Guest viewing is limited

THR Completed on June 14, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Elle

Thought I would pop over to your thread and catch up with your journey.

I love the fact that you are getting back into your yoga and posting so many interesting stretches and poses.. They are wonderful!

You are obviously very experienced, please keep them coming, they are such a gentle way for even new members to be getting into a stretching routine.. I love them :)

I read somewhere that you go back to work soon... or have you already started?

I think I also read in an early post that you are a teacher, what do you teach - is it yoga?

How is the stair climbing going?
 
Thank you so much for all your informative postings Elle. i have enjoyed reading your thread! My journey so far (RTHR 9th July) has been unlike yours. I have had absolutely no pain ever post op and at 3 weeks post op today I am walking without crutches BUT I cant do half of the movemnts you have posted! I am inspired to persevere with more flexibility. I wouldnt have dreamt of getting on the floor. (havent done that for years). Good luck with your continued recovery ! i shall keep popping back for updates!!
 
Like Sharon, I am hesitant to post on my thread because I am doing so well and don’t want to jinx it or make people think they should also be trooping along. I am week 6.5 and all is well. I can walk outside without limping and without a cane (although I take it for protection, as a sign “don’t run me over because I am slow!”) I don’t walk that far, but I can go for 15 minute saunters about 3 times a day. Flexibility and strength returning slowly; yoga is becoming more natural.

Just to show you how INSANE the internet is for information. Yesterday, I knelt down and then went naturally to my tummy. It felt great, but I had the sudden panic “maybe I shouldn’t be doing this yet”. (Like when you found yourself naturally in a squat, Poppyfields.) Funnily, I couldn’t find anything in the Bonesmart Library or in the search. (Must be tons and I just didn’t put in the correct tags) I read at least 5 articles on the subject from various sources. The answers ranged from…gasp…”never for the rest of your life” to several months. But I am taking the precautions from Beth Israel Hospital in the US who have you on the stomach from day one (although goodness knows how!). I even found suggested exercises for on the tummy! (leg raises-difficult!) The sleep position seems to be one of the greatest variations in OS instructions. I was allowed on either side immediately after surgery (as long as I had a pillow between my legs) yet I hear the other end of the spectrum with people on their backs into week 6. Well.
Thank you, lovely people for dropping in on my thread and giving encouragement and comments. Yes, Poppet, I am indeed a teacher. Yes, I teach yoga, but my day job is as a middle school English teacher. I LOVE my work, as I have great kids and fabulous colleagues and a fun curriculum. However, it is very full on; looking at 10 hour days that usually drag into weekends. I am concerned about keeping up my energy levels. Well, as I did this with bone on bone pain and nearly zero sleep for almost a year, I am hoping to manage…as well as enjoy myself!
Alright, this is for your Linda, unless you have shoulder issues. (And I have a vaue memory of reading that in your thread?)Since you like the plank, you can also try another hip easy pose that targets the core-the dolphin-plank. There is more work in the shoulders on this one, so be alert to that!
broken link removed: https://www.yogabarn.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Dolphin-Plank-pose.jpg
Well, to echo Sharon in “why I am doing so well”, I think it is because 1) my surgeon is wonderful; 2) I have really rested; and 3) I have iced in the evenings, even though I have not had swelling (I assume it is swelling on the inside). I learned 2 and 3 from Bonesmart. Truly, I would have been pushing myself and having a disaster if not for everyone’s warning. One day last week, I felt I needed a total rest day. I did NONE of my (elaborate) exercise programe, but did walk around the house (ah and those 87 stairs; yes,easy now, Poppet). The next day, I felt much stronger and more flexible.
So, in a phrase: rest more than you think you need!
Warmest wishes and gratitude to all of you.
 
Hi, Elle, thanks for your post and the shout-out. Is school about to start again? My long days have resumed. They are draining, but doable. I finally realized as well that my brain power still isn't back yet. Something about acknowledging a condition that helps me cope with it. I don't have any great wisdom, just that I'm going to bed as early as possible and trying to manage my schedule as best as possible. I appreciate the pose suggestions, but the PT has stopped me from doing planks until my shoulder is better. I also want to say I think there's value in posting when recovery is going well. Those stories helped me when I was getting ready for surgery. I go in for my 8-week follow up next week. And...I'm planing on getting on a bike this week-end. I'm nervous, but excited!
 
Hi Elle, you are doing SO well!!!!! Amazing is more like it!!!!!! I'm very impressed. I'm sure your good health and wonderful attitude have a lot to do with your progress. I'm sure your surgeon will be pleased. :-)

Dorothy
 
Elle

I am not a bit surprised in your wonderful progress. Your positive attitude and calm approach to your recovery have served you well. I am sure those 87 stairs and your yoga have also played a huge part. Bless you and best wishes for a continuing journey to full recovery.

Suki
 
Thank you, Suki, Sandy, Dorothy and Linda, for your good wishes.

I came to Bangkok for my 7 week follow-up. My OS's only complaint was that I need to massage my scar more, to make it softer. OK, will do!

All my restrictions were lifted. I said, "I thought I had to wait 3 months". OS said, "Not necessary, but be careful with your yoga." Well, I am the Queen of Careful. He said between the minimally invasive surgery and the big femur, I don't have much chance of dislocating. I asked about sitting on my heels and told him that was banned on some yoga site for hip replacements. He said if I could do it before the operation, I could do it now. OK then!

I told him about the pain in my calf. He said that is because the first thing he did was correct the LLD, making both legs same length and balancing my pelvis and so my body is relearning how to walk properly, and causing unused muscles to work. He projects pain should be gone in about two more months. And he projects I shoudl have a few years on the other hip, which also has OA.

He was so proud of my new xrays. But not as happy as I was. I swear these OS people are angels and thank god they found their life's calling.

I start work next week and my work is full-on, in my face. It will be more difficult to check in on the forum, but I will from time to time.

For anyone contemplating hip surgery, do it! For those of you that are having various issues, don't despair, go slowly and be gentle with yourself. We all have our own healing paths.
 
I just knew you would get a good MD report!!!! You are doing so great. I've very happy for you!

The advice he gave you sounds much like what my surgeon told me after my first hip--"you can do anything you want to do; just work into/up to things gradually."

Good luck with your first week back at work. I bet your students love you and will be happy to have you back.

Dorothy
 
Elle11, I'll miss your regular updates. We're only a week apart in recovery time, so it's been fun to watch your progress. And, I've enjoyed your thoughtful and inspiring posts. What great news that you can do the yoga poses you want to do. Enjoy the return to school and your students. I've been working for about a month now and still need to take care to create time for rest and rehab. Peace to you in the next chapter and I'll look forward to your posts when you are able.
 
Ditto Elle, we will miss your gentle, calm, reassuring posts, however life goes on and that is how it should be. Take care returning to work, conserve your energy xx
 
Elle, I'm so glad you are recovering so well. Before I retired, I too taught middle school English, so I know exactly what you are facing in a week when you return. Go easy on writing assignments the first month or so, so you won't come home exhausted and still have to face grading a ton of papers. I know....easier said than done. There are times I miss the camaraderie of my students and fellow colleagues, but most of the time I am so grateful that I don't have to get up early in the morning, and I don't have to be regimented by the school day time clock.

Best of luck....I know you'll be fine. I'm glad I had a chance to get to "know" you here on Bonesmart.

Sharon
 
Oh sharonslp; - how you make me yearn for retirement... Can't wait to not have that mad early morning rush only to get to work to find 100 or so emails in my inbox to deal with...

elle; you have become such an important personality on the forum, please update occasionally - hugs x
 
Hi Elle,

Your 7 week update and visit to the OS sound great!!! I'm sure that you will be careful in these early months out as you continue to get used to your new hip and how it moves you and you move with it -- Queen of Careful, good title :thumb:

I saw you mentioning the 2nd chakra in Dorothy's thread, regarding the surgeries that she's endured these past few years. For the longest time I thought that my hip issues were 1st chakra -- "grounding" related issues....it's been a loooonngg time since I did any chakra related work. What do you suggest in terms of this now for us hippies??

My daughter really liked her middle school English teacher this past year -- I'm sure that you've touched the hearts of many young students in your time as a teacher. I hope it's a good year for you (in many ways).

Take care,
Cardie
 
Well,my friends, just because the adorable (mine is) OS says "all restrictions lifted", it doesn't mean that life will return to normal. I KNEW this intellectually, but emotionally I was in denial. In my mind's eye, I see myself flowing "like before". Well, this morning when I stood at the head of my mat in delightful anticipation of my first sun salutation, I found out I could not even touch my toes (when I could slip my hands under my feet with a straight spine before the operation). I also was very cautious, which does not make for "flow", but rather "wiggle-hobble". I know it will come, but the reality of how long it will take has hit.

Thank you, Sandy, Dorothy, Linda, Sharon, Suki and Cardie for your best wishes.

Oh, sharonslp; so we share the same profession and you know. I won't teach past middle school because the little ones don't write as much as high school kids...and it is usually much more interesting! (Sadly we can't do haiku all year-HA!) I feel so blessed with my work. I will be looking forward to teaching yoga again, but I am phasing myself in.

For sure, the hips are the second chakra, C Mac; Of course with chakras, they don't have clear deliniation between where one starts and the other begins. The second chakra is still foundational, like the first, but for our creativity. The whole the pelvic region, including the hips, sex organs and urinary tract/bladder. There are various ways to support the 2nd chakra, including finding outlets for your creativity (like Dorothy's jewlery making). Journeling is good. If you are into aromatherpay, lavender oil and oil from the conifer trees is recommended. The color orange supports the second chakra. I, too, had a hysterectomy and during healing (which seemed like 5 minutes compared to hip surgery!), I wore corals and oranges. But, by far, hands down is Sat Kriya. Herebroken link removed: https://www.spiritvoyage.com/blog/index.php/video-sat-kriya-with-anne-novak/with the lovely yogini Anne Novak. Usually we do Sat Kriya on the knees, but you can do it sitting in a chair as well. Just make sure spine is straight.

Hugs to all.
 
Hi Elle, No, it's not a quick and easy road back after a hip replacement, although isn't it wonderful to be free of the arthritis pain despite still having some limitations?! I'm sure after a short period of time you will have your body doing everything you want it too. You are a quick healer.

You continue to amaze me with great ideas and insight into the body and healing. I learn so much from you--I sometimes feel like I should be paying you for these lessons! (I can't believe we get them for free just because we were let in on the "replace a hip" pass. ha ha) I watched the video you posted and added it to my favorites so I can review it again easily and I'll start doing it daily. I'll have to sit in a chair--it was nice that the instructor gave those adaptive instructions, especially for people who can't sit like she is ... it will be a long time before I can even think of doing that! I did a little of it while the video was going on and Lucy woke up from a nap with a look of "Now Mom's really gone over the edge ..." :-)

You also gave me (yet another) great idea about how to help myself with healing--I am going to do some more jewelry design work. I had put it aside for a while. I can't do a lot because I have to bend a lot and go through boxes and bags of jewelry making supplies to find the perfect combos of beads, chain, and wire--it usually takes me longer to figure out what I'm going to use and get a picture of what I want to make than to put it all together. But, you definitely have me thinking and my creative juices are flowing more--I have been working with an insurance company representative who has been a real gem, and I think I'll make her a piece of jewelry and send it to her as a thank you. Sometimes I need to have a reason or inspiration to get going on my jewelry after being away from it for a while. Thank you!

Hope you have a great day and are doing OK back at work. Yoga will come. I only wish you were closer so I could take some real lessons from you. You must be a fantastic teacher!

Dorothy
 
Hello Elle,
I'm very new to this forum and my first post was concerns about being able to do yoga after my RTHR which is on Nov. 6th.
Poppet suggested I check your posts and I am ecstatic that I did! Reading about your recovery has just cheered me up immensely - I can handle my anxiety about this surgery if I know I can return to my beloved yoga once its done. I am trying to maintain my yoga practice in this waiting time, and have the most wonderful teacher, who has helped me modify so many asanas and has encouraged me to use this time to focus on meditation. I give daily thanks for physical therapists, ortho. surgeons, and yoga teachers! I am a teacher as well (4th grade, science) and have concerns about being out for 2 months of school, but as a science teacher, figured I'll use this as an opportunity to share the world of human anatomy with my kids!
Thanks so much for your encouraging posts and please keep them coming!
 
Hi Elle, once again in catching up with you I receive a wealth of reminders and information. The reminder to do some chakra work, ahh yes. Forgot all about those babies haha. I loved the video and like that it's a self contained one, meaning I don't have to fully embrace Kundalini to reap some benefits-thank you so much for posting that.

Your postings will be missed as Others have said. You have become such an integral part of the forum. Good luck on your transition back to work and be gentle with yourself. It might take more out of you than you think, so be mindful and honor that, as I am sure you will.

Peace to you, [Bonesmart.org] Completed on June 14, 2012
Cathy
 
Elle11;

We would love to get an update from you, if you are on the forum any time. - miss you!
 
Hello lovely Bonesmart people!

I am just putting my head up from the whirlwind of being back to work the past two weeks. I would have loved to have followed the gentle program that Josephine outlined of starting out part time, but that is for the lucky! At 8 weeks post-op, I went right back to my demanding schedule that includes Saturday (and this week Sunday!) with long days. But I am not complaining, as I love teaching and have delightful students.

I do not even think of my hip at work and I am all over the place, including up and down on the floor with the kids. However, I cannot (and will not) lift heavy things. (This makes me ponder, as I have a strong upper body and could easy change big 20 liter water dispensers before my THR.) I also hold the rail on steps at work (child herds!), even though I don't need it. Teaching is easy on the body, but I have to get up at least every 30 minutes and do some exercise when I am working on the computer. Sitting too long seems to be a big danger, actually, for us hipsters.

I feel I am not limping at all, but a colleague said "5%". I will give it another month or so before I get alarmed. I know I am still healing and muscles are still weak.

Last week I also ventured into a public yoga class. I could do almost nothing (except savasana!) but I just grabbed props (a chair, ropes, blocks) and easily could modify everything. I was a bit disappointed I was so "disabled", but trust it will come back.

It would be great if I could get in a second PT or yoga session a day, but so far, no luck in scheduling. I get up at 3 a.m. to do PT, yoga and meditation and am out the door by 6:45. This was my habit before THR, except then, I was already up in pain and now, I have to wake up. (Yay! Sleep!) It is a beautiful way to start the day, but it also means I don't have much time at night for another PT session, as I go to bed early. I wish I was brave enough to get on my bike, but I just don't want to. I am afraid to fall. So Cathy and Linda, I hope I will be able to follow your footsteps (or bike treads!) soon.

I am doing a 40 day sadhana broken link removed: https://www.spiritvoyage.com/blog/index.php/the-spirit-voyage-40-day-global-sadhana-transforming-negativity-to-love-with-ramdesh-kaur/ that needs no flexibility; just sit on a chair. It is so affirming.

Overwhelmingly grateful that I get giddy at times!!!

Annie's; glad my posts took some of the trepidation away. That is a good idea to do as much yoga/meditation as possible before surgery. You have till November, so that is a good prep period for you. It will be your perfect birthday gift! Yes, your kids will be fascinated with your hip story. Don't forget to ask to keep the xrays. Great visuals!

Thank you Dorothy rider1960; Sandy Poppet; and Cathy VThereandnow; for stopping at my thread.

Hugs to all!
Elle
 
Hi Elle, so good to hear from you and know you are doing well. It is true that it takes a long time to recover from this surgery. At first healing is so fast and we get better by the day or week. Then, it's slower. I can still tell that my left hip done in January has healing to do. Don't get me wrong, it's in very good shape, but I still get some twinges or have tissue stiffness around it here and there that reminds me it's not 100% yet.

Your schedule sounds so busy--I get tired just reading about it! I start feeling very lazy, ha ha.

Glad you are back to doing what you can with yoga. I know how important that is to you. As you already know ... it will all come back. Patience is that hardest part of this.

Keep up the good work!

Dorothy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom