TKR CNM1 new knee June 16<

I agree. Try making an appointment for just your hip. It need not be with your OS, either. I worked for years with an orthopedic doctor who was not a surgeon. He specialized in non-surgical treatment of hips and knees. When it came time for surgery, I picked my own surgeon (not the one he recommended) and considered that a separate thing. Of course, if you want this OS for your hip, might as well stay with him.
 
I did make an appt with a non surgical ortho at a different hospital system in 2 weeks. I would have understood needing a separate appt. I did not understand being dismissed with no plan/evaluation.
 
I don't blame you for being upset. It would have miffed me, too. At least you have an appointment now and can get your hip looked at.
 
I had horrible hip bursitis about a year before my TKR. It went on for a month. My old ortho kept trying to tell me it was sciatica. No go. I had that for the last month with both pregnancies and I knew this was different. We argued, he xrayed. Nothing. He finally sent me in for physical therapy. Largely because I don't think he knew what else to do. I did not want any more steroids and he had no other answers. That was the first time I'd been to a physical therapist and I had no idea what to expect. She gave me several strteches for hip to do at home. She wanted me back but I had not met my deductible for the year yet and $100 a pop was too much to put out a couple of times a week. I faithfully did my exercises at home , mostly in the hot tub at that time, and low and behold the bursitis gradually went away over the course of the next month. That was the beginning of my improvement. I added bicycling and other stretches and worked up to 20 minutes twice a day of hot tub exercises. It really did help with pain and flexion. I think you can look on line for bursitis physical therapy exercises and they do not have to be done in a hot tub, I just happen to have one and they were more comfortable for me that way.
 
I have been those types of stretches over the last 3 wks. Slight improvement but really limited I can do. Sitting on a hard chair in the office was brutal. I had 1 steroid injection in this hip 17 years ago and have been good since. I made some more phone calls and actually found an appt for next weds with a non surgical MD. They specialize in sports medicine tendinitis stuff and it is in my preferred hospital system. I asked them if it is ok that it is not sports related - I am just an old lady :umm:and they said yes. When I look at his web site - it really is the stuff I have trouble with - so I am relieved. I think this will work out for the best. It gives me another needed resources to keep me moving and not just dealing with a surgeon.
I think I am also concerned that this be resolved before the end of the year. I have met my max for out of pockets expenses for the year. Any additional testing/treatments are no additional costs ( I am at over $5000 for this year, with dental 9000). I do not want to wait and then in Jan - oh lets do this really expensive test/treatment.
 
I hope this new doctor has an answer for your hip pain. Do let us know how you get on, won't you?
 
Great that you have an appointment in a couple of weeks for that painful hip!
 
:wowspring:Great 1st outpatient physical therapy appointment!! After her assessment of my knee (full extension, 120 flexion and good leg strength), she said we would focus on my hip with stretching. She emphasize it should not hurt. Pain causes inflammation that causes swelling that causes more pain!!! I was so relieved to find someone who "got it". I was pretty stiff and uncomfortable today because I mowed the lawn yesterday. She said don't do that yet!! Hopefully the non surgical ortho is a good tomorrow!!:yes!:
 
What great numbers for 6 weeks! Your PT is a blessing! The BS way is their way! Yippee!
 
I had pain in my hip before my surgery. Drove me crazy but I never did anything about it. I didn't notice it as much after my surgery probably because I wasn't moving as much and on the pain meds. Recently it started to flare up again.

Last week at my 4 month check up I asked my PA about it and without any hesitation she said let's do a cortisone shot. It worked! I have basically no more hip pain and it even alleviated some of my lower back pain. Now with my back I can stretch it out to get it to go away. I couldn't do that until I had the hip injection.

I hope you are able to get one. Wish I had done it sooner.
 
More good news. :spin:My appointment with the non surgical orthopedist went great. Very thorough assessment of hip with history, exam, xrays and u/s. He felt it was bursitis/gluteal tendinitis. He recommended a steroid injecton which I got. Icing right now because between a long drive (40 minutes each way), lots of sitting and someone putting a needle in my hip. My hip is killing me. He said give it a few days to calm down. Really like the guy and his team. I would be thrilled with a 50% pain reduction. He also warned me that if the pain resolves that does not mean I should go do any big increases in activity. Slow and focus on stretching.:flwrysmile:
 
Good report cnm! Hope the injection brings you some relief over the next few days. Yes, take it easy!
 
Glad you got the injection! Hope it works as well for you as it did for me.
 
My doc always had me ice after a steroid injection.
 
Well I was hoping to post about my grand recovery but the truth will have to do:heehee:. Knee is doing great - some discomfort but I do not use ice any more. The hip is 80% better since the injection (but still requires care to avaoid flare ups) but lower back started hurting the week after the hip injection. It seemed to coincide with walking more. I have been doing PT for gait and stretching. Not much pain lying down or even walking; more bending, rolling over and getting up.
For pain I am just using tylenol - tramadol seemed to mess with my brain ( which does not need messing with!!). NO ice on hip anymore - it seemed to aggravate the hip. The pain is in not spine relate - I think it is SI joint. I have a call into a chiropractor to see if that helps. It does go up the sides of my back but not to the spine.
I am surprised at my level of fatigue right now (11 weeks). I start back to work next Mon with a very slight reduction in my work schedule for the l st month ( 9 instead of 10 days a pay period). I am worried about the fatigue and back pain as a nurse but I am hoping it might cheer up being around people more. Being home alone for 12 weeks while feeling crummy sucks. I tapered off the tramadol but think that may be some of my moodiness too. (The picture is of me in Ireland last April at a sheep farm). A happier time :)
 
I hope your pain subsides soon. I can't imagine having the Hip and back problems after getting your knee fixed. Try to get the rest your body needs.
 
I am a divorced woman, so I know exactly how you feel being alone for so long. I felt so bad the first month, I didn't care that I had no company, then I started to feel better on my second month and started missing people. Bonesmart became my company. I spent most of my waking moments on here.

Can you call some friends and tell them that you are feeling better and am ready for company? People might not think you feel up to it at first and don't want to disturb you. Just let them know you're OK now.
 
I was still feeling energy drain when I returned to my classroom at 12 weeks. Even teaching mornings only I went home to nap and elevate. Feeling left out of things was hard for me too. I had a visitor most days, but it wasn't the same as participating in life activities. By 4 months post op I was back into the swing of things socially.

You may want to have a few meals ready because you won't feel like cooking when you get home from work. I also did all my errands/shopping on the weekends due to exhaustion.

Take a look at this link, it may help with your hip pain.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/sciatic-nerve-pain.3889/
 
OJ2 - I just was not prepared for the back/hip pain. I have never had back problems. I worry about it becoming chronic like so many friends.
Sistersinhim I have tried to stay in touch with people but my energy level is so low it hard to do more than talk. I did go out to dinner with a friend last week and that was great until I tried to stand up. I did not think my back would let me stand up!!! I looked 100 years old and felt it!! Unfortunately 3 friends on the street have moved away in the last year. It was so nice to just go outside and talk with them.
KarriB I am already planning to cook a giant meatloaf and bucket of mashed potatoes the day before I go back to work!!
I should say some good things. I can walk about 1 mile with no assistance. I really love that. I control any back pain while walking by putting my thumb on my SI joint - no pain while walking then. I did have a dinner one night with friends who brought take out - we had a blast. It is hard to tell the difference between fatigue and depression sometimes. My daughter visited for 5 days - pure joy.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom