BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] ChrissW's recovery thread<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by ChrissyW, May 13, 2019.

1. Trudijane

Trudijane junior member

United States United States
    You may have already mentioned it, but how many weeks post-op are you?

2. Trudijane

Trudijane junior member

And here I thought I was alone. We’re about the same recovery time. Right now, I am able to take baby steps without my cane, or at least I try to do that lately. I’m always losing my cane and reacher too. But, if I go outside I still take my cane until I feel more confident.

I too have difficulty sitting too long. The discomfort in my thigh muscles (it seems to vary) concerns me and I didn’t know it would take so long to heal, but I see I’m not alone.

I feel as if I’m being talked out of going to physical therapy that has been ordered for me, since I also suspect that it may create more harm than good. (i.e. if they want to test my mobility, there is no way I’m going to cross my bad leg to see how far I could go.

I know it will hurt and I don’t want to do anything that will hurt. Should I tell my surgeon that I don’t want to go to pt? Is there anyone here that this has helped them???

3. ChrissyW

ChrissyW senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thigh muscles seem to have decided they like to spasm once I go to bed so now I'm battling aches on lying down completely on my back, sore bottom if sitting up and then the weird cramping spasms. What adventures, glad I'm a positive person with a glass half full approach!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2019
  4. ChrissyW

ChrissyW senior

Just a simple question today. Is it normal and, if so any ideas why, when I got to bed and try to lay down my operated hip and thigh hurt?

5. ChrissyW

ChrissyW senior

Another positive step. Just back from my physio appointment and getting in and out of the car (as a passenger just to confirm) so much easier than when I left hospital. Physio watched me walk, chatted about how things were going and I'm now down to one stick, keeping the 2nd for any times my body feels it needs it. A really supportive therapist that was very much listen to your body and all the things said on this forum, no pushing me to do anything. Also he said going for a coffee or treat with my hubby, as long as it was just a short journey, would be good so now looking forward to getting to a Costa (UK friends will know the chain). Feeling happy :happydance:

• Like Like x 4
  6. Hoppy Nanny

Hoppy Nanny Sr Bonesmartie

Good report @ChrissyW
    Costa is our favourite coffee chain.. enjoy your freedom!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:hi: Good Afternoon,
    It sounds like you had a satisfying Physio appt and enjoyed grabbing a coffee with hubs. It's so nice to begin getting out and feeling like part of the world again!

I think you should consider Magnesium for the spasms. Nothing to lose and it's good for more than cramps and spasms. I'm not sure why it hurts more at night, sweetie. My best guess is you're trying to be still, there are no other distractions so you're more keenly aware of the major carpentry that's just happened in the hip / thigh area. Flesh cut, major soft tissue trauma, bone sawed, then reamed out so a prosthetic could be placed within. A little graphic, I understand, but it helps put it all into perspective.

Try icing as your falling asleep if you're able to tolerate it, and see if that helps. I fell asleep wit an ice pack affixed to my hip for the first three weeks post op. Would even grab a fresh one on my bathroom run midway through the night.

Hope you have a peaceful evening!
    @ChrissyW

• Like Like x 1
  8. ChrissyW

ChrissyW senior

Hey @Hoppy Nanny nothing beats Costa, have been missing it as prior to surgery I would Indulge in a coconut cappuccino 3 times a week so even just an occasional visit will be a treat.
    Thanks @Layla i gave ordered magnesium and it will arrive tomorrow so hopefully that might help. I did ice last night, it helped a little with the spasms/cramps but melted before any nap however I'm not a quitter so I'm going to try again tonight.m enjoy the rest of your day

• Like Like x 2
  9. ChrissyW

ChrissyW senior

Just thought id pop an update here. Daytime progress is great and this weekend has allowed me to venture out a couple of times and do some shortened, yet normal, things but nighttime still proving difficult. Hope everyone else on this thread is doing well

• Like Like x 2
  10. Layla

Happy Three Week Anniversary! (Yesterday)
    Nighttime will get better, I'll bet even a week or two from now you'll notice a difference.
    Hang in there, you're doing well!
    @ChrissyW

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. ChrissyW

ChrissyW senior

Thank you @Layla I'm so hoping the sleeping improves soon. The sore bottom(sorry to be blunt)isn't a pressure sore but looks like intertrigo so I'm treating it with tea tree and witch hazel but it is that combined with my thigh hurting when lying in bed that causes the problem. Feels like a losing battle most nights because if I try sitting or propping myself the sore hurts and if I lie to take pressure of of the dry, sore area my leg and hip hurts but I try stay as positive as I can as channel positive thoughts and energy so I'm keeping my chin up as they say. I know it is temporary and it is going to be well worth it, and as we are always reminded it is a long journey to full recovery and I'm not prepared to rush anything.
    Thank you for the good wishes

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Try playing with multiple pillows to brace or prop you up. All temporary but I know it's really frustrating. Finding that balance can be challenging. Do everything you can to relax in the early evening. Be sure you are taking your medication and ice and elevate while you are falling asleep.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ChrissyW

ChrissyW senior

Thank you @Jaycey. I've got multiple pillows and one of the v pillows too so will keep trying various positions until I find that winning one:sorry::elevate:

• Like Like x 3
  14. ChrissyW

ChrissyW senior

Just wanting to ask a question here as I haven't actually been on my thread for a while and thought it the best place to ask a specific question. I have mentioned in the past about cramp like spasm in my thigh in an evening/ nighttime. Last night I slept really badly, in fact next to nothing until about 4am.

I've been taking magnesium, as advised but this afternoon I've had not only the strange cramping spasms (almost continuous rather than in spasms to be honest) and a pain in the groin area, very close to the pubic bone.

I've iced and elevated but just wondered if anyone had any ideas and is it anything to be concerned about as on the whole, since my last report and with the exception of aches and bad nights) daytime has been really positive.

15. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    @ChrissyW I get the groin pain if I overdo anything and I've seen others claim the same. Only ice and backing off on activity seem to help me. Think back if you were bending too much or increased your walking / other activities? You are at prime time for overdoing it right now. Just feeling more confident getting in & out the shower or any tiny thing can cause discomfort. Hopefully in that one hour sleep you got you weren't sleep dancing at your fantasy party! It is normal though but it's begging for rest.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. ChrissyW

ChrissyW senior

Thank you @Carriemay60 maybe the traveling on fantasy Friday was to blame but otherwise I don't think I did anything different or increased movements. However it could have been an inadvertent move that I didn't notice maybe?:unsure:

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    That would be my guess. In my very early days I suffered a good bit after turning to flush the toilet in an awkward way. It's so easy to over extend even when we think we are well within our limits.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Layla

Happy One Month Anniversary!
    How are you doing, Chrissy? Wondering if the spasms and groin pain has eased?
    With any luck rest and icing has helped. :fingersx:
    Hopefully you're having a good week. Best wishes for a great Wednesday!
    @ChrissyW

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. HipsterKat

HipsterKat member

@ChrissyW, if it’s any consolation I’ve had the continuous cramping spasms too. In thigh and groin of operated leg, usually in evening. They came out of nowhere, drove me crazy for about a week, and then subsided.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. ChrissyW

ChrissyW senior

Thank you @Layla and @HipsterKat :thankyou:
    I'm still getting the strange, cramps, tightening soasm like sensations and just like you @HipsterKat the evenings tend to be the main time. I'm still not sleeping and my operated leg is what tends to be the problem. If it's not cramps spasms it's twinges or something else. The ache and hurt is more noticeable now but I'm working on the presumption that it is just things healing and everything trying to mend itself. I'm not panicking (at the minute) but it's just frustrating as I didn't think it would be like this and just wish I'd found this site before the surgery as I'd probably have been far more aware of the journey we are each on as individuals and that there is no such thing as a one size fits all recovery. :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1