a WB restriction. Just have to sit down, chill out and wait it out hey? :umm:
I did go out today in my wheelchair, ploughing through the snow to the grocery store with my flatemate. It was fun! I'm also really loving all the visits - friends are looking after me well, cooking for me in the evenings. Because I have nothing to do myself and nowhere to go the next day, I'm really enjoying the contact to the max.
I'm just not very patient, am sleeping badly and desperately want to take my new hip out for a spin!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] complications due to dysplasia - who else?
    IMG_5567 (800x600).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 147
Poppet how could that happen? You sounded like a roast veteran? But chicken is a cheeky one. I haven't done a roast in years, in Holland it's more mash-things. But I love cooking, am more from the Italian/Asian approach.
 
Hi sooty, loved the photo, you are very pretty.. Your friend had excellent control of your wheel chair.. Glad it was a nice outing for you, good for the soul!

Patience, patience, patience my honey.. Four weeks out of your lifetime with you new hip and all the adventures you are going to take it on is a drop in the bucket!

The prostheses I.e the ball, will not crack or crumble from memory you have ceramic.. Remember ceramic is made, especially for prostheses are made under strict conditions of firing the ceramic and is much, much stronger than a ceramic plate, disk etc.. I too have ceramic..

Look at the four weeks to still go on with restrictions as a fun thing.. Whilst the muscle are getting each day and the soft tissue..

Hugs xx
 
Hi Sooty, you sound like you have some great friends around you to help. I love the picture of you out and about in your wheel chair. It looks very cold! I'm really glad that I'm having my THR done in summer (hopefully next month), I figure less clothes to have to worry about taking on & off! I also hate the cold.

The non-weight bearing issue sounds very frustrating, as does the not being able to sleep. This is one thing that is worrying me, lack of sleep and having to sleep on my back.

Best wishes from a Kiwi!
Diane
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom