Guest viewing is limited

THR complications due to dysplasia - who else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I’ve been offline for a while, have been having a bit of a tough time with this extensive rehab period of mine. I had quite a meltdown a couple of months ago, the prolonged forced lack of activity and our prolonged icy winter here in the Netherlands pushed me into quite a depression. I’ve been paddling hard to keep my head above water. My boyfriend eventually plucked me out of my house and took me home with him to look after me. Just for a few days a week, but it made all the difference. I really needed a change of scene.

Thank you all so much for your wonderful words of support. Poppet C Mac, Vida Davefd Damn! Even though I’m letting you know a little late, it’s really appreciated.

I’m now 4 months post op. And still on crutches pffff. 4 weeks ago I had an appointment with my OS, the X-rays were fine (prostheses still in the right place) and I was promoted to 100% weight bearing. BUT still no ROM exercises permitted and still needing to maintain the 90 deg rule. OS is being very careful with his handiwork. The goal? According to my OS, just to learn to walk without crutches. So that’s what I’ve been doing the past 4 weeks. After 3 months not fully weight bearing, my operated leg was very weak. The PT is intense, exhausting, sometimes a bit painful afterwards, but I’m moving forward much faster than I’ve been used to the past months and that has provided me with a light at the end of the rehabilitation tunnel. I’m now moving around the house on 1 crutch, taking walks outside on 2 crutches 20 min per day, last week I went to the PT practice for the first time instead of having PT at home (is 8 min walk from my house), today I walked to the grocery store for the first time (12 min, but came back in the wheelchair pushed by flatmate). I’m physically broadening my raduis of action!

A week ago, just before going to bed, I took my first full steps without crutches, without pain and without limping. Suddenly I could, I was euphoric! The next day I couldn’t do it anymore, but it gave me a taste of the future. I AM getting stronger each day.

I’m so hoping to be walking without crutches, and without pain, within 4 weeks. Then I have my first ‘date’ at school (my workplace) with the work doctor and my boss. We’ll be looking at how I can reintegrate this year. I probably won’t be getting back into any real teaching until next school year. I haven’t been at work since early November; lots of colleagues have come visiting and lots of pupils have mailed, but I expect it will be emotional just to be physically back at work.

Next appointment with OS is in 2 months, hopefully the x-rays are still showing stability in the prostheses and I’ll be freed of all restrictions. And by then I’ll be much more mobile. I hope so, ‘cause I’ve got a trip to London planned early May!

I’ve often wondered what it is I’ve learned from this experience. One of you mentioned once ‘patience’, but I don’t feel like I’ve learned that at all! I think I know now – I’ve learned to finally, gracefully, accept help from others. That was a big one for me. It’s kept my relationship intact through all of this.

Thank you all again for all your support,

Love from Faith
 
Hi Sooty... I have been wondering what had happened to my O/S Aussie girl..

I think your O/S is Soooo wise.. Frustrating for you, but you are going to have a very good long term result with your THR. My Aussie O/S is exactly the same..

Sorry you had a serious case of the blues.. This is life changing surgery in may different ways for different folk, but in the end it will give you a new, magical quality of life..

I have to smile sometimes because my THR hip feels far more normal than my native hip on the other side..

A trip to London in May sounds wonderful and good timing for you..

Take care and lovely to get an update from you

Hugs from down under xx
 
Hi Faith

It's good to hear from you. I'm so sorry you have been havung such a hard time. It sounds like there's a few good things starting to happen, like taking those few steps. I hope things continue to improve now you are able to bear some weight.

Have been thinking about you. Best wishes
Diane
 
Aw Faith, I assumed it was something like that...I am so sorry to hear you have been going through a rough time. Your SO sounds like an amazing person, a real keeper. I have to think we are supposed to learn something big about ourselves through experiences like this... and it sounds like you have. I am waaaay older than you, so I can say with certainty that this will be but a brief blip in your life. It always seems like the end of the world at the time but in retrospect dealing with setbacks is just something we pass through. Not much comfort right now I know but things will be fabulous for you in just a few more months. Your recovery has been longer and more difficult than most, which is tough to take. But being able to walk again, ride your bike, teach your students and live pain-free with a terrific person is worth the wait. Hang in there and bask in all the love, affection and support coming your way. You do deserve it.
 
Hi Faith,

It's so nice to hear from you and to know that you are making such strides of progress. I'm sorry for the time you spent treading water and trying to keep your head above the depression, we were thinking of you and maybe that helped to buoy you up some in addition to that lovely boyfriend and his real-life help!!

Funny what you mentioned about patience coming from this THR experience, I didn't learn it either!! Gracefully learning to accept help is a big one for strong and independent women, that's a good lesson to have gotten some practice in and quite humbling as well.

Good luck with the upcoming work meeting, I'm sure you'll make a list of items that will be of importance to you at your stage of recuperation in order to advocate for yourself.

Onward you go!! :thumb:
Take care,
Cardie
 
Hey there Faith- It sure sucks you had a rough go of the recovery process and sorry to hear that- but glad to hear you are at least progressing forward! (albeit slowly)-

Hmm- and patience- you know what I found out about that- THR recovery only serves to try your patience, certainly not teach it!:wink:

My ups and downs finally leveled out, and things kind started to 'click' a little after 4 mos here- hence why I'm not here on the forums as much lately, and the delayed post- (so things are good, tho I still have some muscular kinks being worked out w/ PT and think I'm still trying to shake the 'funk' of the last 4-5 mos of recovery- think I still got some residual 'looney' that's sticking around:rolleyes:)

as with the rest of your 'fan club' here, sending you best wishes
d
 
Hi Faith, great to see you posting again. I'm so sorry to hear that you have had such a rough time if it lately but it's good to see that you seem to be finally coming to the end of that dark tunnel and into the light :) Try to remember that the reason you are still dependent on crutches is because of the long NWB time you have spent. That certainly has a huge impact on our recovery. I was NWB for six weeks then partial for another few weeks and I was still using crutches for a good couple of months after. You will be rid them eventually, congrats on the litte walk independantly, that must have felt great. It shows that things are improving, slowly but surely.


You are on the way up now and will see big improvements week by week.

Take care

Ann
 
Davefd Anniepops thanks for your support!

I'm kind of in the middle of the intensive PT thing at the moment, each session new exercises added, absolutely mess afterwards but a few days afterwards I do notice I'm getting stronger. So I keep at it. I'm a bit sick of all the muscle pain that goes along with this process; even though I know it's all part of the deal, it's sometimes hard to stay positive. Last night I couldn't sleep from the pain and finally succumbed to painkillers. Was advised to try not to use them so I could hear my body clearly during this rehab phase. It's not even the hip - it's my back and my right shoulder (impingement). My butt wants to walk but the rest can't keep up the pace! :dancy:

Milestone today: almost didn't use any crutches at all in the house today, without limping too badly. Climbed the stairs the first time without crutches (giving the railing a warm hug though). Off to bed now with a painkiller, tomorrow PT and we'll see how things pan out. It's SO one day at a time hey?

I had a friend visiting today, when I sat down my chair creaked and she nearly had a heart attack - she thought I'd busted my hip. Her freaking freaked me out. But by god did we laugh afterwards. That's what friends are for? :friends:

Take care y'all!
 
Sooty
Yes I have the same thing. I think my hip is really hurting and then I realize it's my good hip. I guess overuse. I have a bad shoulder too, that has been caused by my work over the years but some things you learn to ignore and live with I guess. I know I couldn't ignore my hip when I finally decided on hip replacement. I'm seeing my physiatrist on Monday I think I will ask him about getting injections in one or both of my joints to see if they can be calmed down or just a good massage may do the trick. My knees are good thank goodness! So it could be worse.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom