TKR CNM1 new knee June 16<

It's very normal to not see ROM improvement in the first weeks to a month and it can take a full week to overcome the effects of aggressive PT.

You can call PT groups, let them know what your looking for and what you don't want. The first appointment is usually an evaluation, use that to set the ground rules. Because of what a PT did to me dad and best friend's TKR (pushed down to get extention) I had a no touch policy. I didn't know about BoneSmart, but I knew I didn't want pain and refused anything that hurt.
 
Thank you very much.

1. Pain 1-9 (includes hip bursitis/IT band and ankle pain)
Ooh nasty!
2. Oxycodone 5 mg/acetaminophen 325mg I take 1-2 every 4-6 hours round the clock
Tramodol 50mg prescribed every 6 hours. I take 1-2 a day
Oh ..... okay.
3. Leg swelling moderate
got it
4. Flexion 110-120
extension 100%
I'm assuming you mean extension is 100% flat which is excellent for just over two weeks.
5. Icing 4- 5 times a day for 20 min
You accomplish little or nothing in 20 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
6. My leg is elevated when ever I am not walking. 1 pillow only for sleep
But HOW do you elevate? Is it 'toes above nose'?
7. I live alone and do all my activities of daily living. Kitchen on 1st floor, only bathroom on 2nd, laundry in basement
Eek! That's quite a lot. You need to make sure you don't do any housework or anything!
5 leg slides 3 times a day
IT band stretches 3 times for 2 times a day
IT bands stretches are okay but since your ROM is excellent, you really don't need to do any heel slides at all. In my opinion it's a pretty pointless thing to do. It doesn't improve flexion, it just makes your pain worse!

As for your IT band and bursitis, there are stretches for the first in here ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments and more about bursitis here Trochanteric bursitis. I suggest you try and get an injection of cortisone into that bursa to make it settle down. Mine did!
 
Unfortunately, this surgery affects all areas of our bodies. We adjusted our walking to compensate for our arthritic knees. When those are fixed, our walking is changed dramatically. This makes the parts of our bodies related to that changed movement hurt. It's like the knee healing, it's going to take time.
 
Thank you Josephine. I did call my surgeon. His nurse said he will not give steroid before my 6 weeks visit. I was going call again this week and ask again.It would help a lot
I do not elevate toes above nose that often - too much stress on my hip. I was icing for 40 minutes but got lectured by both my home nurse and home PT. I will ignore them - the way I said no to any leg lifts etc.
I just looked at those links. One of IT band stretches is like mine and I started massaging my leg today - glad to know it was a good idea. It does hurt will doing it but stops with I stop massaging. Funny thing is my 29 year old daughter is having IT band problems now too!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had some back and hip pain around month 2 when elevating. It did put pressure on my back and hips, but I found if I laid flat on the sofa and put my legs up on the sofa arm (sometimes with a pillow underneath) I had no back or hip pain. There was very little pressure on either and I was able to get toes above nose for swelling.
 
:bawl:I have to admit I am sitting here crying. Despite maximum doses of pain meds and lidocaine patches my hip pain is 9/10. I do not even notice the knee. I am so frustrated. After 9am, I will call my MD but doubt there is much he will do. (even if I can find a ride to the MD). Just frustrated by this hip pain. Last night between the hip pain and foot pain - I wanted to cut my leg off. The foot pain is rotating what part hurts today. Yesterday it was the inside ankle.
 
I am so sorry you are having all that pain. Have you tried to ice your hip? What could it hurt?
 
His nurse said he will not give steroid before my 6 weeks visit.
Well she has a point but the stupid thing is that the trochanteric bursa is nowhere near the hip joint!
Funny thing is my 29 year old daughter is having IT band problems now too!!
Ah but it can hit anyone any time! I've had it this past year something chronic but I have a very good chiropractor who has a knack of getting it sorted!
 
I have been sitting on ice all day. I reached the NP that works with my OS. He said he would call flexeril in to see if that helps and email my OS who is out of town. I asked if they would at least take a look and see what is going on. We need to balance out the risk of infection with the risk of me lying flat not moving for a few weeks. Unfortunately prescription not called in and no answer on the phone now
 
Maybe they will call you this evening.
 
We need to balance out the risk of infection with the risk of me lying flat not moving for a few weeks.
Where did these options come from? :scratch: Neither are appropriate for these conditions. You have to be active.
 
Josephine
I am struggling with feeling a bit panicked. Just do not know what else to do. Pain is worse each day and lack of response from my medical team is frustrating. I am up and doing activities of daily living. But other than that I have the least pain lying flat with an ice pack under my hip. I am probably not thinking too clearly:sorry:
 
Hi @cnm1, I understand how you feel. I have had terrible issues with my back with both of my replacements. Usually my back pain is worse than my knee pain and it is non-relenting. It is difficult to do what you need to do with your knees when you have such intense pain elsewhere. I haven't been able to read your complete thread yet so not sure what you think is going on with your hip. I have herniated disks in my back with severe sciatica. I did have an epidural between the two surgeries but it didn't hold.

I am using a neuro muscular massage therapist to help. This is different than a regular spa massage. You should be able to google for one in your area. She works on those muscles that hold my back as well as other issues like my tight IT Band. I am going every week right now. That is in addition to 3 times a week PT. PT does do massage but her primary focus is my knees not my back. The massage therapist focus is what is hurting. I am also really investing trying to find a good chiropractor. If you get a good one I think they can help. I just want to make sure of who I am going to. I'm sorry, I do understand how frustrating it cause because right now my back hurts worse than my knee! I also have a e stem unit that I had already and that really helps my back. I don't know exactly how they work but I know they have an effect on your pain receptors. I hope you find relief!:boohoo::friends:hugs
 
At this early stage ADLs are all you need. The first month is all about icing, elevating and resting, but this seems to what hurts you. I'll tag @Josephine to see if she has any other advice.
 
I would definitely research a stim machine. You can find them quite inexpensively on Amazon. Both my husband and I have used it many times for various pains.
 
Thank you for your replies. The hard part about being alone is it is easy to get stuck in mental loop of fear when you are in pain. We have a July 4 block party that I could not attend - too far to walk. My neighbor brought a plate of food and I burst into tears. Another neighbor's husband is a home health nurse and he is dropping by later to check on me. The little things help.
 
Hugs to you. I'm not alone and I still get caught in that mental loop of fear. Tears are normal, I'm glad cause I'm really tearful with these surgeries. That's not typical of me to not be able to control tears but it's the new me for now. Glad someone is coming by to check on you. I am about 11 days ahead of you. It's hard but it gets better. Sometimes it's a good day and then two bad ones. Eventually you start having more good ones! Use this forum so you don't feel alone!:friends::flwrysmile:
 
I remember in my first couple of weeks after my surgery my daughter called and I was crying because my husband hadn't filled our bird feeder like I always did and my Cardinals weren't coming to the feeder. She was like - I have no idea what you are taking about!! I look back now and laugh at myself. This all to shall pass!
 
Hi Cnm1. So glad you have neighbors to come check in on you - and this forum is really helpful for not feeling so alone. I hope you will hear from the medical team soon so you can get the pain managed better. I wish for you more rest, less pain, and a few smiles. Don't worry about the crying -- sometimes its cathartic.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom