TKR Coming up on 9 weeks...

I agree with NavyGunns!! I am 18 weeks post surgery, and I still experience some minor aches and swelling. As NavyGunns said, it is most likely from the muscles/tendons/ligaments still going through the healing process. It usually occurs at the end of my work day, so I have been icing and elevating in the evenings, and that does wonders!! As I've learned from Bonesmart, recovery is a long term process, that takes about 1 year to completely heal. Hang in there, it will get better!!

I’m at 14 weeks today. I’ve had two full weeks of working 4 days each week. Last week I had a couple of days where an invisible ice pick stabbed me in the knee like a million times (okay, I exaggerate). The week before that I had a few days of pain and a new weird click/clack different from the click/clack of earlier weeks. I’m not doing any PT or any extra walking, but Saturday I had to take my dad to the ER. They decided to admit him and it was a mile (okay, yeah, not really) to his room. Then I had to walk back to my car later. Then I had to do that again Sunday to bring him home. And guess what? My new knee did great!! Woo hoo!! I have a little swelling today and now that I’m home from work I’m going to ice and elevate, but I’m still pretty pumped at how well my knee handled the walking -with no pain! Last week I would not have thought it possible.

I know I’m not “there” yet and that I will continue to have odd pains and weird sensations, but just having that proof that my knee is strong has been very encouraging and I hope that by reading this you are encouraged too because you are so close to better days.

You, of course, do what you want, but I hope you will consider a previous suggestion to give up the PT and the walking for a while. You’re using your knee plenty just in your daily activities. You can always add them back later.

Hang in there! :flwrysmile:

Nine weeks yesterday and still not feeling the wonderful! So frustrating to go through the day with a smile, but inside questioning, "why the heck am I not feeling a bit better?" Stiffness and such a deep ache that can't seem to be reached with stretching, massaging, icing or elevating. "OOOh this is frustrating!" To top it off, and I know that everyone heals differently, a lady I work with had her LTKR just 2 weeks prior to mine, and she is bending and walking without any sort of limp and pretty much pain free. When we saw each other upon returning to work, she was like, "whats going on, why are you having so much trouble?" Lets just say, if you saw my expression, you all would have had quite a laugh.

Anyway, I'm still positive, but at times questioning.....Love reading everyones posts and hearing about all the success...Can't wait for it to be me!

Nine weeks yesterday and still not feeling the wonderful! So frustrating to go through the day with a smile, but inside questioning, "why the heck am I not feeling a bit better?" Stiffness and such a deep ache that can't seem to be reached with stretching, massaging, icing or elevating. "OOOh this is frustrating!" To top it off, and I know that everyone heals differently, a lady I work with had her LTKR just 2 weeks prior to mine, and she is bending and walking without any sort of limp and pretty much pain free. When we saw each other upon returning to work, she was like, "whats going on, why are you having so much trouble?" Lets just say, if you saw my expression, you all would have had quite a laugh.
It's only 9 weeks since you had this major surgery. Of course you're not feeling the wonderful yet- especially as you've had to go back to work a bit early. We do usually recommend you take about 12 weeks off work, but that's not always possible.

Try to give yourself and your poor knee a break. You've both been through a lot and it does take a long time to recover. You will both feel better, given more time. Here comes that dreadful word again - patience! This recovery really is a trial of patience and it will take every ounce you can find.

As for the other lady - she's very lucky. Don't let her experience make you feel there's something wrong with your recovery. There isn't.
For all we (or she) knows, her knee might not have had as much work done on it during surgery, or it might not have been in as bad a condition as yours before surgery. There are many reasons why we advise you not to compare recoveries, because every knee is different and every recovery is different.

Just let your knee heal at its own pace - it knows what it's doing and it will do just as well as the other lady's knee, in the end. Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)

Most of us do not start feeling better until the 3 to 4 month mark.
I agree with Celle, you have had to go back to work too early for your knee. Be sure to give your knee lots of TLC when you get home, and on the weekends. Lots of Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate on schedule.

I'm so glad you can be positive, @hatingthis. That can be so hard to do when recovery takes as long as TKR does.

Nine weeks is still early. The difference between "walking without any limp and pretty much pain-free" and "walking with a slight limp and still having lots of swelling and pain" is really small. "Pretty much pain-free" alone can simply be the difference between how two people perceive their pain. And limping might be a symptom of a knee still needing more extension, something that can -- and often does -- come along later in recovery.

Stay positive and you will soon see the rewards. :friends:

You're back at work--that is going to challenge the knee a bit for a while yet. Are you taking tylenol or anything? I was taking it several times a day when I when I went back to work at week 12.

Everybody is so different but after my first tkr, my knee wasn't close to what would be considered "normal" for months afterward. We went for a long weekend trip 4 hours from home when my new knee was 12 weeks old just to get out of the house. It was ok but I had to stop many, many times during our short walks to just sit or lean up against a building. Had to be in bed by 7 each night because it was so exhausting.
I keep comparing a new knee to a new baby but they really are the same in many respects. The difference in a 9/10 week old baby is very different from a 5/6 month old baby. You'll get there and it may take longer than your co-worker but that's ok. The next time she asks you about it, just say "bless your heart for thinking about me". I see you're from Virginia so you (and she) may know the underlying sentiment. She probably means well but if not, perhaps it'll be a good reminder to keep her comparisons to herself.

10+ weeks and still feeling, I don't need to say the word. Today is Labor Day and I chose to do nothing, literally except elevate, ice and rest. Not helping much and still have continuous ache throughout my right leg and also my left knee now. Ugggg!!!!!!So frustrating! I have found only one place where all be it briefly I get relief....Hot bath! If I could stay in there all day, things would be fabulous....:) Anyway, I'll keep plugging away and hope that all I read here will come my way sooner or later. I hope everyone has enjoyed their weekends and are feeling a bit more like themselves each and every day.

12 weeks today and still find this all a struggle. While I realize it is a long process, I am beginning to worry a bit as I am noticing more swelling and even a fluid like sack on the upper part of my knee. Called the OS and am trying to get an appointment. Extremely hard to bend and I believe I've also got a fluid build up in the back of the knee. My hope is that this is just from possible overdoing things. Feeling anxious, and actually scared....

You are only 1/4 of the way healed. You will have swelling and pain, especially with your increased activities with working. Try backing off of your activities as much as possible.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks