THR Chessie checking in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any of you walked on sand post-op yet? Uneven surfaces just kill me.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Normally my BF and I alternate weekends at his house and my house (we live an hour apart) but of course since my surgery he has been the one making the drive here. He is coming up tomorrow, as we have a social event here to attend, but has mentioned that he doesn't think he can stay Sat night. His mom (who takes care of his dog when he comes up) is taking some medication that is making her a bit loopy and she doesn't think she can manage the dog. He kinda implied that he wanted me to go down to his house and stay, but I really am just not feeling ready to be around his dog yet. She is an 85 pound 2 year old lab that jumps and shoves and gets terribly excited about every little thing. On several occasions in the past, she has pushed me (unintentionally of course) in such a manner that hurt my hip so badly I yelled out in pain. My BF would get mad at her and put her out...and then I felt bad. She also jumps up on me, but in the past I had the strength and balance to sharply raise my knee and push her off.

Well, I just can't deal with that behavior yet...but I think he would take it personally if I told him that she is just too rambunctious for me to be around right now. How do I tell him that I want to see him, but I am not comfortable being around the ever-bouncing dog yet...without hurting his feelings?
 
@muckingabout , I have walked on the grass on the side of the road...but not sand yet. I expect that could certainly be a bit of a challenge until we get all of our strength back. I could pull a kayak on the sand pre-surgery, but it was getting harder and harder to do so. I will post as soon as I have been down to the beach and attempted to walk on the sand.
 
@Chessie , it is perfectly reasonable to want to avoid a rambunctious dog this early out of surgery. One push could really do you damage! We have many members who have had to board their bouncy animals for the first 6 weeks of restrictions. I would just be honest - right now it's to dangerous.
 
@Chessie you are doing so well it's amazing! And even back to work so soon but if you feel in shape why not!

@muckingabout Walking on sand is something I'll be doing in 2 weeks, so I hope it won't be too difficult or painful. I'm 23 days post-op and by then it will be over 5 weeks so I hope it will be OK. I'll ask my PT about it Monday. Will you be trying it too?
 
@Cheissie I really think Jaycey is right..... Sometimes it's just best to be honest, also you could tell him that you would feel bAd if he had to scold the doggy or send it out. Had similar situation after my THR when daughter wanted me to look after my little granddaughter who had a flu like coughing virus ..... And I sure did not want to catch it!!! Don't feel bad.... It's self preservation xxxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Chessie

You may notice that I have merged your two threads.

We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern.

In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question.

If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can change it by using the Thread Tools button at the top right of your screen or just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you.

Thank you so much.
 
@Chessie, our dog is a trained service dog weighing in at 80 lbs. One of the hardest parts of the last week post-op was not being able to cuddle with him but we piled onto the bed this morning with him laying along side my op leg. BUT, he is still an obstacle. He lays in my walking path and follows me and the walker to the kitchen so he's still somewhat of a danger. You should go with your gut feeling and be honest about your fears of injury with being around your BF's dog now. Assure him it's not forever but to give you healing time now so the quality of your time together later will be greater. He'll understand. You've come too far to take chances now.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Chessie I have had to mostly avoid my dog. She is 80lbs and very sweet but will still bump you and things that could offset your balance. I have had to pass care over to the family and she comes to visit me a little each day while I am in bed and safe away from her hitting on leaning against my leg.

There will be no falling on my part because of my dog.
 
Thought I would post a 3-week update.

@rans0m00 - I agree with you completely, but I have to admit that I caved on the dog thing. I went to my BF's house, and just had to really stay away from her. For the most part I managed okay but I really had to watch it. Sunday afternoon I was in the recliner and she all of a sudden jumped up and plopped her front paws up on my lap and I just about opened a can of whoop-@ss on her. :holysheep: I yelled and pushed her off....she didn't hurt me but I reacted quickly and and didn't give her the chance.

I walked 3 miles Friday, no cane, and 3 miles Saturday (carried cane and used about 1/4 of the time). Sunday I rested!! Monday I walked 1.5 miles and later did 16 miles on the stationary bike. I had thought I might go to 20, just because I always tend to push myself, but really my leg was getting tired and my brain won out - so 16 was it. And I was fine with that. I did a few machines afterward - most arm/shoulder stuff, and called it a night. Had to leave work early Wed to meet a repairman, and decided to just be lazy for the remainder of the night as my thigh felt like it needed some rest. Felt really good when I got up this morning. I started sleeping on my stomach Monday night too, and that is just blissful for me. I am sleeping so much better now that I can move around and change positions - I still hate getting up in the mornings but at least I am rested when I do.

I am NOT comfortable in this crappy office chair that I use at work. I mean, it's not painful or anything, but it's a short seat, not adjustable, and I think I am so used to the new one I have at home (it is SO comfy) that this thing is just lousy by comparison. Thinking about asking for a new chair - we'll see how that goes.

Everything seems to be going well. I still try to do my PT exercises as they do really help to stretch those muscles in my thigh. Can't believe it will soon be a month!!
 
@Chessie I have caved a little about my dog too. She gets to spend a little more time with me but that's just because at the start she showed that she knows something isn't right and won't even sit very close to me. The most she has done for getting up close was when i was laying down on the bed and she came up and rested her head on my chest. Beyond all touching comes from me and she just stays close.

As long as something doesn't derail things I feel you are on your way to a very quick recovery.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
 
@Chessie, no way I'll even be close to your recovery status at three weeks post op. I'm super-impressed with your stamina but that ain't happening around here.

My muscles are more sore today than since surgery. PT is kicking in, I guess. Gritting my teeth while trying to stay on schedule. More Tylenol. Yuck.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal, I think you are progressing just fine, LOL! I sure am not posting my progress to make anyone think that they are not doing well. My recovery is going so well, I believe, because I did not wait until I was so bad off that I had lost a lot of mobility. I have always been a gym rat and a runner, so for me, when the pain and loss of range-of-motion started really impacting my ability to do my normal activities and my sleep, that was enough for me. If I keep progressing at this rate I'll be ecstatic, but my mantra to others will always be, don't wait!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Chessie I agree with you. I waited so long that I lack all the fitness I had and you still have. Live and learn if I need another I'm lot letting things go so far down before I go in for surgery.
 
@rans0m00 , the crazy thing is, if I had listened to my primary care doc, heck I would have been much worse off as she wanted me to wait I until I was at least 60! It wasn't until I came here to Bonesmart that I got the encouragement to go ahead and do this thing!!! So very glad I found this place! :thumb:
 
@Chessie Yep I followed the Dr's advice and held off. It worked out since mentally I wasn't ready at all even if the dr said we should move ahead with surgery. Even after the head had collapsed I still wasn't so ready.... But at least in my mind I knew it had to be done and I was able to force myself to go through with it.
 
One month update!

Well, actually one month and 2 days. Let's see, I am riding my mountain bike on trails now, a few hills but nothing terribly steep. I rode 7.5 miles today, and about 8 or 9 miles last weekend. I rode the stationary bike at the gym last Monday night, 21 miles, and that really felt good. I drove 5 hours to VA Tech this weekend to take the rest of my son's stuff to him (he drove back on Monday). I walked quite a bit, never used the cane, but I probably should have. Did about half of the Huckleberry Trail on my bike - but the hills got too challenging and it was getting dark fast so I cut it short and headed back. I stayed in his apartment, and slept on an air mattress both nights, and once I figured out how to get the air valve to close and got the thing pumped up properly, I slept fine on it. I never would have been able to do that a few weeks ago! I cut the grass today - huge milestone for me! I have a push mower but it's self-propelled so it's not too strenuous. I still have not completely gotten rid of this limp, but I do feel at times that I am walking without it...seems to come and go. I hope after a couple of more weeks it will work itself out. I plan on doing more treadmill walking next week to see if that helps.

My aunt called today and said "So are you back to 100% yet? LOL! "Heck no!" I said. I told her I thought maybe I was 70 or 75%...and getting better each week. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Chessie, I'd love to write an update like that Friday but my month doesn't remotely sound like yours. So happy for you and your activity level but if I can walk 1/2 mile around our block by then,I'll be doing a happy dance !

Keep up the good work! You inspire us !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks @beachgal. Your surgery was different than mine so I know your progress will be at a different rate, but I will bet we will both be at 100% 6 months down the road, and that is what counts!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom