THR ChrissW's recovery thread

@ChrissyW glad to here things are continuing to improve for you. It’s a slow business though isn’t it! I thought I’d be up and running in no time and that the predicted 6weeks recovery was a maximum time frame. My expectations are being adjusted daily but slow and steady wins the race.
 
Hi @Trudijane , as you'll have read from my posts sleeping is a problem for me too but as all the advice I've received says it is to be expected. I'm impressed you are driving, I know I'm way off that yet but it is at the back of my mind as my driving position here in the uk needs my right leg to do most of the work (manual car not automatic) and it's a scary thought but I'm not dwelling on it because it's weeks away. I have an appointment this week with the PT so that will be my first time in a car since leaving the hospital so let's see how I manage the bum slide in to the passenger seat! Have a good day
 
@phillau43 i was of the same thoughts beforehand so like you say, steady we go! I suppose it's interesting to see what each day brings in our personal recovery world. Enjoy the rest of the day ( not sure about where you are but it's cold in Yorkshire today!)
 
Hi, ChrissyW, I'm on the coast in Lincs, and we are having a cooler, but sunny, day today :).
If you want to add/edit anything to your profile ( location etc ) you can do by hovering mouse over name at the top right and then a drop down menu will appear and you can play with you profile :giggle:
 
Thank you @mollymum . The sun hasn't really shone much, bright but cool. Hope you made the most of it and are you at about the 6 week mark now ? How are you?
 
7 weeks tomorrow, and still limping if I don't use my stick (I have 3 different ones and they ALL get lost around the house!) My thigh pain/discomfort is worse if I sit anywhere for too long, so getting up & walking is always good for me. in general my walking is better week by week and I just ignore the thigh :bored:-- it will go away eventually!
 
Oops forgot to mention that I was given the OK to drive at my 6 week check, as it was my left hip that was done. I think right hips have to wait a few more weeks in the UK in general--maybe 12 weeks?? And it is a great feeling to be driving independently!!
 
I think right hips are when your surgeon gives you the OK - usually 6 weeks. That’s when I was told I could drive.
 
Yes, right hips are cleared earlier as it’s only on the accelerator...
Lefties longer if it’s a manual gearbox and using a clutch!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I was told after 8 weeks I was cleared to drive if I felt safe! In the UK,, Left hip replacement, Manual, clutch and low car !
 
Thanks to everyone. I wasn't sure with the right leg being the accelerator and brake foot and the issue being needing the ability to perform an emergency stop however it's weeks away yet so no worries at the minute. I have my 6 week appointment 17th June so I'll find out then and that's near my birthday so it would be a nice birthday present. Did any of you manage to travel as passengers in highish 4 x4s? I struggled getting in coming out of hospital and have that joy to face when I go see the physio this week.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My husband has a Rav 4 and it was easy! You can use a plastic bag to sit on, and swivel into the car on and also a dressing gown cord to hook your operated leg up. Getting out was easy - just swivelled at right angles to the seat and slid forward until my feet were on the ground and then used the door to balance with and stood up. Make sure the seat is as far back as possible as it makes it easier. I suppose the seat height depends on the make of car…I actually drive a Maxda MX5 and getting out from that was quite a challenge. Still is when a car parks too close to me and I can't open the door wide enough!
 
@ChrissyW - I travelled in our Galaxy from early on. It is high but not as high as some bigger 4x4s. It was easy to get in and out off - big doors and seats just the right height. Also leather seats made swivelling into the car simple. It was much harder to get into our smaller car.
 
Good luck! Do ice when you get back from the Physio - it should help with the treatment and the car journey!
 
Did any of you manage to travel as passengers in highish 4 x4s? I struggled getting in coming out of hospital and have that joy to face when I go see the physio this week.
Happy Monday, Chrissy :wave:
My SUV is highish to enter / exit. I first drove it alone at 3 weeks post op. I am 5' 6 and STILL climb onto the running board to get in. It's just easier. While I can bend comfortably into a 90 degree angle my seat feels too high and it's just not comfortable lifting my leg to access like a lady :curtsey:

Try the plastic bag idea many use. I used it on my trip home from the surgery center after my op. It works great to swivel into windshield facing position. Someone posted a video on it here the other day, I'll try to find it for you.
Hope you're having a lovely day! :SUNsmile:
 
Found it! Fast forward to 12:50

 
Hi again, Chrissy
I noticed you posted a couple questions elsewhere that I'll answer here so that you have the info on your thread. For what it's worth I found this short commentary on weight gain in the BoneSmart Library which you can access here - https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/library.31/

Here's the article - https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/weight-gain-after-surgery.7468/
Now that you'll be pain free and consequently more active, any of the weight you gain will surely fall off quickly.

As far as your hair, I don't foresee a problem with either chair at the salon.
If you envision the position your normally in for a shampoo, it shouldn't be that uncomfortable. You can always warn your stylist of your recent surgery and a possible sudden urge to re-adjust your position, if necessary.
I'm sure he/ she will happily accommodate you.
@ChrissyW
 
Thank you so much @Layla , a great help as always. I'll probably try hairdressers in a few weeks as I have a color done and am usually in about 90mins. Really appreciate the support. I did do yoga, only stopped when it became too painful, but from my reading there are many yoga positions that will not be achievable, and yoga is not encouraged, but I'll look at any possible adapted sequence in about 6months if I do decide to continue
 
I have a 4wd fullsize pickup and my wife has a GMC Envoy 4wd. The Envoy was very easy to get in and out of but the seats were very uncomfortable post op. My pickup is pretty high and no running boards or steps. I used a small plastic step to get in and then picked it up after I was in with my cane. I was driving it at about 3 weeks post op.
I didn't need a plastic bag with any of our vehicles as it wasn't that hard to pivot.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom