PKR Clunky Knee

Another roller coaster week Monday Tuesday felt good this has minimal pain Wednesday was tough my knee ached a lot even at rest. Thursday, Friday good days. But today wow it aches like mad i am hoping the spells between my bad days increase over time. Plus had my first Covid jab this morning it has made me feel pretty rough.
 
We do call this recovery a rollercoaster! Very normal to have up and down days.

Hope your current reaction to the vaccine will settle down quickly.
 
Second day back at work half days. I have done just over a mile a day walking according to my phone. Today a little to much started work at 6:30am and didn't finish until 2:00pm my knee has rebelled. Rest ice and early nights sleep. Will have to try and stick to my 4 hour working day.
 
Well after a tough day yesterday i was surprised i slept last night with no ice needed. Today just did over half a mile at work and did not suffer to bad. I took my pain meds in the morning (Ibuprofen and paracetamol ) around 6:45AM worked until 12;30 came home and iced. I have not had any painkillers since then and it is now 8:30pm. I still have my clunky feeling but if i tense my leg muscles this goes away, My right inner quad muscle is so weak its like jelly, and i know when i am tired my knee becomes unstable. Does anybody have any suggestions on the correct exercise to strengthen my medial side of my knee.
 
Help.Into my seventh week post op now back on half days at work. I can`t say this hasn't been tough because it is. The problem i am having seems to be internal swelling just below my knee cap near where my partial implant is. If i spend more than around 5-10 minutes on my feet it begins to swell and cause me discomfort and pain which progressively gets worse. I have rested at work but by dinner time today my knee was completely stiff and sore. I am pretty worried. I keep reassuring my self that over time this will subside and i will slowly get better. This has left me feeling a little disheartened today.
 
This has left me feeling a little disheartened today.
I know just how you feel, I had that issue with my partial also, when I spent too much time on my feet. You are probably back to work sooner than your knee is ready for. I understand the need to go back to work, but your knee does not. It has its own healing timeframe, and if you upset it, it’s going to let you know.

You’re just going to have to try to help your knee be as content as you can, within the parameters that you can. Hopefully you can both come to an agreement in time.
 
@Ginger1210 ... At seven weeks post op, I think you’re in one of the most emotionally difficult times of recovery. At that point for me, I was often so frustrated with the slow recovery process, and I just wanted my life back. I was tired of the swelling, the discomfort and limitations, and the setbacks. Even if I had a relatively inactive day, my new knee would be stiff and really ache each evening, and I remember worrying that it would never get any better. But it did get better, and your knee will, too! I’m retired, so I never had the pressure of returning to work, but I’m guessing that’s added some emotional stress for you, along with the physical challenge of recovering from this surgery. Keep us posted on how you’re doing. This site is loaded with people who understand what you’re going through and truly do care!
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the support and experience. I expected it to be tough going back to work but it still shocked me. This forum is the best. Last day at work today and weekend off. You are so right i can rest at work and ice but on a couple of occasions i haven't done this and that`s when my new knee rebels big time. I need to manage myself better. Thanks again for the advice i don`t know what i would do with out it.:thankyou:
 
At 16 weeks here I still worry about not progressing fast enough and then my dear wife reminds me of what I went through and how well I am "actually" doing. Still, for most of us it just isn't fast enough!

It sounds like you are doing very well and although I know it's hard to pat ourselves on the back, revel in everything you do for the first time with your new knee! I've tried to convince my wife I should get a gift every time I do something for the first time and her response was that she would make me some cookies and freeze them...LOL
 
Thanks Merlin Wizard it is a long road to recovery i actually went out yesterday to a Friends BBQ and a great time i also cut my lawn. Suffering today though i had a couple of beers so a little delicate as well. Early night tonight and see what my knee feels like tomorrow.
 
Hi into week 8 of recovery and second week back at work part time. Managing my work load a little better this week on average doing around 2500 steps a day which is just a little over a mile. I still have pain and stiffness but i think gradually it is receding week by week. My clunky feeling is subsiding i am still not at a level where i can really appreciate the benefits yet. Patience is key.
 
But you are making progress, and your outlook is great, so that’s good. Better days are ahead!
 
Thanks Jockette the only real pain i have now is just below my kneecap on the inside of my knee. Its not under my kneecap. It feels like a tight ball of muscle that becomes painful if a walk or stand for to long. I worry a lot. just before my surgery i asked my surgeon if they check the rest of the knee for signs of damage before deciding on a PKR or a full TKR ? He assured me that`s what they do. He is a professor and performs more PKR`s in England than any other surgeon so i guess i just have to trust him and give it time. But as you good people say i am only into to my eighth week and back at work i think maybe i am being to hard on myself as usual.
 
It’s so hard to relax in this recovery, especially if it’s our first time. They really don’t prepare us well for the recovery, and it’s a slow recovery, with ups and downs, so it’s very easy to worry that things are not right.

But, honestly, try to relax. Your body knows how to heal and it’s trying hard to do that. All will be well.
 
Well coming into my ninth week of recovery just been away for the weekend which consisted of a hours drive and a fair bit of walking I managed 1.5 miles on Friday and 2.5 miles on Saturday plus our room was three flights upstairs definitely over did it and suffered last night but on the whole enjoyed it
 
I’m glad you enjoyed your time away, take extra good care of your knee now to reward it for not getting really upset with you for all that activity. :wowspring:
 
Into week 9 of recovery a little different this week my two sons have both tested positive for Covid so isolation for 10 days. On the plus side i have put my stationary bike in the house from my garage and i am using that two or three times a day 5 minutes pedaling forward and 5 minutes pedaling back. This has helped reduce my stiffness below my kneecap. straight after each session its ice and elevate it has helped reduce the pain and helped me sleep a lot better. My 2 lads are ok they just feel like they have a bad flu. Maybe another small turning point.
 
Best wishes that your sons recover well!

I’m glad you had even a small turning point! Every encouragement helps! :happydance:
 
Coming to the end of week 9 of recovery. This week has been a little different. Isolation all week as my two sons both have Covid but thankfully they are ok. Worked from home and used my exercise bike a little more each day and went on short walks each day averaged around a 845 yards a day and 30 minutes on my stationary bike in three 10 minute sessions. Ice and elevation after each time. This week i have only been taking ibuprofen twice a day and have not been too bad. I still have stiffness and pain but i think it is a little less every week. Sleeping a little better. the big test will come next week when i return to work hopefully Covid free. :loll:
 
I found short walks (outside) not only good for the knee but nice just for the change of scene. :walking:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom