Guest viewing is limited

THR complications due to dysplasia - who else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poppet Not ceramic but metal ball in plastic cup with metal outer. And the problem is the cup fitting in my acetabulum (ie. it didn't). They screwed it in but the bone needs to grow around and into it, apparantly. And my bone is also apparantly very thin. So I'm more worrying about that cracking than the prosthese. I just have to trust my OS I guess... he's known as being good but very conservative, so I'm trying not to stress too much, he knows what he's doing.
I had a delicious homemade (by myself on one leg!) yellow capsicum soup with thyme for dinner, tomorrow my boyfriend is turning up for the weekend with his kids, we'll be celebrating Dutch Xmas together (Sinterklaas 5 Dec). The kids are dying to run me around in the wheelchair (omg), for the rest I'm just going to let myself be spoiled this weekend!
 
[Bonesmart.org] complications due to dysplasia - who else?
Well, Diane there's no need to worry about the lack of sleep and having to sleep on your back. You just deal with them after your surgery. And they are both only temporary after all. The results make it worth the inconveniences.
[Bonesmart.org] complications due to dysplasia - who else?
octopus
 
octopus Good luck! Getting a date is the first hurdle. Then you just have to go with the flow.....
 
bellaroma I think I need to put padding on me! The kids LOVE all my orthopaedic 'toys', they've spent much time instructing me on how to use everything. They were especially in love with my crutches, so cute how they showed me how to use them! I had to hide the 'grabber' from them or it would already be broken. And they had a whole evening of fun with the sock-puller-on - which I've never used, **** thing!
 
Hang in there Sooty, you will be weightbearing before you know it. Just this week, (week 4) was I allowed to go to 50% wb. I went back to work with the 10-20% wb restrictions. I used my handy-dandy backpack for everything. You will be amazed at how creative you will become with this restriction. Around the house, I wear a bathrobe with big, deep pockets and have stuffed all kinds of things in there....my sandwhich, a travel mug of coffee, soda, etc.

Just let me know if you run into any problems. I have gotten quite proficient on these things and have already worn out two sets of the rubber tips.

Tammy
 
@damn I've got the bathrobe pocket thing happening big time! It's amazing what you can stuff in there if you try. The travel mug has also become my best friend....
 
I even wear the bathrobe over my regular clothes when I am home. I don't have anything else that has such large pockets. One pocket will hold my cell phone, Kindle and a sandwhich in a zip-loc bag. While the other pocket holds a Bat Man thermos. The breast pocket holds some chocolate Dove squares, chapstick and a kleenex or two.
 
Damn! I am embarassed to admit that I hung a strong plastic bag around my neck while on crutches and stuck my grabber through the belt of my fluffy robe like a sword -- just gorgeous. Sooty I was 50 percent for 6 weeks and I thought it would never end. Now I've graduated to Attempting To Walk 101, the next phase of the journey. Stay strong..the great people that hang out here are so wonderfully encouraging, they certainlygave me a big dose of confidence when I thought I would never make it. I haven't looked back
 
My 4 1/2 week update - the weightbearing restriction is driving me spare! Luckily only 12 more days to go 'til my 6 week appointment. I can't imagine I'll be allowed directly from 10-20% to 100%, I have almost no muscle tone left in the operated leg, it's going to be a looong rehabilitation!!! pfff. Get a tiny bit jealous reading about others progress, whilst I'm watching my operated leg get thinner and thinner from disuse. Oh well, it's a comfort to know you can get it back alomst as quickly as you lose it?

I AM sleeping a bit better, less discomfort in the hip and a little less trouble with energy drain. But that still comes and goes, each day seems different.

Question - my operated leg has had the past few days a noticeably different colour to the other leg - darker/pinker. It's getting more and more prominent. The skin is also more 'shiny'. Also the area around the scar is feeling more & more bruised, but you can't really see anything. It's still really swollen. Is this all normal? Seems like all the 'damage' from within is working it's way to the surface?

My hip doesn't hurt much, just still feels very foreign as I'm not allowed to use it yet.

MERRY XMAS and a HIPPY NEW YEAR to all! Enjoy your holidays! :yahoo:
 
Hi Sootie

I can identify. Its 10 days since my restrictions were lifted, I was also going nuts. I went from 50 to 100 and even so have found it tough sledding. Yesterday I went to the pool for some gentle cycling, then went out for a too long lunch. Sat way too long. Last night was the first time I haven't slept at all and today is so sore that I am staying put and have upped my meds. I have already edited my PT because the abduction exercises hurt too much. We get great advice here about keeping ahead of the pain and taking it slow but every case is different, so its a challenge. Those of us who have been restricted have a longer hill but I constantly have to remind myself that it isn't a race. So, it helps to expect some bad days along with the good as we move forward. BTW, I'd say my leg probably looks the same colour as yours!

Despite everything, getting back on your (wobbly) feet is huge and if you are more sensible than me you will have fabulous muscle tone by the time Europe gets a bit of sun.

Happy holiday......
 
Hi Sooty, Hopefully those 12 days will go quick. I was 50% WB for 7 1/2 weeks and I was coing crazy, and I still have to use 1 crutch as it takes some time to switch to the full weight bearing. Others like Tammy, Damn!, were put on 50% for a week after and the WB as tolerated, It does take some time, don't make the mistake I made as soon as he told me I could WB, I went all around trying to test my leg, just ended up in pain, slow and steady wins the race. Happy Holidays
 
Hi Vida, it really sucks doesn't it! I'm trying to be very ZEN about it all, but deep down I'm sick to death of it. I'm on a toe-tapping restriction (10-20%). What can you do with 50%? What can I look forward to? :beg:

I can't sit any longer than a meal at home at the dining table, need to lie down straight afterwards. Pretty limiting. I can't wait to get a bit more mobile and energetic!
 
Hi Sooty,

With 50% wb, you are essentially walking normally but still using both crutches. You will find that you can get around quite a bit faster. From there, it will be 75%, which is walking with one crutch on your non-operated side. This will allow those leg muscles to start to strengthen gradually. Hang in there my friend, better days will be here before you know it.

Tammy
 
Are you off all restrictions now Tammy? And how's it going?
 
No ma'am...still have my restrictions for another 6 weeks. The doctor took my 1 crutch away yesterday and provided me with a cane instead....
 
Hope that's going OK and you're feeling like you're progressing and getting stronger? Cause those weeks of restriction sure do weaken those muscles don't they? My legs really are starting to look quite different from each other.
 
Had to laugh about the leg comment. Both my knees are swollen and my thighs are floppy even though I exercised to prepare for THR, well as best I could. But I am older than you and the flabs are harder to tighten. The hospital PT made me stand on a scale to see what bearing 50 percent of my weight felt like, which helped. Patience grasshopper, every move forward is a plus, no matter what... you will do really well. x .
 
Read your update on your thread Tammy, go gentle on Steve OK? I hope I get a hot date with a cane soon! :wink:

Thanks Vida for the support. I sometimes can't believe how much this forum is helping me get through this, it's really wonderful. I've spent hours reading threads, help you get things in perspective.
 
Sooty, Steve can take it! I think he likes it rough :giggle:. Besides, who wants a man who can't take it when things get tough. I will admit though, it is the first time I have ever been out on a date with a man so much shorter than me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom