PKR Clunky Knee

Busy day to start week 10 of recovery back at work after Covid isolation started at 7:00 am. Physio appointment at 11: 00 am my physio nurse is just like Bonesmart didn't even do any physio just talked and discussed my knee. She was pleased with my progress and asked me to continue with gentle physio or just going to work is enough for my young knee. I explained how much this forum has helped me so much physically and emotionally and she was fascinated and agreed that the advice given makes a lot of sense. Her parting words were listen to your knee it will tell you when it is not happy. returned to work and finished a 5:00 pm. I am a little sore and stiff home for ice and rest.
Lets see what tomorrow brings.
 
I've had a lot more steps forward than backwards. We all have "those days" but I can tell you I had an awful lot of "those days" before I had the surgery.

The weird pains are hard to get used to. If I experience one, I know enough about the anatomy that I can isolate where the pain is coming from and what I did to irritate it. Sometimes it's just the remodeling that causes the pain. In my case my LCLs need to shrink and my MCLs need to stretch. That and I know the bones will remodel over time to the new weight distribution.

I think I am in the majority when I say this was the best thing I've ever had done for my health. I am down another 10# because I have been able to be more active than I was before surgery and outside of a few nights of mild pain, I can take that over being kept up all night with throbbing pain like I had before surgery.

I've gotten used to the clicking in my knees and it has gotten better as the muscles begin to strengthen. I know I am nowhere near the finish line yet but as I told my wife, if it never gets any better than it is right now it's still 1000% better than I was before surgery.

Chin up!

Merlin
 
Coming to end of week 10 of recovery back at work full time. Had three good days but today my knee is not happy definitely over did it the last couple of days. very sore and swollen. Friday tomorrow. I can rest up at the weekend. Even though it has been hard this week i know i could not have done this a month ago so little improvements. I am looking forward to the day when my knee does not get angry at me.
 
coming to the end of week 10 of recovery. Back at work full time and it is tough but thankfully i can ice and elevate at work. I would be kidding if i didn't say my knee gets angry with me but i try to pace myself. I have good days and bad. Today i did a little gardening and moving furniture then tried to help my wife build a bed, i twisted a little to sharply and my knee rebelled big time. Back to icing and resting. Ready for work again tomorrow.
 
Your recovery is coming along well and you have a wonderful attitude about how to handle it, and your expectations are just right. It is very normal for the knee to rebel at times and you’re right to rest it afterwards. You’re doing great!
 
Thanks for the encouragement jockette it means a lot. this forum is a tremendous help.
 
Half way through week 12 of recovery i have been back at work for over a month now and into my third week back full time. I manage to do around 2 miles a day according to my stepper on my phone, this does not come without a measure of swelling and pain. I ice and elevate as much as i can at work and take ibuprofen for the pain. Hopefully week on week i will get a little better patience is key. It always makes me smile when i remember the surgeon telling me i would be back to normal after three months. Not quite there yet.
 
Ok so a little advice needed please. I am 12 weeks post op now and back at work full time but office based i do short walks every day that amount to around 2 miles. a day. I thought i should try and do some physio at home as well. 10 minutes on a exorcise bike then a few leg raises using a resistant band and some stretch`s . This has made my knee super angry the next day. And very painful to walk or stand. Not sure why am i overdoing it??
 
Yes, in my opinion! Your work is exercise enough. All the rest is unnecessary and overdoing it. Just the fact that your knee is hurting so much will tell you that. Once home from work, elevate and ice and rest for the remainder of the day.
 
I liked to do the exercise bike for about 5 minutes or a few heel slides in the morning to loosen up. But no more than that on work days at 12 weeks.
When I got home I flopped on the couch with my ice and elevated.
 
Thanks for the advice i was in full blown panic mode because of the pain i am in especially today. Had to double up on painkillers just to get through the day. Probably the worst i have had post op for a long time. Rest and ice tonight hopefully better tomorrow.Thanks for all your advice. It is sometimes scary thinking i will never be better.
 
Sounds like you are doing very well!

You also seem to be as about as patient as I am with this journey - not very =).

I am 21 weeks out and while the pain isn't really bothersome, it's shocking to have some really good days then all of a sudden some bad ones. I had a really good day, then a not so active one, then the 3rd day I was in in pain, swollen, etc.

It's a roller coaster ride but as you progress the ride evens out a little bit more and you learn what your body can handle, which will increase over time.

I am struggling this week myself. I had a busy week last week, did a lot of walking and standing for hours, gardening, yard work, cooking, grilling - etc. Sunday I was tired but not sore. Monday I was a little sore, yesterday more sore and today I am just feeling icky. Then again, I didn't take it easy Monday or Tuesday either. So I am guessing I am paying for last week. Nothing of concern, I just thought I was past all of that - guess I was wrong!
 
That is it in a nutshell last week i just worked and came home rested and iced. This week i thought lets do a little more but i guess my knee is not ready yet. Plus i have had to change footwear from my comfy old work boots that i have put gel insoles in. To new shoes for office work these have hardly no shock cushioning at all and stupid me thought i would be ok. Well tomorrow i am going to put my Gel insoles into my new shoes. I hope you begin to feel better soon Merlin Wizard. And thanks for the support.
 
Half way through week thirteen of recovery i have been a little better this week. My main problem is the tight band feeling around the front of my knee which causes stiffness and pain. I still get discomfort under my knee cap this does worry me slightly as i keep thinking maybe this would not be there if i had had a full T.K.R. but reading a lot of threads here suggests that these symptoms are quite common in both types pf procedures. Again i am over analyzing.
 
It is so easy to over analyze, I did that, too!

13 weeks is approximately 25% healed in the 52 week recovery. You are doing a great job of hanging in there. :egypdance:
 
My surgeon said the same thing - back to normal in 3 months….
I am at week 9 and doing very well and I know it is going to take a full year to recover
The PT are trying to focus on strength training now
But I am stopping PT for now
Have resumed Tai Chi and Silver Sneakers Program and on other days walk around the neighborhood
 
End of week 13 of recovery i have had a pretty good week still averaging 2 miles a day in short walks and standing for a little longer. I am icing once a day at work. I still take pain medication (ibuprofen and co-codamol ) but i have reduced the amount i was on pre operation. I thought today i would just rest but i have manged to wash my car and cut the lawn. Just resting and icing now. lets see what week 14 brings?
 
Suffering today i took my son out for his 21 birthday yesterday. Had a great day and walked about 2 miles but boy i am feeling it today. Icing and resting today knee is not happy with me. guess its all part of the recovery journey. My knee still gets tight when i walk and i tend to limp a little. I try to walk properly but my leg is just not strong enough yet.
 
I hope you enjoyed the day with your son, in spite of a sore knee afterwards. :)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom