Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Chocolate at midnight<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Dabber,
You will have to take care of your aches and pains from your fall, but you will heal and be OK.
You know the drill, Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate.
 
Oh NOOOOO! So sorry to hear that. I fell once. I tripped UP a couple of stairs in an entrance way and miraculously twisted around to take the full blow on my elbow/forearm and plushy bottom. :heehee: Thank God for cushion. I had to ice my arm and take over the counter pain meds. It really hurt, so I can only imagine how you're feeling. :elevate:

Did you go to the Dr and get an X-ray yet?
 
I'm sorry you had a fall, @Dabber . The others have given you good advice.
If you continue to have pain after a few days of resting, icing and elevating, do go to your doctor/surgeon and get things checked out.
Let us know how you get on.
 
I am also sorry. I have had quite a few falls!! I have ADHD and am always rushing!! But, no damage to the knee---mostly to the skin of the knee!!

I personally think that walking is good rehab for a knee and the cancer group sounds like it might be fun.
 
Thank you everyone. I love walking and when I'm asked what outcome I want, I say to walk without pain....I don't drive and have always walked miles but at the moment it's just too painful. It's all being investigated but has become very complex involving the hip and foot.
I'm using plenty of ice-packs, elevating and medicating. I'm thankful I fell directly onto the patella and didn't twist at all.
 
Good move on your part, although I am sure you did not plan this at all. At least you will be walking by the time the spring flowers and plants begin to pop up.
 
I'm so sorry to read about your fall, it must have been really scary. I really hope you recover well from this. Sending lots of love Ann X
 
I could do with a little advice please.
TKR 5 years ago, revision due to lax joint 27 months ago. I have been living with a lot of pain in this knee. I use prescription pain patches on my knee and have had lumbar transforaminal epidural steroid injections, both of which help enormously.
I've just been to see my consultant and my patella needs resurfacing, it is do or don't. I veer towards do. I have other major health issues that have fully occupied my life for 5 years (cancer, heart disease, now PM dependent, severe gastro problems) so how long is recovery from this and what will it be like, please?
 
Last edited:
HI again, @Dabber ,
I'm sorry you've got one more problem. :console2:

Patellar resurfacing is not as radical as a knee replacement, but it will mean more open surgery.
The damaged cartilage will be scraped away from the back of your kneecap and it will be replaced with a plastic button.

I wouldn't expect recovery to take as long as recovery from a TKR, but at first you should follow the same rules - rest, ice, elevate, and take your medications on time. Start exercise gently and slowly, activities of daily living may be sufficient.

From then on, I think your progress will depend on listening to the knee, as it will let you know how much it can handle.
If you're still working, plan to take about 12 weeks off.

Do let us know what you decide and how you get on, won't you?

Best wishes.
 
@Celle thank you.
I've decided to go ahead so I'll update as I go along. I am grateful for your help and advice.
 
Dabber,
Sorry you are facing yet another knee surgery, like Celle says, it is not as radical as a full TKR/revision.
Glad you have made your decision and are moving ahead.
 
Best wishes for a successful procedure.

I love your user name!
 
Good luck with your new repaired kneecap to come!
 
I'm glad you've decided to go ahead with the patellar resurfacing. I'll be looking out for you. :friends:
 
I would just like to ask for a little advice. I'm going ahead with patella resurfacing in a month's time. I just want to be advised I am possibly/probably making the correct decision to have this operation as far as we can tell. My general pain is at the lowest level it has been for many years but I cannot weight bear without pain nor climb stairs with my bad leg leading, walking any distance remains difficult.
I am however dreading the recovery as the past 5 years have been so very difficult with the knee, the cancer etc.
It has taken over 2 years to reach this point after my revision surgery but I would love to have a good pain free prosthetic knee as friends seem to have. My cancer will return and I don't want to spend the next 2+ years with more knee pain than I have already.
I am making the right choice, I hope.
 
Dabber,
Good to see you back, let me tag @Josephine , she may be able to address your concerns about patella resurfacing.
My guess is if it is your patella causing you the discomfort, then the surgery most likely is worth it.
 
I agree with Pumpkln.
If the patella is causing you pain, then have it re-surfaced. Why live in pain when you can avoid it?
 
What are you fearing in this surgery? Your worn patella is causing you pain. The new patellar button will make that stop. There are no issues that can happen that might cause problems later on.

However, the surgery will require an incision which will be pretty much the same as your original knee replacement. That will require a very similar recovery so you need to be prepared to follow the guidelines we give you. I'll repeat them here so you can get prepared!

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds


We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
I had the patella of my revision knee resurfaced on Jan 24th. All seemed to go well for about 3 months and then the patella started slipping laterally when I was lying down. I had physio recommended. Although the patella isn't now moving as drastically as it was, it is extremely painful trying to tackle stairs and steps both up and down, a searing, cutting, stabbing pain in the joint. The knee is back to feeling bulky and heavy too. Getting up from a chair especially a low one is so painful I have to stretch out the leg and use my arms/hands/not very good other knee to avoid weight bearing and often indeed choose not to sit at all. Low loos are very difficult.
I realise it's a tracking problem and see my consultant again on Monday. Any suggestions, please? This is truly getting me down now. It has been 6 years from my primary TKR.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom