BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[TKR] Coming along<<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Elad1002, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

United States United States
    So. If I stop going to therapy and choose to rehab on my own, which would consist of recumbent exercise bike. Leg raises, heel slides, gentle stretches, walking, then would that be enough? I dont want to rupture a tendon. I am at 0/110..I understand from reading the articles on this site that you can get to 120 without pushing it and the window of opportunity doesn't necessarily close at 12 weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

There is no window of opportunity. ROM can improve over the years. One of our members, Bertschb, kept a record of his ROM process. He agreed for us to post it for those of you that are afraid you're stuck. The key is to have patience! Bertschb says:

I'm 12 months out from my surgery and have some advice based on my experience:
    1- Stop going to PT (all it will do is make your knee swell and reduce ROM)
    2- Don't worry about your ROM
    3- Be patient - VERY patient!!!

Here is my ROM history (more or less):
    1 month - 60 degrees
    2 months - 80 degrees
    3 months - 85 degrees
    4 months - 90 degrees
    5 months - 90 degrees
    6 months - 110 degrees
    7 months - 120 degrees
    8 months - 125 degrees
    9 months - 130 degrees
    10 months - 135 degrees
    11 months - 140 degrees
    12 months - 140 degrees

I spent waaaaay too much time worrying about ROM. I thought I'd be riding my bike a couple months after surgery but it took SIX months! Looking back on my surgery, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted my time with PT and I wouldn't have worried about ROM.

This is what another one of our members wrote about the slow development of her ROM. (Thank you, @Campervan ) As you can see, her flexion continued to improve for a long time.

"I had a slow recovery. Here's my flex measurements at various points:
    92 - 8 weeks post op
    105 - 10 weeks
    107 - 5 months
    110 - 6 months
    112 - 7 months
    116 - 9 months
    119 - 11 months
    118 - 1 yr
    120 - 1yr 2 months
    125 - 1 yr 8 months
    128 – 6 years "

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Breadman

Breadman junior member

Canada Canada
    Hi @Elad1002. I had BTKR almost 2 weeks before you. Yes this site is great. The people here are wonderful. At first I always wanted to know my ROM. But then I wondered why am I worried. My knees are bending fine. I measure my progress on what activities I couldn't do before that I can do know. The first two goals I acomplished were cooking on the BBQ and riding the stationary bike. I hadn't been able to ride the bike in 2018. The last couple of days I have been able to walk down the stairs (14) properly. Think of what you would like to do again and make those your goals.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

Sounds about right. Do you go to PT?Thank you .

5. Breadman

Breadman junior member

Canada Canada
    I go to PT once every two weeks, basically to get some new exercises. I do my various exercises at home on my own and at my own pace. Through out the day I will do a couple at a time standing, sitting, laying down, where ever. I have learned over years to do the rehab on my own is the best for me. Might not be the same for all. So far so good for me.

6. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

Thanks for sharing that. I agree with this approach because then you dont feel under pressure to get them all done at once. I think it's healthier not to push too hard, not trying to win a gold medal, just want to be functional!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Larryhg3

Larryhg3 senior

@Elad1002 there are many people on this site who have achieved wonderful recoveries without PT. You can absolutely do that. For me it is also about achieving functionality. I found with my first knee once I was discharged from PT my progress continued quite well. There was not the pressure of getting a number on every visit. There is DEFINITELY not a window of opportunity to improve ROM. Whichever route you choose to take for your well being this community will be here to support you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

That's what I have done after all my 11 knee surgeries! I was doing it the Bonesmart way since the 1980s! That was long before I knew that there was a Bonesmart! What a God-send this site is!

9. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

So how do you reccomend treating tendonitis ? Is there a video on this site regarding tendonitis? I'm sorry, other than writing the notes that my job requires of me on my work computer, I'm just not that high tech. Even if its "easy".

10. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

I found a good video on Ice massage via Youtube for my patella tendonitis. Another video explained that knee tendonitis doesnt begin in the knee...it is the result of excess swelling in the thigh...so very interesting. So again, what this forum has been saying all along once again is validated. Ice, rest and elevate. Pain is the body's response to swelling...when the swelling reduces, so should the pain. Thank you Bonesmart.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

At 1 week post op I had excruciating shoulder pain due grasping the PT table very tightly as my “therapist” slowly pushed my knee to an excruciating pain level.

I had X-rays of my shoulder several days later and they diagnosed it as acute tendinitis. My PA told me to just rest it.

Incidentally, the shoulder pain was a 10 and the Dilaudid I was taking didn’t touch it. I now have trouble trusting physical therapists.

13. donnag1108

donnag1108 senior

Wow @Jockette what an awful experience. Things need to change in the world of PT for sure. This surgery is hard enough without any added pain.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Things will change for me, I won’t be going to PT next time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

Today I decreased my number of PT visits to 2 per week and next week I am reducing to 1. I have to be strategic here because my doctor tracks my progress through PT. I have refused to let them push my leg and will only do exercises that I am not finding painful. They will release me at 120/0. I am.presenly 110/0. I hope I can.make some gains with all the resting and icing. I made an appointment with OS regarding the tendonitis.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

Just curious if anyone has needed dental work post surgery. Unfortunately my doctor didnt require dental clearance prior to surgery and I had missed my last cleaning. I have a sensitive tooth and am nervous about having it checked out. His protocol is to premed before any dental work. I will further check this out with him before proceeding. I am 6 weeks po.

17. Mutti3

Mutti3 graduate

I had a cleaning exactly 6 weeks post operative. Also had a crown work done at 6 1/2 weeks. My OS requires antibiotic before dental work. I did fine! Talk to your OS.

18. Mom2Lucy

Mom2Lucy senior

Canada Canada
    My OS requires that antibiotics be given by the dentist if I have dental work,for as much as a year post op.The OS gave me a letter that had to be put into my dental chart.

19. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Elad1002 Once again I merged a thread to your existing recovery thread. Please keep all your updates and questions regarding recovery on this thread so that we have your history in one place. Do not start another thread.

If you would like your thread title changed just ask.

Regarding dental work every surgeon is different on this. Many are no longer recommending antibiotics before dental procedures. Check with both your dentist and surgeon. 6 weeks out should be fine for a routine cleaning.

20. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

I am so sorry about starting a new thread...I need to spend some time figuring out how to post without starting a new thread. I feel if I reply to the last persons post that I am replying to them personally when actually I am starting a new topic. I understand the dental protocol is different for different doctors. The dentist said that they will follow whatever guidelines my surgeon recommends.