BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[TKR] Coming along<<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Elad1002, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

United States United States
    Thank you Josephine for your response and the taping video. My therapist taped me today. He used a little but of a different method, but so far the kneecap is holding . I am going to buy some tape and try this method. Thank you!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  2. NavyGunns

NavyGunns FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@Elad1002, there are all kinds of videos with different taping methods you can try. Some worked well for me, others didn’t help at all. The key is to make sure you apply the tape with the stretch and no stretch exactly as specified. Otherwise it’s no good.

3. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

Where did you buy the tape?

4. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

So, I feel like I'm not doing enough, still stuck in the house, gloomy weather and a little depressed. I walked around the house quite a bit this morning then rested all afternoon. Did some heel slides and leg raises, not much. I am very stiff and trying to find ways to relieve the stiffness, wondering if this will ever go away. I have some regret, this knee replacement was a last ditch effort to increase my mobility, but at 6 weeks out, I'm having doubts. I was walking stiff legged for a few months prior..
    Wondering if I should have done more natural things to improve my mobility...been to so many chiropractors and naturopaths, some warned me not to have this done for various reasons. My brain us filled with all these crummy thoughts, not sure it was worth it. And where do I go from here?

5. Larryhg3

Larryhg3 senior

@Elad1002 sorry to hear that you are having such a crummy day. You are not alone I promise you. To still have stiffness at 6 weeks is not abnormal you are still healing. I think that physicians do a poor job of preparing us for how long this takes. I am lucky enough to have my first knee 8 months older than my second. So one is 12 weeks and still a work in progress while the other is 11 months old. The difference is remarkable. The depression is also something that I didn’t see coming there is a good article link about it in the reading the Admins provide. You are doing fine. There is always someone here to support you here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

Thanks for your response. I am struggling with feelings of regret and not sure how to handle it. I keep hoping it's all been a bad dream, pretty depressed today. I had a bad knee, but I'd gladly take it back right now. The knee is so much more stiff today than it's been in awhile, so do I move it more or less, I just dont know.

7. donnag1108

donnag1108 senior

I understand where you are coming from. I definitely have days of feeling the same way. It's very frustrating. I've only had one fleeting moment when I have questioned my decision. Good days and bad days, today hasn't been a good one. Hope you feel better soon.

8. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Stiffness is the result of swelling. Swelling is the result of doing too much. Are you icing and elevating enough? Elevate toes above your nose and ice at the same time. I did it for hours at a time. The first few months I iced and elevated the whole time I was sitting and laying down. This helped to keep my swelling down. It will yours, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NavyGunns

Assuming you are in the States, any Walmart or drug store (like Walgreens) will carry it. One brand is called KT tape.

10. NavyGunns

Here is the article mentioned:
    https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/

During my recovery, I didn’t have problems with the blues, but did have problems with frustration until I realized what I was experiencing with my recovery was all normal. That’s where BoneSmart really helped, especially in the middle of the night, can’t sleep, knee hurts, back hurts, and are questioning why did I ever do this to myself. Part of the problem with having your surgery in the late Fall is that recovery occurs during the Winter. If you don’t live in the south or west coast, you are stuck inside, lack of sunshine, cold, dark, miserable. Add to all that the potential for seasonal blues, almost a perfect storm combination. I felt very lucky I had mine in mid April. Even then, it snowed 3” the day after my procedure when I was going home. But, by first week of May, was in the 50s and I was able to sit outside, enjoy the sun and all while recovering.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

Thanks for the encouragement. So I noticed in the video that there are 2 different types of tape. The Kt tape which is available on Amazon, yay! looks like the stretchy one. What is the other one that it attaches to?
    Yes I live in the states in little tiny freezing Connecticut.

12. Mollymax

Mollymax graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Elad1002 I also know where you are coming from. I had my first knee done in June last year and this one in December. The difference between the two has been like chalk and cheese. I too find myself at times wishing I hadn't got it done. If this had been the first knee I would not have got second done. I would rather have the arthritic pain but mobile than this pain and immobile. However I keep thinking things can only get better from here. I may not get the same flexibility back but the joy to go out walking pain free is something I am so looking forward to. It will come I am sure of that. Meanwhile I just have to battle through the pain and stiffness and the blues. I got the blues first time but not this pain and stiffness. Keep your chin up, follow the guidance of everyone on here and things can only improve. I will be thinking about you when I am sitting up at 3am unable to sleep. Oh the joys of getting a full night. It will come I am sure. Take care.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

Thank you

14. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

So, today at PT, they did McConnell taping because my kneecap hasnt been tracking properly. It helped somewhat but the PT was able to identify my pain at the base of my kneecap as tendon pain. Has anyone had tendinitis and how did they treat it?
    Thanks

15. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@Elad1002
    You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
    • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
    • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
    • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
    So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
    If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
    How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

16. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

17. NavyGunns

@Elad1002, not sure as I’ve always just used KT tape. I do know there are flexible / stretching tape and non-stretching tape. I’ve only used the stretching type.

18. Ceegee

Ceegee junior member

Canada Canada
    I can identify with your frustration and regrets, and with your "cabin fever" at being confined to your home by ice and crappy weather! My TKR was last February, and I couldn't go outside for several weeks afterwards, because of successive bouts of freezing rain.

The things that helped: I focused on walking less, but better. For example, I took walks around our kitchen island, practising heel-to-toe steps and concentrating on normalizing my gait (which was terrible as a result of the old, arthritic knee). I already had an exercise bike, but I also went online and bought a used stepper ($30), and I'm still using both of them to this day (because I enjoy them, not because they're necessary). I started a weekly personal "recovery blog", in which I wrote about setbacks and improvements. The notes about improvements were especially useful: it's easy to focus on the negatives and forget about the positives - we all do it, because this is such a difficult recovery. But as time went on it was nice to look back at what I'd written and realize how far I'd come, even though it never seemed like far enough!

As for tendon pain: for me at least, it was a regular occurrence during recovery. My tendons had shrunk because my old knee was permanently bent, and it took many months for them to stretch and adapt to their new role. I also pulled my hamstring quite badly on more than one occasion. Even now, almost a year post-op, I still get the occasional twinge in some tendons and muscles.

One thing that has helped me has been to focus on function, not numbers. I'm not a very flexible person generally, and am not really expecting to achieve the flexion numbers that some people are able to get. Right now, at nearly a year post-op, my ROM hovers around 120 to 0. If I'd focused on the numbers, I might be disappointed. But: I can hike 10 km over rough, hilly ground with no pain. I can walk long distances at a decent, steady pace. I can jog and run for short distances. I can run (yes, run) up and down stairs with no problem. I can do heavy yardwork at home. I can ski (carefully). I can snowshoe. This year, I climbed a ladder and installed Christmas lights around our home's gutters. I can run my dog in agility trials. And most importantly, everyday life is totally pain-free and I don't take any medications at all, not even Tylenol. This time last year, I couldn't do any of those things and was taking enough painkillers and anti-inflammatories to kill a small elephant.

The early weeks are tough. Someone asked me, a couple of months after my operation, if it had been worth it. I told them they would have to chloroform me, tie me up and carry me to hospital in a bag to make me go through it again. And I still sort of think that. But it does get better. And it will be worth it.

Best of luck! Hang in there.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. traceys

traceys graduate

Canada Canada
    @Ceegee :yay:

Bravo. Well said and every word dead on

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. NavyGunns

@Ceegee, I have to echo @traceys! Every word you said is right on the mark, 100% true, and worth way more than any gold one could be offered! Well done!

• Friendly Friendly x 1