PKR Clunky Knee

Think i am paying for doing too much this week. Tried to walk more and more this week without any sticks in pain today what a rollercoaster ride this recovery is tired and worn out today.
 
Hi Ginger1210,

Chin up - sounds like you are doing pretty well! The mental toll is something I was unprepared for. I was also unprepared to be so drained at the end of the day.

My wife made a comment that I am not as active as I used to be and I am sitting there thinking "I think I did a lot today all things considered!". She wasn't prepared for how long it takes to get back to "normal". Neither of us had ever had joint replacement and our parents that did, we don't live with them, when we would see them they wouldn't complain or anything.

There is a learning curve and I myself did a lot of reading here before and since my surgery. I only joined recently because I am at that point where I can be easily frustrated by wanting things to move faster than they are. I am doing really well I have been told but there is that part of me that thinks maybe I can do better. Of course, I think that's just the stubborn in me!

Merlin
 
Thanks Merlin I am in the same boat so to speak neither my wife or myself have any experience of joint replacement. I was in a lot of pain before this op but was just about managing it and working. But some days post op have not been good and i have questioned myself about if it was worth it ? My Physio Nurse is happy with my progress so far. I am being put under a little pressure to return to work after four and a half weeks, i am nowhere near that stage yet.
Thanks for the support.
 
Into week 5 of recovery and like the experienced members on this forum say it's like a rollercoaster ride. I actually went to work today just back on light duties to cover a member of staff who was on holiday. I was ok until around 3:00pm, then my knee began to complain and stiffen up, mainly just below my knee cap, i took some ice with me so i could elevate and ice. Finished at 5:00pm home and more ice. Not to bad really.

Being super critical and a major worrier i did ask my surgeon when he performed the PKR that he would inspect the rest of my knee before just doing a PKR he assured me that is standard procedure and if he felt the need for a full TKR then he would do it. I just hope the pain under and around my kneecap is just inflammation form doing a little to much in one day. Lets see what tomorrow brings.
 
You will have pain and swelling for a while, when you do something your knee doesn’t like. Try not to worry that something is wrong.
 
Thanks Jockette that's encouraging. Don`t know what i would be like without this forum.
 
But some days post op have not been good and i have questioned myself about if it was worth it ?
Hi @Ginger1210 - You're only 5 weeks into a year-long recovery and it sounds as if you're doing well. I don't think there are many people who are sure they've done the right thing this early in recovery. You will think it was worth it, but that will come later in recovery.

Recovery is a lot of ups and downs, two steps forward and one step back, a bit like this diagram that someone drew for us:
[Bonesmart.org] Clunky Knee



I actually went to work today just back on light duties to cover a member of staff who was on holiday. I was ok until around 3:00pm, then my knee began to complain and stiffen up, mainly just below my knee cap,
5 weeks is really early to be going back to work. We usually recommend taking about 12 weeks and then doing a Phased return to work

I hope that you won't be working full-time just yet.

If possible, go home when you feel you've had enough - and then spend the remainder of the day resting, icing and elevating your knee.
 
Thanks Celle i love the diagram that is it in a nutshell. I see my physio nurse today and my 6 week appointment with my surgeon is next week. I will go with there council and listen to them. i have to admit o am a super worrier and may be a little of a control freak so when something is out of my control i do get frustrated.
 
@Ginger1210 Just to provide some encouragement to you --I had a Right PKR (medial) like you did. Mine was 4 1/2 years ago. I am very pleased with it. I do recall going through many of the same stages of questioning and concern that you are experiencing. I was a MAJOR sweller. I discovered BoneSmart about 4 weeks into my recovery stage then and began following the advice here. If something caused a sharp pain or throbbing, I stopped! If I was really concerned because my knee was experiencing a major change, I did call my surgeon's office. It was helpful to use the guidelines from my surgeon's office that listed signs that something really was wrong (looking for infection, etc.) That seemed to calm me down because it always turned out to be part of the normal recovery process. Or a result of overdoing it.
I iced and elevated much of the day (so I would say keep doing that), mixed in with little strolls and simple household chores. I set very minimal goals for myself, such as walking one minute longer the next day. At about the one-year mark, I was able to do so much more than I could pre-PKR. I remember standing in my kitchen after cooking a large meal for friends and actually calculating how long I had been on my feet without pain. I couldn't believe it! I also was able to hike about 3-4 miles or ride my bike 10 miles at a stretch, until my other knee started complaining.
I am recovering from a TKR (other leg this time) and look forward to a successful recovery. I hope this helps you. As they say here -- everyone's recovery is different.
 
Last edited:
Wow Flutter 1 that`s great to hear and thank you for the advice. I have just had my Physio appointment and they were really good and gave me the same advice as you. The Nurse explained i was only a fraction into my recovery and just to ice and elevate and not to push it. Its great to hear from someone who has been through this and is on the other side. I sincerely hope your latest recovery goes well.
 
Had Physio appointment yesterday. I think the physio nurse must take a leaf out of the Bonesmart ethic she did not force anything no pushing my ROM or set goals. I actually got admonished for trying to do too much. Her parting words were rest elevate and ice. Sound advice.
 
Wow, I wish mine had been like that!
 
Good couple of days i managed around 2000 steps yesterday i was stiff and sore and had to ice and elevate through the night my new knee was a little angry. awoke early today and thought i would struggle. Once i got going i managed to do a little gardening and use the lawn mower i will take that as a bonus now rest and ice. see what tomorrow brings.
 
Into week six i managed to cut my lawn on Saturday and do a little gardening it felt good with minimal pain. Sunday did a little more outside and Monday washed my car and did more household chores. feeling a little over confident, went into work Tuesday afternoon after doing my physio, i did nearly 2000 steps. feeling it now i have made my knee a little angry and i have noticed the more it swells the more it clunks and feels notchy. I guess this is due to my leg muscles becoming fatigued and tired and losing stability. I have my six week appointment with my surgeon on Thursday. That is my only concern hopefully he will will have some answers. I know for a fact i could not of done all this 2 weeks ago, little improvements each week.
 
You're doing very well, @Ginger1210 , but beware of doing too much, too soon. Just because you can do things doesn't always mean that you should do them.

You're doing a lot more than we recommend at this early stage of recovery.

Do check your activities against this article:
Activity progression for TKRs
Although the article is aimed at people who have had a TKR< recovery from a PKR is usually no faster than from a TKR.
 
Thanks Celle you are right. I will consult with my surgeon on Thursday and see what he also recommends he is very much in the same mind as Bonesmart. On the plus side i was that worn out yesterday i did sleep better.:heehee:
 
Wow another day struggling i must have really overdone it the last couple of days. I see my surgeon tomorrow i am terrible with asking the correct questions i will write them down before tomorrow. Being new to this kind of recovery. Any advice on what questions to ask would be most welcome.
 
Had my surgeons appointment yesterday he is happy at my recovery at this stage and answered my concerns over the clunky feeling in my knee. Basically it just needs time for my knee muscles to recover and strengthen and it will slowly diminish. He has released me to go back to work phased return on very light duties which i am happy with. I have bought a little table top freezer to keep my ice packs in while i am at work to keep elevating and icing, And have been given a desk position where i can rest and do physio. We will see how it goes.
 
All sounds good, Ginger. Just take it slow.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom