Guest viewing is limited

THR Completed on June 14, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad to hear you are doing well. You sound busy, but manageable busy, if that makes sense. You'll get on the bike when you are good and ready, I am sure of it. Sorry about feeling disabled, but you are not disabled, you are just still adjusting. Your surgery was in the middle of June, which really was not that long ago when you think about it. ...and remember what it says at the end of my post. It is not yet the end (of your healing). Take care Elle
 
Hi Elle, lovely to get an update from you, we miss you. But I do understand with such ling working hours seven days a week it is important to spend your spare energy on your recovery, which I think by the way is going very well..

I wish you much happiness, gentle lady :)
 
Hi Elle,

Your update sounds fantastic!! :thumb: In a few more months you won't feel as achey and creaky after sitting for long periods of time, that does abate some -- until then, keep moving around. It's wise not to do too much heavy lifting for this first year out. I had trouble for a while with carrying two full grocery bags in from the house -- I'd limp more and it felt uncomfortable. That also improves with time, and I do also have a strong upper body -- the load rests on our pelvis though.

I bet that your courage for the bicycle will return in time, go with your intuitive feelings about it until your confidence level feels right. In the meantime you could try stationary bike just for the motion -- maybe you could wake up at 2 a.m. :rotfl:

Totally kidding on that wake up time... You sound as if you have a wonderful morning routine all set and then a full work day. I'd suggest going with a wind down after all that instead of trying to fit in another round of PT, yoga or physical stuff. You gotta stop and smell the roses, make some dinner and get ready for tomorrow -- plus your peaceful meditation time.

Glad to know that you are sleeping better, I'm sure that is a huge relieve & recharger.
Take care & keep in touch as you continue to reach those milestones,
Cardie
 
Hello lovely people,

I am almost at the three month mark. Last week I put in 60 plus hours in just five days and my hip didn't notice a thing! I was herding 11 year-olds like a young sheep dog! I feel so grateful. One thing I feel is important are those PT exercises...yes, even the ankle wiggles. It is a good way to warm up for other exercises.

Thank you Dorothy, Cardie , Sandy and Cathy for cheering me on!

Yes, you are right, Cardie and Cathy, I will get on that bike when my body tells me I can.

Meanwhile, on a Sunday night, I am still giving myself permission to crash out on the sofa with a dish of my amazing homemade ice cream (this is my new hobby...ice cream making with no dairy, no sugar) and watch reruns of Glee with the cat. Life doesn't get better!

Hugs to all
Elle
 
Hi Elle, so good to hear from you!!! But ice cream with no sugar or dairy????? Isn't that just ... ummm ... ice?? :-)

You are so busy! I'm glad the hip is keeping up with the rest of your body. Hey if you need a sheepdog to herd the kids, send for Lucy--she's on a job search every day.

You are just so amazing, how you have gotten through your hip surgery and recovery. I have another hero to add to my list :-)

Dorothy
 
Hi Elle,

60 hours! Wow! good for you. I am sure your students are happy to have you and i'm glad the hip isn't giving you any issues. You sound wonderful and doing extremely well for being 3 months out. Ice cream recipe please!
 
Hi, Elle! It was nice to see your update and good to hear how well thing are going for you. I hope you keep checking in from time to time. And yes, please share the ice cream recipe. I have a machine called "Yonanas" that grinds up frozen fruit into soft-serve ice cream consistency. It helps curb the ice cream cravings, but more ideas are always welcome!

How is yoga going?
 
Hello there!

Ok, amazing ice cream basic for immediate gratification, rider1960; dianemarie. I do not have a food processor, so I throw my frozen bananas in the blender with water from a coconut. I am aware you all do not have coconuts hanging around, so substitute non-sweetened almond milk. It also occurs to me that American and British bananas are blah, so I would throw in a few dates, too. I mix coco powder right into the mix and stir in walnuts or toasted almonds, The trick to a great consistancy is to stir every 20 minutes. If you are eating it the next day, take it out of the freezer about 15 minutes before you eat it. I have also made advocado black sesame, mango, coconut-ginger and durian. (Not mixed together!) But choclate banana with walnuts just satisfies the craving. It's like Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey. Only better. If you are not watching calories, adding a few tablespoons of coconut oil makes it taste even more amazing.

Last week I went to one of our beautiful 5 star hotels for lunch. They had home-made ice cream. I tried some and stuck my nose up at it after one taste becasue it was not as delicious as mine.

Linda, Lgastreich your machine sounds good! I always though you needed an ice cream maker to make ice cream, but you just have to stir about four times every 20 minuts. You can also "check" with each stirring!

Guess what? I got on my bike this morning! I was most impressed with the fact that I can swing my operated leg over the bar!! I had not been able to do that for a LONG time before my operation. Then I just...biked! But I only went about a mile. I was skittish, but definitely there was no issue with the hip.

Yoga is going well. I can now do sun salutations, although not gracefully. Eventually.

Meanwhile, for those of you who feel challenged by keeping up without a PT person to egg you on, here is a great video, Master Your Domain by Anne Novak! All you have to do is modify it for you. Anne gives a lot of modifications, but having a hip replacement had me reduce it even more. The leg raises are great (and on our PT list!); do the style that suits you and rest if you need to. You can do those on the bed if you can't get to the floor. The cat-cow varitations are excellent. If you cannot yet kneeel on the floor, sit on a hard chair and raise your legs alternatively for the first cat/cow and leg and opposite arm for the second. The frogs are a challenge: go down just a half inch until you are strong enough to put your hands on a chair. Do the arm pose sitting on chair. Lay flat on your bed for the last one. Oh, and here is breath of fire

I did the variations just mentioned first month and now at three months can follow lovely Anne on the video. It is important to remember we can modify anything and should!!
Sat nam!
Elle
 
Ooooow! Two posts from Elle, gosh we miss you :) but we realize with those 60 hour weeks, laying back on the lounge with homemade icecream and your cat and watching tv reruns has to be your first priority...

Lovely to hear from you Elle :) xoxoxoxox
 
Hey, that ice cream sounds good! I'll give that a try. I LOVE bananas, chocolate, and nuts -- that is the kind I will try first. Gotta put some bananas in the freezer.

Elle, with you on the forum I'm getting healthier and healthier :-)

Dorothy
 
We have a vita mix blender that pulverizes everything, so we make sorbet all the time with fresh fruit and ice cubes. Any tidbit of leftover anything we throw in the freezer and when we make fruit drinks we toss the frozen stuff in. That's how SO gets me to eat carrots. A delish fruit drink and I do not even know they are in there haha. But Elle, durian??? You know I have tried to like it but I just can't seem to get past the smell. It tastes good but ooh baby, the smell is too much. Guess it is an acquired thing.

I will check out the videos in the morning. Thanks for posting Elle and MAKE it a good week. Cathy
 
Thank you for the videos and as @Cathy said, "Yippee" for the bike ride. I am soooo impressed that you can swing your leg over the bar. I still need to nearly lay my bike down on the ground in order to mount and dismount. Have a good week at school and next time I eat ice cream, I'll think of you!
 
Yoo Hoo Elle! How are going ?
 
Just stopping by to say I finally listened it Ra Ma Da Sa that you posted elsewhere. Lovely, and just what I needed this morning. Thank you for that and also, of course, hope you are doing well in your " back to your busy life" time Cathy
 
Hi Elle, it's fantastic to hear how well you are doing, just reading about you working a 60 plus hour week exhausts me.lol. Your posts will really inspire other members and give them hope :thumb:

Congrats on getting on that bike too.

Take care

Ann
 
Hi there Elle, how are you going, just dropped by to check on you :)
 
Just celebrated my 3 month anniversary and continue to be so grateful. My life is completely back to normal. only better because I have no bone on bone pain and can sleep. I put in a 12 hour days at school without negative consequences to my hip. I am walking up to 4 kilometers three times a week and biking 15 kilometers on weekends. Hip flexors are working well and muscle tone is very slowly starting to come back.

I am not yet "normal" however, as I do not have the range of motion in my yoga practice I did before my operation, even with severe osteoarthritis. For example, I can barely touch my toes when I used to be able to slide my hands under my feet with legs straight in standing. I cannot get my heels on the floor like this in downward dog. when I could easily before. Not quite sure why the hamstrings have shortened or maybe that is what they do after a couple months not practicing the pose as one recovers from surgery.
[Bonesmart.org] Completed on June 14, 2012


I am not complaining at all, though, just observing. Having THR has enhanced my focus and body awareness, as I am very aware of micromovements and keeping myself and my beloved new hip safe. It's actually made my practice more intersting.

So, to anyone contemplating THR-do it! For those recovering, be patient, go slowly, do your exercises (even the seemingly simple ankle pumps are extremely valuable; I still do them as warmers) and rest when you are tired.
 
Hi Elle! Good to hear from you! I know you are so busy being back to work--12 hour days????? Egads! That's a rough schedule, even if you do love what you are doing. I think I would just come home and crash, not go for a walk, lol. I have to return to work this coming Wednesday (no where near as difficult as your schedule, but I don't particularly like my job ... so even my shorter days crawl) and I'm not looking forward to it. Oh well ...

I'm glad to hear you're able to do so much. As you already said, your yoga will return in time. My physical therapist says he believes and sees in his practice that we do not completely heal for up to 18 months. So, you are just a beginner on the recovery path and are already ahead of the game with your current activity. :-)

I was looking at that last yoga pose you posted and thought "Even if I could get into that position ... how would I get out of it???" :-)

Dorothy
 
Elle, I am so happy to read such a wonderful report. Yes indeed something does happen to those hammies haha. Mine were never as flexible as yours but now they are even worse. Seems progress on them is slow. So glad you posted, so glad you are doing well, and if you are where you are at 3 months? image where you'll be at 6 !!!!!!!

warm thoughts your way, cathy :SUNsmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom