Hi Hippie chick,
Will you have any help at home? I didn't have issues cooking, I could stand at counter and stove to make quick meals, nothing gourmet for sure for awhile.
Cleaning was basic stuff, could make the bed, had help changing sheets and doing laundry then I figured out a way to get my laundry down the stairs, tied in plastic trash bag and tossed down the stairs!
Be sure to have grabbers, I used a long kitchen tongs that I had to get stuff off floor that I dropped and I seemed to drop a lot of stuff!
My partner was amazing and helped with low stuff in cabinets. He's seen me through broken ankle and hip, poor guy! But he's very nurturing, he takes care of his Mom 2 days a week (she has dementia), and is so kind.
Patience of a saint.
As far as walking unassisted we all strive to do that but if you need cane use it, better than falling. I was never ashamed or embarrassed to use walker or cane, and I was also very happy to stop using when time came.
But we all arrive at that time differently so don't feel you aren't recovering, you are just recovering "your way" and your bodies way.
I wish you happy days ahead.