Revision THR Complex surgery with revisions, infection, sepsis, and more…

@Jamie Oh thank you, Jamie!! I realized I would have to take a drive up to Phoenix earlier in the year when I couldn't get any local drs to at least speak with me honestly. I drove the big truck out of a Phoenix terminal so I am very familiar with the drive up there. It will also give me a chance to stop and visit with some Phoenix friends, now that the heat has been turned down a bit, lol.
I will call Dr Chow and see if they accept my insurance and if they do I am extremely eager to hear another dr's opinion on what is going on!

I see my surgeon on the 4th and I would like to hear what he says but I also want a different surgeon's opinion especially before anyone comes near me with a sharp instrument. lol.
Gosh, my photos didn't upload, I'll give it another shot.

Thank you again, Jamie. Thank you everyone.
 
@Jamie Holy Cow, Jamie! Been reading up on him and Dr Chow sounds FANTASTIC! I really do hope I can get in to see him!
 
Hanger hip abduction brace. (what did I get myself into?)
[Bonesmart.org] Complex surgery with revisions, infection, sepsis, and more…
 
That's quite the contraption!! You have to plan bathroom trips a half hour in advance! But if it helps you, wear it in good health! I’m waiting for someone to come up with a gizmo you can pin on your waist that would give you a tiny “zap” if you came close to breaking the hip precautions. Someone could make a gazillion dollars from all us hippies.
 
Oh my Danelady!!....When you said you were getting a brace I didn't imagine it would look like that!!
I have been following your posts with interest and also with shock because of what you are going through.
Sending lots of healing thoughts and I hope you get some answers and support. Take care..xx
 
Thanks so much ! I just don't think I can do this, I never imagined the brace would be this...this....horrible!. For one thing, I have really bad claustrophobia, I can't even watch other people get tied up when watch my favorite true crime shows. I took the brace off and I can't bring myself to put it back on so I sit on my bed or the recliner and slouch backwards to keep the ball in the socket. Why couldn't my dr explain how the hip is dislocating? The gentleman who took my measurements for the brace explained it in detail and it made plenty of sense....especially since I remember exactly how I was sitting when they all happened.


Can't wait to call the surgeon that Jamie recommended to me....an orthopedic surgeon AND an engineer who does adult hip reconstruction. Sounds right up my alley!
 
@Pumpkin Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!
I just read, well I tried to read, your post 'THR, pelvis position and spine fusion'. Of course, most of it went over my head but it seemed to present a possible explanation as to why my surgeon said I might need to change the angle of my acetabular component. I had a spinal fusion exactly 3 years after my THR and 2 years before aseptic loosening and bone loss caused my acetabular component to push thru my pelvis.

My spine surgeon never mentioned I had serious osteoporosis which is what my current surgeon said caused my first revision to fail, but then I really have no idea how long it takes osteoporosis to become 'serious'.
I have so many questions but I find it difficult to trust the answers I get from some drs.

Thank you for posting this, Pumpkin.
 
@danelady I'm sorry you're unable to tolerate the brace but please, please be extra careful. I had a brace at one time before my spine surgery, it was miserable and nothing as large as yours.

Hoping you can get in to see Dr Chow and he turns out to be the one with the fix. Keeping you in my thoughts, sending good mojo and cyber hugs. :fingersx: :praying::console2:
 
That is a heck of a brace. But if it keeps you safe, you really need to try and wear it when you can until you can get an appointment with Dr. Chow....glad you liked him. Actually it is quite common for orthopedic surgeons to start out with an undergraduate degree in engineering. When you think about it, orthopedics is "engineering" in a way....just on us humans. But an understanding and interest in how things work is what drives most of these great doctors.

I just attended a hip conference virtually the past couple of days and there was a lot of discussion among the surgeons about the relationship of the spine and hip functions. More is being learned about this relationship and the impact that all the spinal fusions that seem to be done these days can have on hip replacements. So....you may just be a "cutting edge" patient.

Be sure and tell Dr. Chow that you're a BoneSmartie! He might not remember me as we participated in a couple of JRADs together about 5 years ago. But he'll know BoneSmart.
 
Aww danelady, I am not going to lie, that does look cumbersome and uncomfortable. I am so sorry you have to go through this. I hope you can tolerate this brace until you're able to find someone you trust and have confidence in to get this right once and for all. I am praying for your patience and I admire that you're able to keep your sense of humor through all of this. You've been through a lot and I know many here are rooting for you and will continue to support and encourage you until the concern of dislocation is less of a threat. Hugs :console2: :prayer:
@danelady
 
Once again, thank you all. I'll call Dr Chow a little later....I figure people and businesses have lots to catch up on first thing Monday mornings.

I'm trying to figure out how to leave more than a 'like' after everyone's comments. A friendly heart and in some instances a funny face...like for @lanstan. Thanks, lanstan, ain't been called cute in a long time. Lol.

2 days ago was my latest revision's 2 month anniversary. I had hoped to be doing so much better by now, but all those dislocations just kept pushing my recovery backwards. But, hard as it is for me, I refuse to give up.
See, I haven't sold my metal detector yet but I came awful close and as tax time draws near I am reminded that last year my tax lady wanted me to sell it to her ASAP! The day I was to meet her I woke up unable to move my 'good' arm, I guessed it was tendonitis from using the walker for so long and leaning on that side, so I never sold it. It makes me sad to see it gather dust as it sits in the corner, but it's also a reminder that I was once healthy, strong, active and eager to go on an adventure at the drop of a hat.

Once again thank you. Don't forget to keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.
 
@Elf1

Um, Elf1, I just noticed you had a L5-S1 fusion just like me.....
Have you heard about what problems this could possible cause? This is the first I heard of it.
 
@Layla
No Layla. I hold it down for a while too, even tried it on my phone but no go.
 
Hmm, let me think about this for a minute...Let's see if our tech savvy colleague has any suggestions.
@Roy Gardiner
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom