TKR CNM1 new knee June 16<

Walking without assistance will definitely help with work. Many TKRs have found it takes a while for the rest of our body to catch up with the knee that is now newly aligned and the improved gait that comes with TKR. Enjoy the rest of your time off! When I went back to work part of me wondered why I wanted to return so much, early morning wake ups were the worst!
 
Your good things are really good! Maybe remind yourself there will be lots more of this as you continue to recover. Going back to work right now will be challenging, at least for the first few weeks, but it might be just what you need to feel more connected to your "former" self. Getting back to normal is so very healing. If it gets to be too much, though, see about taking more time off, or scheduling in a way that gives you more breaks. Your knee may need icing again with your new level of activity. It really sounds like you're doing well!
 
I had my last PT appt Weds and have decided PT just does not work for me. We started out gentle but even though I was developing more back pain, she recommended more activities. Mainly stretches. Yesterday she had me doing "bridges" and I said this just hurts so we stopped.:oyvey: Of course I had an awful night.
Today, I saw a chiropractor. She said this is an inflamed muscle issues not spine. Stop all the stretches. Just TENS, dry needle, and trigger point work today. I almost cried. I felt so relieved that someone acknowledge what I thought was happening. :) :-) (:
When I look over my MANY experiences with PT, except for hand exercises after hand surgery and water therapy; most seem to increase my pain and cause problems. Mad at myself for not stopping this 2 weeks ago.
Feeling a bit more optimistic after tearful evening. What a roller coaster ride recovery can be. I think I am going to look at photos of past trips to remind myself of why I did this surgery and why working is important ($$$$)
I am so grateful for this site. It really has helped me make better decisions for myself (even a little delayed).:friends:
 
It's almost 3 months since your TKR and I think that's been plenty long enough to be going to PT. I'm glad you've stopped. I hope your back starts to settle down now.
 
If you feel you no longer need PT, chances are you don't need it. There's nothing PT can offer that you can't, realistically, do on your own. Well, maybe massages. PTs do know their anatomy. But the exercises you can do on your own, if you feel like you need them. Your activities of daily living afford plenty of exercise by themselves, more so as you are able to do more. At this point in your recovery, I bet you can do quite a lot. :)
 
I went to PT for 6 weeks, while I loved my therapists and they (the 2nd group) never hurt me, I have found walking is helping to strengthen my leg more than anything. But going back to work will be all you need for a while.
 
The PT started out really well. She seemed to understand that it was only about my hip pain. She just did not listen when I said - these stretches seem to hurting my back. I cannot tell how many times I have had PT and when I said this is making things worse; they said that is not possible.
I am looking forward to seeing my patients - many of them hate it when I am gone. I need distraction from my discomforts that living alone does not provide. Too much time to worry!!!
I was surprised at how much the chiropractor and I agreed on the assessment. Josephine's positive comments about chiropractors opened my mind to giving them a try:angel:. I did eliminate any chiropractors with crazy alternative stuff/products for sale on their web sites. And I was ready to walk out if I got weird vibes.
 
Getting back to work is wonderful. It just reaffirms that you're back to normal and everything is as it should be. You'll be tired at first, and your knee may complain. If so, you know what to do. And I'm glad to hear you found a chiropractor you can work well with. It's amazing how some medical professionals think they know more about our bodies than we do. Sure, they know more about medicine, or PT, or whatever their specialty might be, but if you say something is hurting your back, or making it worse, they really should believe you.
 
I try to use my experiences as a patient when I see my patients. I think it is one of the reasons I am good at my job. It is nice when bad/unpleasant experiences can be used in a positive way!!
 
Sometimes you have to have gone through something to really understand how it feels. Glad you are looking at the positives.
 
What a blessing you are to your patients!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom